post-73471-0-10305200-1375593312_thumb.jpg

Undergrowth

An original map by Zombie Feed

Download link

Hello, it's me, Zombie Feed. Got another map here and unlike the previous Corrosion, this is entirely original. However it bears striking similarity to another map from another shooter (so close... :facepalm:)

Map Description: The trees were talking to me. I swear there is more to this place that meets the eye. 3-12 players (3-6 for FFA gametypes, 4-8 for RvB gametypes, and 6-12 for multi-team gametypes)

This map is mainly a vertical map with a circular look, yet the oddest part is its symmetrical design and asymmetric spawns. Granted, spawns are more specified on CTF, yet all others are neutral. Anyways this vertical map has four levels. The bottom level consists of the near knee deep water that you can run through and the little gunning outcrop positions on the sides inside the rock walls. The second level includes the rocks that you can run around and the bridge that is the shortest route between the two sides. The third level is composed of the main building. Unlike other areas, this level is the only one that involves close to mid range battles with its interior setting. The fourth level is the sniping platform floating around the central structure of the map. This floor is deemed inacessable to humans in flood gametypes to prevent slowing down the action of games. The map proves its worth with its usefulness towards jetpack users. There are many shortcuts to be found that only jetpack users can use, so be creative with your routes. As for asthetics, all I can say (without blowing my own horn) is that it is pleasing to the eye and each of the levels has a different form of contrast to differentiate the four levels (Level 1=Blue, Level 2=Brown, Level 3 & 4=White).

Backstory: 10 years after the events at Reach, a lone UNSC ship, forever known as the Endevor, wandered too close to Requium. The ship crash landed, and the survivors sent out scouts to find locations for shelter. The scouts came across a Forunner artifact made up of artificial structures held above the water by natural pieces. The survivors moved all salvagable materials and carved out defendable emplacements to defend themselves from the Forunner knights that constantly attacked them. Until the Infinity's events at Requium, the Forunner base went unnoticed by anyone, aside from the survivors themselves. Before the Infinity left Requium, scouts found the place, but there was no one on the grounds and notes were left stating how the survivors investigated deeper into the base only to find wierd goo that, upon contact, would slowly take over the host's body, driving them mad. Some say that they could hear the few trees calling out to them, before they went completly insane and lashed out at others. Some say that this was the birthplace of the Flood on Requium, considering their half plant-like structure. Others say that it was ment to keep out a more localized disease. But one thing is for certain, there is an undergrowth here, and the Forunners wanted to keep it secured.

Compatible Gamemodes:
Slayer (FFA / Team / Multi-team)
King of the Hill (FFA / Team / Multi-team)
Regicide (FFA / Team / Multi-team)
Oddball (FFA / Team / Multi-team)
Capture the Flag (FFA / Team)
Flood

Weapon Spawns:
Light Rifle x1 (resupplies every 1:30)
Rocket Launcher x1 (resupplies every 3:00)
Speed Boost x1 (resupplies every 3:00)
Random Ordinance x2 (DMR / Concussion Rifle / Shotgun / Overshield / Plasma Pistol / Magnum / Boltshot)

The Rocket Launcher spawns at the bridge on the second level. Sadly people will have to risk going into an open location to grab a weapon of great power. The Light Rifle spawns inside the building on the third level, however it is not as useful being located in the close quarters environment. The final initial drop is a speed boost in the water on the first level. Considering the amount of time you will waste getting from level 1 to level 3, you may need the speed boost if you do not have a Jetpack. As for the campers in the stone bunkers on level 1, you will have to get out of there if you want to grab some good firepower as the speed boost will barely help you in your camping situation. The two random drops spawn inside the open crates on the second level. However some of the selection of weapons will not help you in the environment they spawn at.

post-73471-0-37593400-1377554755_thumb.jpg

Balancing:

Level 1: Only has speed boost and two rock emplacements for good cover, however the open area of the water and large area may leave you to rethink any close range ideas. You have three routes to the second level: two of these are average stairs while one is a ladder (grav lift) that sends you to the center of the circular route on the second level. You have okay sightlines to level 2 and bad sightlines to levels 3 & 4

Level 2: This level has a Rocket Launcher and two random ordinances. You risk getting attacked from almost all of the levels however if you're not careful. You have four routes to level 3: two are stairs and the other two are crates that you can jump on top of to get to level 3. You have good sightlines to level 1, okay sightlines to level 3 and bad sightlines to level 4.

Level 3: Mainly consists of indoor areas and contains a Light Rifle among a group of baracades and crates. You get two grav lifts and a sloped platform to get to level 4. You have good sightlines to level 2, okay sightlines to level 4, and bad sightlines to level 1.

Level 4: The floating circle of platforms at the top of the map. You get a great vantage point, but sacrifice any level specific ordinance, plus you may need to be careful should you fall down two or more levels. You have good sightlines to level 3, okay sightlines to level 2 in some areas, and bad sightlines to level 1.

