UNSC Warfare - Browser Based Halo Strategy/RPG/Text Based Game

Glitch100

We just released Battlegroups into testing! You can create Battlegroups and invite your friends! They are just like clans and in time you can do battles with other groups! 

Be sure to check it out!

If you are new to the game and you aren't sure how to play - check out the tutorial video on the front page, or tutorial page!

For all players of UNSC Warfare! 

Currently we are working towards delivering 3 new features:

Achievements! - We have done a lot of the base code for this and its mainly an issue of testing and implementing it into areas that it can be used! Expect this soon!

Design Change! - The Nav bar is bloated so we are changing up the nav design - in doing so we will also be redoing the styles to look better on mobile devices. This takes a while, so its on the backburner for now.

Battle System v2! - The battle system has pulled back an incredible amount of data since testing started at the beginning of February - and with that its time for us to update the Battle System! We are going to be amending the formula we use, probably adding in some additional stats and changing how things work in an attempt to speed it up! This is a big job but it should get done in time!

We hope you continue to enjoy, play and test UNSC Warfare!

Hmm. I was having quite a bit of fun when I first started playing, but nowadays, it's something a bit more akin to a few clicks I do when I'm off procrastinating in the middle of class or something....

Battles for me are waaaay too slow now....:(

But oh well.

Hmm. I was having quite a bit of fun when I first started playing, but nowadays, it's something a bit more akin to a few clicks I do when I'm off procrastinating in the middle of class or something....

Battles for me are waaaay too slow now.... :(

But oh well.

Hey Dude!

I appreciate the feedback - do you mind sharing what it is you don't enjoy as I would be keen to find out and make changes if necessary! It's been a constant system of me adding in features since the Alpha started almost 2 months ago! As for battle speed I do intend  to add in a set of buttons, PAUSE, Fast Forward, Slow Down etc to the player so that could resolve that for you.

Hey Dude!

I appreciate the feedback - do you mind sharing what it is you don't enjoy as I would be keen to find out and make changes if necessary! It's been a constant system of me adding in features since the Alpha started almost 2 months ago! As for battle speed I do intend  to add in a set of buttons, PAUSE, Fast Forward, Slow Down etc to the player so that could resolve that for you.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how to say it, but it's kind of just that I don't really enjoy watching a battle take place. I want to be much more integral than just a guy who presses 'start battle' and watch a bunch of avatars move around; I kinda wanna act like an overlord, similar in vein to Halo Wars.

It's a battle between two armies, and while I'd much prefer that I be able to use my strategies and tactics, it ends up being 'who has the most healed, most OP number of units'. Fast forwards, slow down, etc. doesn't really change much; because I can't influence the simulation, I don't see the point of watching it; it was a cool gimmick for the first few rounds but after that, I pretty much started the battle, the continued to surf the internet on other pages before going back.

The only idea I could suggest would be to increase map size, hide enemy units from 'view' until within range depending on your units (Hey, this means that you could add this new stat-ish thing that determines range of view - so you could have scout based units have more range in seeing stuff compared to some other stuff), and be able to move around individual units, group them together to move them around, and generally control your units in your fight against your opponent. Naturally, this would be hard to program, not to mention it would need both players online at once, but nonetheless it's really the only idea I could contribute so far. 

(The only other thing would be some kind of Rock-Papers-Scissors system that I see inspired from a arcade game I played where you collected 'units' as a TCG - that worked like a charm, because I wasted years of my life playing it.)

I appreciate your feedback, it is probably worth noting that UNSC Warfare is not an RTS, which is what you desire. Originally there were plans for players to dive into an RTS environment for battles,missions etc. However these plans are now no longer going ahead due to funding reasons.

I appreciate that you played, and I am glad that it held your attention for a time. It is more of a new experience to people who are familiar with web based games that usually just have the 'START BATTLE' button and then it tells you what happened. There is no visual experience. There are no real calculations going on. The outcome is usually more heavily influenced by Random. UNSC Warfare aimed to change that and give players, fans of the genre an opportunity to see something happening, in effect, live. Allow players to individually upgrade their units, purchase a bigger ship, add weapons, rank up, buy global modifiers and more. 

