Official Question and Answer Thread for Meet Your Maker - Dominion

Absolute Dog

This is the "Official" Q and A thread for the "Meet Your Maker" - Dominion Forge Contest.

Questions will be answered as soon as possible and should be asked in a clear and easy to understand manner. Please ensure you have read the entire submission thread prior to asking any question.

• Like 4

For those new to Forging for Dominion, our resident THFE Dominion expert and recent MOM AbleSir Thomas posted some outstanding advice in this thread for ensuring your submission is of the best quality possible:

Recommendations

• At least 1 sentry turret per base
  • Base/ turret monitors for each base
  • Spawning based on objective control ex:base res zones
  • Base shields
  • Fortifying barricades/antennas
  • Each base has at least 1 vehicle pad
  • All objective drops are the same set
  • Drops match theme of map
For basic info on dominion game-play, with forge examples watch

For info on setting up the dominion gametype on your map watch
To avoid and repair the lighting glitch watch

Best of luck to all of our entrants!

• Like 4

Question Regarding Map Style

Hi. I'm working on a New Mombasa style Night Time Map and I was wondering if there's a problem with the map being really dark. Though you can see around without Promethean Vision it can be difficult. The map is set on Impact with the Juicy and Color Blind filters. I ask that you load a map where the sun is blocked out and apply these effects. Please let me know if this is to dark. If so would it be acceptable to leave it as it but make a notice in the map description that players with dark displays should turn the in-game brightness up to 4 or 5 before playing.

Off Topic

I am the founder and owner of a newly begun Game Development Studio. Would it be inappropriate to ask that my map (if it wins) be properly credited to me and my studio. I merely ask this as a favor, not a condition.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards Ashlie Williams
Trigger Game Studios

Copyright © Trigger Game Studios, All Rights Reserved

[email protected]

Question Regarding Map Style

Hi. I'm working on a New Mombasa style Night Time Map and I was wondering if there's a problem with the map being really dark. Though you can see around without Promethean Vision it can be difficult. The map is set on Impact with the Juicy and Color Blind filters. I ask that you load a map where the sun is blocked out and apply these effects. Please let me know if this is to dark. If so would it be acceptable to leave it as it but make a notice in the map description that players with dark displays should turn the in-game brightness up to 4 or 5 before playing.

Off Topic

I am the founder and owner of a newly begun Game Development Studio. Would it be inappropriate to ask that my map (if it wins) be properly credited to me and my studio. I merely ask this as a favor, not a condition.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards Ashlie Williams

Trigger Game Studios

Copyright © Trigger Game Studios, All Rights Reserved

[email protected]

Maps must be playable and enjoyable for the mass of the community. We set no rules on filters. Use them at your own desire. The off topic question will be considered, but do not expect that to happen.

• Like 1

Will MYM map submissions be allowed in the THFE and Halo 4 Forge areas before the contest ends? If so, will this affect map eligibility in the contest?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

We encourage all forgers to submit maps to our communities forge forums, but as far as feed back from THFE, that will be up to AbleSir Thomas. It is his job to review all submitted Dominion maps, but he may take a break during the contest. I will encourage him to respond to this question as well.

• Like 1

Will MYM map submissions be allowed in the THFE and Halo 4 Forge areas before the contest ends? If so, will this affect map eligibility in the contest?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I will be providing feedback to any and all dominion maps posted in the forge forums. Tuesday night tests will be available to all forgers who need additional map testing. I recommend all forgers do extensive play testing before submitting to the contest. :)

• Like 2

So by four drops per base, you mean one of each of those? Or could I ,for example, have four assault weapon drops if I liked? And what about Rockets, snipers etc?

Lastly, do I have to base it on mm gametype or can I create my own with loadouts suited to the game? 

Edit: 

My map is an unusual 'space battle' featuring Banshee combat, jetpacks and many Rocket turrets around three capital ships. Asteroids are there to hide ordnance and it features lots of Sniper, Laser and Rocket action.

Should I be making a more conventional map or is this a good idea?

So by four drops per base, you mean one of each of those? Or could I ,for example, have four assault weapon drops if I liked? And what about Rockets, snipers etc?

Lastly, do I have to base it on mm gametype or can I create my own with loadouts suited to the game? 

Edit: 

My map is an unusual 'space battle' featuring Banshee combat, jetpacks and many Rocket turrets around three capital ships. Asteroids are there to hide ordnance and it features lots of Sniper, Laser and Rocket action.

