Corrosion

Zombie Feed

post-73471-0-74520400-1374614261_thumb.jpg
Corrosion
A recreation of the actual map from Call of Duty: World at War

Description:
One of my first and so far greatest of my maps, even if this is merely a recreation of an existing map from a different shooter series. Anyways, I love Halo, its endless amounts of customization options, from your Spartan to a new map entirely, allow for the game to always have new and amazing content to play, always challenging you to search the file share or the 343i forums to find new maps or mini-games to keep you and your lobby happy. Another game I like is Call of Duty, to an extent, World at War being my favorite. This game may be different from Halo entirely, yet with the customization options of Forge and Custom Games, people could literally make Halo the next Call of Duty. Anyways, World at War was fun, but considering that the game now is mainly filled with hackers and modders that mostly ruin the game experience, plus the only World at War maps on the file share are the zombies maps, I decided to take a look into some of the maps and came across Corrosion on the 2nd map pack, a Russia versus Germany map that takes place at a war torn Russian train yard. This map is the smallest map in the game to allow Ground War (the equivalent of Big Team Battle in Halo), making it a good map for large lobbies. It's mainly a vertical map alternating between the first and second floors of the main building, allowing for many multi-level firefights. With many ways up to the second floor, from stairs to train cars to broken pipes, there are an abundance of ways to get from ground to second floor. After a bit of play testing, I've fixed any movement problems found with the floor, so you are always guaranteed to run across the map without running into a single bump.

Compatible Game Modes:
Slayer (FFA / Team)
Capture the Flag
Dominion
King of the Hill (FFA / Team)
Grifball (Yes, Grifball)
Flood
Oddball (FFA / Team)
Regicide (FFA / Team)

As you can tell from the first picture and description you saw, this map has been made compatible with every game type, excluding extraction. I added an abundance of neutral spawns all across the map to leave spawn killing almost absent, yet I also added spawn zones for a few of the team based game modes, like Capture the Flag and Grifball (yes, I made it compatible with Grifball), and base spawn points for Dominion. On the topic for Dominion, there are three bases, but the only benefits for two of them is a single weapon resupply drop at Alpha and Charlie, while Bravo controls the main building, and as such, controls the initial and random ordinance drops in the building, which leaves any objective ordinance a bit too much. Nearly all of the game types have not been tested on the map, aside from Slayer, which the map is suppose to be played on normally. If you experience any issues with game types other than Slayer, please contact me via the comments and address it. I will try to read your comment as soon as possible and fix the problem if it is present. 

Weapons:
Shotgun x1
Railgun x1
Random Ordinance x3:         x2 (Grenade/Plasma/Pulse), x1 (Speed Boost/Damage Boost/Overshield)
Objective Ordinance x2 (Dominion only)

The Shotgun, Railgun, and one of the random ordinances are located in the center building, the shotgun is located on the center floor walkway, while the other drops are below it on the ground floor. The two random grenade ordinances are found on the outskirts of the map.

Bugs:
The only bugs is whether or not the objective gamemodes are balanced on this map.

Overall:
This is a great vertical map that can have migrating firefights on the outside of the map, yet mainly focuses on the main building in the center. The dominant weapons in the game would possibly be the mid to long range weapons on the outskirts while the short to mid range weapons dominate the interior building. If you like recreation, asymmetrical, and or maps that are compatible with other game types, give this map a download and enjoy the map. I will post links to my game types I made for this map on Slayer soon, built with near balanced classes based on the Call of Duty game as well as physics from the game to give you a near complete nostalgic COD experience.
post-73471-0-75862200-1374614318_thumb.jpg

Other Pictures:
post-73471-0-56088800-1375032327.jpg
post-73471-0-34521100-1375032301.jpg
post-73471-0-42196200-1375032313.jpg
post-73471-0-79528800-1375032320.jpg
post-73471-0-04276500-1375032284.jpg
post-73471-0-32158100-1375032333.jpg

Updates:

7/27/13:

• Fixed the blocks with broken lighting.
  • Removed a few asthetic peices with high shadow counts to preserve lighting.
  • Made ramp inside the center building shorter and slightly steeper.
  • Removed wall next to the ramp inside the center building to allow a more open feel to the interior building.
  • Replaced a few rocks to fix previous shading problems.
  • Removed a few rocks for replacements with other rocks and or building blocks.
  • Changed a few walls from double walls to bridge, larges.
  • Made the center catwalk 1.5 units wide instead of the previous 1.0 units.
  • Fixed block texture issues.
  • Replaced a few floors from bridge pieces to building blocks.

8/12/13:

• Fixed a few misplaced blocks.
  • Added lights inside the center building to give it better lighting.
  • Added a few extra asthetic pieces.

Here's links to my custom game modes designed for this map. You are not required to play on this map with these game modes, but they are designed to give the effects of the physics and classes from Call of Duty: World at War.