I am sorry that it couldn't give you more control as you wanted, and I wish I could of given that as well. Thanks for the feedback dude.

• Like 1

This is a duh but so many developers don't do this. Its refreshing to make miniscule changes every so often, so over a period of time you notice monumental changes. In short, its good to have a game that is willing to succumb to change, as opposed to those that are finished on release with a few minor glitches. Since your game isn't a AAA title, its even more detrimental to replay ability. I like the concept, especially since its something I'll be able to play. Thank you!! edit: I see that you said something about funding? Will this affect anything in talking about?

This is a duh but so many developers don't do this. Its refreshing to make miniscule changes every so often, so over a period of time you notice monumental changes. In short, its good to have a game that is willing to succumb to change, as opposed to those that are finished on release with a few minor glitches. Since your game isn't a AAA title, its even more detrimental to replay ability. I like the concept, especially since its something I'll be able to play. Thank you!!

I appreciate the feedback man. Been a long time in development, and been busy since the alpha started doing changes... More on the way before the beta and release :)

Ah. 

Something that would severely enhance replayability, at least for me, would be the addition of Lore into UNSC Warfare. There's a small amount of it, in the Mission briefings, but personally I would care so much less about it being a simulator if it felt like I was truly organizing an army and progressing it through an entire story. THAT, I'm sure would be a bit easier to program, since in it's simplest form it's just text.

(Hmmm.....)

A small thought that I had following that chain of thought was being able to infleunce more than just the game. Take a sports simulator, for example - you get to buy your players (Units) and use them to battle other teams. Ignoring changing things like positions and tactics, because I'm fairly certain that won't be happening due to the sim running fairly randomly, there are also things like buying/selling players, organizing your rights, making sure your team chemistry, team face, money is good, etc. I think that would really give me bigger incentive to replay the game - I guess you could say it would simply feel more immersive if I managed not just 'buying units', but also bigger things like the politics.

Ah. 

Something that would severely enhance replayability, at least for me, would be the addition of Lore into UNSC Warfare. There's a small amount of it, in the Mission briefings, but personally I would care so much less about it being a simulator if it felt like I was truly organizing an army and progressing it through an entire story. THAT, I'm sure would be a bit easier to program, since in it's simplest form it's just text.

(Hmmm.....)

A small thought that I had following that chain of thought was being able to infleunce more than just the game. Take a sports simulator, for example - you get to buy your players (Units) and use them to battle other teams. Ignoring changing things like positions and tactics, because I'm fairly certain that won't be happening due to the sim running fairly randomly, there are also things like buying/selling players, organizing your rights, making sure your team chemistry, team face, money is good, etc. I think that would really give me bigger incentive to replay the game - I guess you could say it would simply feel more immersive if I managed not just 'buying units', but also bigger things like the politics.

Unfortunately nothing is easy to program on this level aha.

As for the last part, I did/do intend to have a marketplace system, in order for players to trade units - as for the units being worth more, that is happening with the wipe. Units will not only be more expensive but will take up more space so players can only have so many of a unit as well as X amount of units. I will be adding in more global modifiers (see slot store) as well as stances for your army. So I am adding in more for that. You can already customise individual units weapons, and I wanted to add in the ability to change armours and equip items as well.. Lots to be done ahah. But remember, this is only Alpha, and as such these features are more than achievable in the long run.

So the design is done! Finished it today. I will be waiting till Monday Tuesday to release it as I am busy this weekend and I want to be able to support issues. It will launch with the new achievement system, and some crazy optimisations for the battle system and chat! 

As for actual algorithmic changes etc regarding the battle system I will see if I can make a start in the next week :D

• Like 1

I am definitely going to check this out.  I am working on learning game development and would love to watch a game go from Alpha to Beta, etc. and be part of that process as well.

dG

Thanks - development work is on a break at the moment after 2 months of full dev during the alpha period.. It's now just gathering data in preparation for the wipe for beta/release :)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What are the chances - 

@BaconShelf ;) 

Check latest news on the Site

Summary is that new missions are being added, maybe some new units and if the site continues to grow (due to a recent influx of members) then I will start reengineering bits and improving performance