Should I be making a more conventional map or is this a good idea?

This is quoted form the submission thread *Base Resupply Sets

Four Drops per base:

2 Grenade Drops

Plasma Grenades 2ea.
Frag Grenades 2ea.
Pulse Grenades 2ea.

Assault Weapon Drop

Assault Rifle
Supressor
Storm Rifle
Magnum
Plasma Pistol (optional)

Precision Weapon Drop

Light Rifle
Carbine
Battle Rifle
DMR
Spartan Laser
Spartan Laser (optional)

This is per base as set to the matchmaking standard. This means 2 grenade drops, 1 assault weapon drop, and one precision drop per base as outlined above. 

As for your second question, custom game-types are not permitted.

All maps will be judged by the criteria outlined in the submission thread. "Space Battle" maps tend to have many reoccurring issues.

Including but not limited to: player disorientation, lack of meaningful movement options, inability to strafe, forcing players to use select Armour abilities, lack of safe spawning areas, long and/or cluttered sight-lines, framerate issues, and awkward choke points inside ships.

I recommend a more conservative design, closer to the MM dominion maps, but I am only one of many judges. I also have not played the map. If you would like some feedback or to further discuss the submission rules, we can talk over live.

• Like 1

This is quoted form the submission thread *Base Resupply Sets

Four Drops per base:

2 Grenade Drops

Plasma Grenades 2ea.
Frag Grenades 2ea.
Pulse Grenades 2ea.

Assault Weapon Drop

Assault Rifle
Supressor
Storm Rifle
Magnum
Plasma Pistol (optional)

Precision Weapon Drop

Light Rifle
Carbine
Battle Rifle
DMR
Spartan Laser
Spartan Laser (optional)

This is per base as set to the matchmaking standard. This means 2 grenade drops, 1 assault weapon drop, and one precision drop per base as outlined above. 

As for your second question, custom game-types are not permitted.

All maps will be judged by the criteria outlined in the submission thread. "Space Battle" maps tend to have many reoccurring issues.

Including but not limited to: player disorientation, lack of meaningful movement options, inability to strafe, forcing players to use select Armour abilities, lack of safe spawning areas, long and/or cluttered sight-lines, framerate issues, and awkward choke points inside ships.

I recommend a more conservative design, closer to the MM dominion maps, but I am only one of many judges. I also have not played the map. If you would like some feedback or to further discuss the submission rules, we can talk over live.

Thats fine. My idea wouldn't be as possible without a custom gametype, I didn't want to put days of work in and it isn't allowed. I have some other ideas though, so i'll work on them. Thanks for replying!

Another question; What about Rockets, Shottys, Snipers etc... That MM has? Whatis the allowance on power weapons or is that none at all?

(Including initial and random drops throughout map)

Can we modify the base dominion gametype like by adding more to the score limit. I want to have 5 bases and that might cause the score limit to be reached quit fast.

Three bases only are required for this contest.

Also custom gametypes are not accepted. We will be judging maps based on the current MM gametype.

Another question; What about Rockets, Shottys, Snipers etc... That MM has? Whatis the allowance on power weapons or is that none at all?

(Including initial and random drops throughout map)

Random drops do not show up during Dominion. It's recommended that you use semi neutral re-spawning initials for your heavier weapons. There is no exact "allowance" on power weapons. I recommend you reference the latest versions of longbow, vortex, meltdown, and exile in MM. I plan on making a tutorial on dominion weapon sets soon. If you need more help, feel free to msg me on Live.

Random drops do not show up during Dominion. It's recommended that you use semi neutral re-spawning initials for your heavier weapons. There is no exact "allowance" on power weapons. I recommend you reference the latest versions of longbow, vortex, meltdown, and exile in MM. I plan on making a tutorial on dominion weapon sets soon. If you need more help, feel free to msg me on Live.

Oh, nice. I have finished a map and after a playtest, one thing said was lack of Sniping tools, Launching tools etc. Thanks for clearing this up:D

Are we allowed to use modded maps that give us more pieces like the rock mod on forge island?

No modded content is allowed, period.

If me and a team of forgers won wouuld everyone in my team receive the prizes?

No, you would not. The prizes are set, as stated, as single items. Anytime more than one forger is used the 'forge group' themselves must decide on how to divide the physical prizes. You Tube features would still be done in a manner similar to previous features with the addition of noting the individual names of the 'forge group'. The interview with the judging team would be held as a 'group' function.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...