For those who need to know about what the game modes do to your character, I'll explain. This game mode:

• Makes your character move at 75% speed (pre 110% speed update)
  • Makes jump height 90%
  • Makes gravity 150%
  • Makes damage resistance 110%
  • Removes shields
  • Allows only tanks (Ground War only)
  • Denies ordinance of any sort
  • Allows you to only see friendly movement on your radar, no radar for the FFA version
  • Replaces personal loadouts with custom loadouts whose primary weapons include a DMR, Assault Rifle, SAW, Shotgun, and Sniper Rifle, with two secondary weapons: the Magnum and Rocket Launcher (Shotgun class only).

Download Links

Free For All Version                                        (150 points to win, 5 points per kill)

Team Deathmatch Version                             (750 points to win, 10 points per kill / 2 for assist)

Ground War Version (Big Team Battle)          (1000 points to win, 10 points per kill / 2 for assist)

Give these game modes a shot on Corrosion!

No replies to a map that looks like it took effort to make? Well we can't have that can we?

I'll download and give this map a look. Expect feedback from me soon.

I'm surprised too. Try out the custom game modes I added as well if you feel like it. I really appreciate the help! :thumbup:

Why would you give a shotty rockets or a SAW as a loadout? Maybe they work but it really doesnt sound like anyo nn e will pick anything different if they have a primary shotty and secondary rockets. Maybe even out the classes a bit.

Judging from the comment, it seems you are judging the loadouts upon a visual impression and not on actual gameplay evidence. However, I would possibly do it too, considering my lack of description, so I will give you a bit more detail on the classes.

Infinity 1

Primary: DMR

Secondary: Magnum

Grenade: x2 Grenades

Tactical Package: Mobility

Support Upgrade: None

Due to the lack of shields, not even the 110% damage resistance can protect you from a 1 hit kill headshot, making this loadout basically the one containing the dominant weapon, so long as you can keep the headshots flowing however. The DMR's slow fire rate is its only downside against fully automatic weapons.

Infinity 2

Primary: Assault Rifle

Grenade: x1 Grenades

Support Upgrade: Ammo

With the ammo upgrade, you have more ammo in your Assault Rifle and Magnum than normal. While the Magnum is universal among classes, if you encounter a lack of players using the Infinity 2 class, you have a little more ammo to keep the Assault Rifle shooting. However, you sacrifice one grenade for this benefit.

Infinity 3

Primary: SAW

Grenade: x3 Pulse

Tactical Package: Grenadier

Support Upgrade: None

Up close, you can throw off the aim of other more precision based class. However if your in the open, a person with a Sniper or DMR can easily gun you down with relative ease, while up close the people with accurate quick shooting with DMRs or Shotguns can kill you in one or two shots easily. As for grenades, you get three Pulse grenades, the additional one is a benefit yes, but the pulse grenades aren't going to help you against that enemy around the corner, is it? As for the extra capacity for other grenades, how long will you be scavenging around the map for three plasmas or regular grenades?

Infinity 4

Primary: Shotgun

Secondary: Rocket Launcher

Grenade: x1 Plasma

Support Upgrade: Explosives

Your the king of close quarters fights, the shotgun says that very clearly, and without shields it increases your 1 hit kill potential. The rocket launcher however is meant to take out tanks (even if they are only allowed in ground war), but since you are without shields, how often are you going to kill yourself if you try the around-the-corner technique against a fellow player? In the open, not even the rockets are going to protect you against long range classes as they are smaller targets and from afar can easily avoid them, while using a rocket launcher in close quarters environments is more of a risk than a reward. Even if you like to spam your rockets, you only have four total to use, so unless you get to your body's dropped weapon quickly, or if there are other players using said loadout, you aren't going to use the rockets for long. You get one plasma grenade, however beware of the guys who will "bear hug" you when you stick them, that's what the shotgun tries to help reduce. As for explosives, it helps increase grenade damage dealt to others and reduces grenade damage towards you, allowing the plasma and any other grenades you have on hand to be even deadlier.

(Granted, I will give you some sympathy about this class, and that is the fact that there will always be that one guy rocketing it out, however this person will barely use the shotgun and it results in them suiciding as much as killing others. As well as getting killed easily in the open.)

Infinity 5

Primary Weapon: Sniper Rifle

Secondary Weapon: Magnum

Grenade: x2 Grenades

Tactical Package: Resupply

Support Upgrade: Awareness

The Sniper Rifle is the only gun capable of dealing one hit kills from any range without having to make headshots (aside from the Rocket Launcher of course). Awareness, although useless in the free for all version, keeps the radar visible while scoping with any weapon, so if a teammate dies on your radar, you could prepare yourself before an enemy shows up at your location, whether it be fight or flight. Since you only have a Sniper as a starter, which can easily be countered by any other class depending on the situation, you get two normal grenades as well as resupply to help protect you from surprise around-the-corner attacks.

