What to do against DDOS?

Mr Biggles

So, I'm getting pretty annoyed now, anyone who knows me knows I am Anti-DDOS to the fullest extent.

So, Playing MW3, no mic in, no trash talk etc, and being hit offline cause I'm owning, is pretty bad, so, what can we do against it guys? I'm not going to give advice or anything cause I have no idea myself, but, share your stories of you hit being offline, and what can we do to counter it? It's annoyed me so much.

What's DDOS?

You should've google'd it if you didn't know, and not just post 2 words. But since you asked.

Distributed Denial-Of-Service attack is is an attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to the intended user(s).

One example of this is one of the 5 basic attack types: Consumption of computational resources, such as bandwidth, disk space, or processor time.

To answer you Biggles, use Firewalls. Close ports that you don't need for example.

Look here for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#Firewalls

I did google it, but I didn't see how that applied here.

Does this mean people are actually sending him some sort of virus to kick him out of the game?

basic attack types: Consumption of computational resources, such as bandwidth, disk space, or processor time.

As an example. Once they get your IP, they love to play with you for a bit, and since Biggles said they have it, *in the shoutbox a while ago tonight*, they can do it.

What's DDOS?

In short.

You send and receive packets on your modem full of data/info. That's pretty basic stuff.

However, people get applications/programs which can use infected computer's (Probably has something on the computer which allows them to use these packets on their own program) and with a click of a button, they send all of these packets to you, and because there are so many packets, your modem can't handle the sudden rush and as a result has to go offline so all the packets go away, hence getting "hit offline." This is free (Pretty weak) or paid for (pretty strong), either way its annoying and can ruin a gamers' experience. IE: Mine.

To answer you Biggles, use Firewalls. Close ports that you don't need for example.

Look here for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#Firewalls

That doesn't work against a strong DoS/DDOS attack, i was thinking about getting a VPN but they are expensive. so, idk what to do.

I never tried with using this one software to see if it works for all of my internet connection (like phone, laptop, tv, Xbox) or just my Desktop PC but it could be something to look into if you are concerned about safety...

Try This > http://www.hidemyass.com/

See if using this helps you my friend. Investigate to see if purchasing the full version is worth it to you. Don't get it if it won't resolve your issue, or if you feel it will not help you in anyway.

It sucks about whats happening to you, and I wish I could help more, but I am not a tech guy so don't take my word for it. I can only give my advice and opinion but its is up to you if you want to follow it... At the end of the day, you can do whatever you wanna do.

I never tried with using this one software to see if it works for all of my internet connection (like phone, laptop, tv, Xbox) or just my Desktop PC but it could be something to look into if you are concerned about safety...

Try This > http://www.hidemyass.com/

See if using this helps you my friend. Investigate to see if purchasing the full version is worth it to you. Don't get it if it won't resolve your issue, or if you feel it will not help you in anyway.

It sucks about whats happening to you, and I wish I could help more, but I am not a tech guy so don't take my word for it. I can only give my advice and opinion but its is up to you if you want to follow it... At the end of the day, you can do whatever you wanna do.

Fairly certain that that's a proxy browser, and the thing it tricks is your own ip. I, err, may have experimented with them when my school blocked 343i.org based on some stuff. This means that it can't be applied to the Xbox without some serious haxing.

This means that it can't be applied to the Xbox without some serious haxing.

"Haxing" No, far from it. There are several ways to do this, the most common being to bridge your connections through your PC (if you have two Ethernet ports) meaning internet comes in one port of your PC and the internet to your Xbox comes out another. If you're unaware on how to bridge connections with your computer, it's a fairly simple google.

And if you don't have two Ethernet ports but you have an open PCI slot then buy an extra port, It's so easy to install I(a caveman) could do it.

The only down side to being bridged is that if your computer is not on you don't get internet to your Xbox.

But if those cheaters manage to take down your proxy then you'll still end up being booted out of the game and lose internet momentarily. But your true IP wouldn't be touch, so you could just take the proxy off and get right back online. Although they are alot less likely to take down a proxy's connection than yours.

It's a sad world we live in, everything is susceptible to a DDOS attack.  :hope:

Edited by Bob

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...