Minecraft: Mass effect Mashup Pack Review - Iɴsɪɢɴɪᴀ

Iɴsɪɢɴɪᴀ

A13tTUT.png

Minecraft: Mass effect Mashup Pack review

Iɴsɪɢɴɪᴀ

So then, just where to start on this one. Since seeing the little option in the create a map area that allows for new texture packs, I have been anticipating the release of the first texture pack, as I am sure many others have. Although I don't have a lot of time to play, I have found myself getting online more often just to find out what would come and I for one can say I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome.

Not only did 4J supply a texture pack, but an entire DLC of sorts to make this "Mash Up". A package that includes more than just some pretty blocks. Included, you get the Mass effect texture pack, A themed UI, 36 new character skins, 22, yes 22 new music tracks and a pre built map called "Mass effect world" based on the Mars mission from Mass effect 3!

So much to review, so little time!

So then, lets start with the Texture pack itself; Purely an aesthetic pack that makes the most of pretty objects themed around the Mass effect world. I have already come across a few opinions on this, given that for those of you who enjoy playing Minecraft for what it is: A mining game, this texture pack may not be to your liking. It makes use of pretty much every block, giving each their own unique texture that is ideal for building a themed map. But that is all it does. Unless you are willing to search through your inventory to find out exactly what every block is and memorize them, the chances of using this for a classic Minecraft survival game are slim to none.

That being said, the pack itself will cater to many of you who enjoy themed games including Strategy and PVP, where you must play to a story, rather than locating and mining your own resources.

The upsides of the texture pack for me are most definitely the Armor and weapons you can craft. All themed on Mass Effect, the armors consist of different factions, mine being the Blue suns armor. The weapons and mining tools are pretty awesome too!

Next on the Agenda, as it is only a small thing, is the Mass effect UI. Slightly futuristic, not completely true to the game, but, it does what it is needed to do and ties in nicely with the whole pack.

Character Skins. Well, not much to say here. As with all Character skins, they are just blocks with little colored squares and bumps here and there to make them somewhat resemble the character they portray. I think when it comes to character skins, the best ones out there are the ones that are simple, like Super Mario and the such like. When you start adding too much to them, they all begin to look the same. Still for those of you who enjoy a diverse choice of skins, this may be more to your liking.

Music Tracks. Ever turn down your music because the Minecraft music become too repetitive for you? Well no longer, with a new diverse range of music tracks from the Mass effect game, you shouldn't be getting bored of it for a looong time. It was refreshing being able to play minecraft with a whole new everything and have different music too and I'm, sure many of you will agree with me when I say, it almost completes the the whole Mash up.

Last but not least, with no pictures provided (You'll just have to check it out for yourself) is Mass Effect World. 

At first glimpses when you spawn, it seems to be nothing special, just a few buildings showcasing the use of the new blocks and the such like, but as you begin to explore (I suggest using creative mode) you will uncover a lot more than just meets the eye. The first area that really caught my attention really took me by surprise as I begin to explore. I was roaming around outside and noticed a hangar door which I decided to check out and immediately, I was blown away. It was the exact replica of the area in Mass Effect 3 where you first meet Liara T'soni. Covering pretty much the entire mission area. The use of the Textures was simply mind blowing and it no longer felt like I was playing Minecraft, rather I had been thrown into a retro console version of Mass effect 3. Remember those cartridge games where everything simply consisted of blocks, but left you with a sense of wonder and lust of more? Yeah, it felt almost nostalgic.

So then, as I was exploring all of this in the trial version, I could not help but feel it would be overly priced, but no, much to my surprise, it was all up for a great price! $3.99 US and £2.56 UK. To me, this was a huge selling point. All of this for less than a Saver meal at most fast food chains!!!!

For those of you who enjoy themed games, RPG, strategy and anything purely aesthetic, then this is a definite must have!

If you are a die hard miner, insistent that 'ores must be readily distinguishable and noticeable or gtfo', then I would not recommend this as one for you.

So then, here be my summary!

Aesthetics - Emoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gif

Playability - Emoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gif

Value for Money - Emoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gif

Player Appeal - Emoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gifEmoticon-star.gif

17/20

Definitely worth checking out, but may not be to everybody's liking.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...