This map currently remains untested. Feel free to give it a download and test it on the gamemodes listed and provide feedback to help me improve any issues or glitches in the system. ;)

Other Pictures:

post-73471-0-53268600-1375593338_thumb.jpg

post-73471-0-50959500-1375593349_thumb.jpg

post-73471-0-17541600-1375593359_thumb.jpg

post-73471-0-68697400-1375593369_thumb.jpg

post-73471-0-55824700-1375593378_thumb.jpg

Updates:

8/26/13

• Moved the Rocket Launcher Spawn to the Bridge
  • Replaced the previous Rocket Launcher Spawn with a Light Rifle, which resupplies every 1:30
  • Removed the Energy Sword from the random ordinance, replaced with a DMR
  • Added horizontal covers to the third level that extend over the 2nd floor
  • Increased Jersey Barrier count on level 2 from 2 to 8 to increase blocked line of sight in the center (barriers may change in a future update)

i have had a quick fly around in forge and its a great map. love the layout as it forces the player to be aware of what is going on above and below them. i also love the 2 small alcoves that look out over the water. it may be a bit easy to camp on the yellow spawn though

if you can, use one way shields to get people up the ladder, it looks better than a grav lift. obviously this wont effect gameplay, its just for visual purposes  

I love themed maps. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

I'll download this map and check it out sometime this week. :)

This looks great mate! 

i'll make sure to download it next chance i get. 

Thanks for the support! I would really appreciate the help getting this map tested! :D

i have had a quick fly around in forge and its a great map. love the layout as it forces the player to be aware of what is going on above and below them. i also love the 2 small alcoves that look out over the water. it may be a bit easy to camp on the yellow spawn though

if you can, use one way shields to get people up the ladder, it looks better than a grav lift. obviously this wont effect gameplay, its just for visual purposes  

The fourth level contains that risk of having campers as much as the rock emplacements. Because of this, I added three routes to prevent the paths from being too managable for the camper, as well as putting the power weapons and weapon drops on levels 1-3, forcing the camper to leave the fourth floor to grab a new weapon or power weapon. However, if it doesn't do anything and campers become a problem on the fourth floor, I'll do something to help lure people away quicker.

As for the grav lift ladder, I'd have to delete blocks to get me more budget as I'm out for this map at the moment, but since you said it's for visual and not gameplay, I understand. Good idea though. :thumbup:

I've discovered a bug in the map for the Grifball gametype. I'm currently working to fix it, however until I post the new version, this map is incompatible with Grifball. This also goes towards the previous Corrosion.

You know that Grifball is for square maps right? This map isn't square. I don't see how Grifball would work well on it.

You know that Grifball is for square maps right? This map isn't square. I don't see how Grifball would work well on it.

I am aware that this is more of a circular map and not square like all of the other Grifball maps, I just thought of making Grifball compatible for the heck of it, considering that it's basically Oddball with a different objective. If you think that it would never work well with this map, I could remove Grifball as a "compatible gametype in consideration" and be rid of updating the map towards being compatible, considering that this map has had next to no playtesting for almost all gametypes, including Grifball.

• 3 weeks later...

Spawning the Rocket at such an elevation is probably not a good idea, not sure how I feel about the Sniper Rifle but I really like the look of the map.

Scratch that, the Rocket spawn is fine, but I still think it would be better if it were on the bridge rather than the Sniper. I'm really not sure that a Sniper Rifle is a good choice for such a small map at all.

It definitely looks like the U path in the rocks needs more LOS blockers, primarily along the edge. It may also be an interesting dynamic to put some horizontally placed covers extending from the U platform above the rocks.

• Like 1

Spawning the Rocket at such an elevation is probably not a good idea, not sure how I feel about the Sniper Rifle but I really like the look of the map.

Scratch that, the Rocket spawn is fine, but I still think it would be better if it were on the bridge rather than the Sniper. I'm really not sure that a Sniper Rifle is a good choice for such a small map at all.

It definitely looks like the U path in the rocks needs more LOS blockers, primarily along the edge. It may also be an interesting dynamic to put some horizontally placed covers extending from the U platform above the rocks.

Thank you for the feedback! :thumbup:

The Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle were used as base power weapons at the time because I didn't know which would work and which wouldn't, so I'm glad that you pointed out their placements and usage. I do agree that the rockets would do better on the bridge, for such a power weapon would risk people going out in the open and having sight lines too long and blocked to allow easy rocket kills as opposed to the close quarters nature of its current placement. As for the Sniper Rifle, I'm unsure what to replace it with. I'll just replace it with a Light Rifle and see how that works, unless there are better options. On the topic of weapons, I'm thinking of removing the Energy Sword as a random ordinance, considering how big a game changer it can become when I analyzed some gameplay.

As for the U path, I could place some extra cover as I too find it to be a tad bit too open, it almost scares people off from remaining there if it wasn't for the weapon spawns. Maybe some extra barriers can help.

Finally for the U platform, it would seem pretty neat to give players the option to go onto a platform extending over the rock path. It'd add a dynamic where people can get a better line of sight on the guys on the rocks, at the cost of being out in the open. I may need to get rid of a few asthetic pieces to do this, but if it helps improve gameplay, I'll go for it!

Finally, thanks for the feedback (again), as this map had gone for awhile without any constructive ideas. I'll use that that you have said and reupload the map as soon as possible.

This map has just gotten updated. The main topic has the change list and a fixed link.

8/26/13

• Moved the Rocket Launcher Spawn to the Bridge
  • Replaced the previous Rocket Launcher Spawn with a Light Rifle, which resupplies every 1:30
  • Removed the Energy Sword from the random ordinance, replaced with a DMR
  • Added horizontal covers to the third level that extend over the 2nd floor
  • Increased Jersey Barrier count on level 2 from 2 to 8 to increase blocked line of sight in the center (barriers may change in a future update)

Pictures will be updated soon to prevent misleading viewers to its current look.