Maybe my descriptions of the classes helped you gain a better understanding at their setups and purposes, however due to my lack of explanation of the classes at the start, I understand your worry of a loadout overpowering them all. But hey, from my first gameplay, I worried that the shotgun class would overpower the others, just like you, however I found not one class to be overpowered after a bit of gameplay as the class and skill of the player determined who would win, instead of who had the strongest loadout upon spawning.

Hoped that helped.  ;)

Are these custom classes required for the map to function properly?

The classes make no difference in how the map plays, as I've added a load of kill and soft kill boundaries for people with normal traits and or jetpacks. However you can use it if you want to (I have yet to test the team deathmatch and ground war game types anyway). I only added the game types to stimulate the effects on your player in World at War.

Here are the issues I noticed right out the bat.

Segmentation: The segmentation in the center structure is too much. There are too many left and right turns to get to an area.

Low roof: In one of the ramps leading up to top mid, the roof is too low and players end up hitting their head when they jump.

Thin paths: Any path that is 1 unit wide is usually too thin to use as a bridge.

Bad boundary: One of the kill boundaries at blue spawn is overextending itself slightly to one area. If anyone walks to that are, he just gets an unfair and unexpected death.

Oversteep: The 2x1 blocks that you used as inclines are way too steep. I suggest keeping inclines at a 30 degree angle. You'll know that an incline is inclined properly if players can jump while walking up them.

Broken lighting: The dynamic lighting is broken in this map. That means that you used too many pieces.

Despite these issues I mentioned, I must say that I really like the map's aesthetics. It's a themed map and I love dem themed maps. You were able to keep the map's theme consistent all throughout.

Lastly, keep in mind that I only flew around the map in Forge and analyzed it from there. I haven't really played on this map so don't take all my feedback to heart. I''m sure about some of them though.
  • Like 2

Here are the issues I noticed right out the bat.

Segmentation: The segmentation in the center structure is too much. There are too many left and right turns to get to an area.

Low roof: In one of the ramps leading up to top mid, the roof is too low and players end up hitting their head when they jump.

Thin paths: Any path that is 1 unit wide is usually too thin to use as a bridge.

Bad boundary: One of the kill boundaries at blue spawn is overextending itself slightly to one area. If anyone walks to that are, he just gets an unfair and unexpected death.

Oversteep: The 2x1 blocks that you used as inclines are way too steep. I suggest keeping inclines at a 30 degree angle. You'll know that an incline is inclined properly if players can jump while walking up them.

Broken lighting: The dynamic lighting is broken in this map. That means that you used too many pieces.

Despite these issues I mentioned, I must say that I really like the map's aesthetics. It's a themed map and I love dem themed maps. You were able to keep the map's theme consistent all throughout.

Lastly, keep in mind that I only flew around the map in Forge and analyzed it from there. I haven't really played on this map so don't take all my feedback to heart. I''m sure about some of them though.

For the segmentation, I'm afraid that I cannot fix that, as it would go against the original map's design.

The low roof and thin catwalk I will gladly look into fixing. How does a shorter ramp and a 1.5 unit catwalk sound, but I'll see about a 2 unit if I can.

The 1x2s I'll look into, but I don't know if they can be fixed at this point, as I've wasted a ton of budget and blocks making this map as it is.

An extended kill barrier? These are always unacceptable in a map, especially a competitive one, so I'll get into fixing this right away.

The broken lighting I noticed right off the bat as well. I'll see what I can do, but I'm unsure if it's unfixable, for some parts of Erosion have wierd lighting systems, and the rocks (as an example) are signs of this. I do not know if I used too many blocks, but I'll try to fix it if I can.

I understand if you only viewed this in forge, my only gameplay to test this map on was on my custom FFA game type that I posted a link to above with 5 people max lobby. The steep inclines, low roof, and maybe the segmentation went unnoticed while playing the game, so your opinion is as good as mine.

Btw, thanks for taking a look at this map and reviewing it, I'll see what can be done towards the maps problems!

• Like 1

Here we go, the map was remade, reuploaded, the old one deleted from the fileshare and the link fixed for the new one. I'll replace the pictures soon to prevent misleading people to its current look, and I copy pasted the update I added to the original post for those who missed it! Enjoy!

Updates:

7/27/13:

• Fixed the blocks with broken lighting.
  • Removed a few asthetic peices with high shadow counts to preserve lighting.
  • Made ramp inside the center building shorter and slightly steeper.
  • Removed wall next to the ramp inside the center building to allow a more open feel to the interior building.
  • Replaced a few rocks to fix previous shading problems.
  • Removed a few rocks for replacements with other rocks and or building blocks.
  • Changed a few walls from double walls to bridge, larges.
  • Made the center catwalk 1.5 units wide instead of the previous 1.0 units.
  • Fixed block texture issues.
  • Replaced a few floors from bridge pieces to building blocks.

Thank you Zandril for your patronage in downloading and viewing the map. I took most of your opinions into consideration and this is the (so far) final product! :D

• Like 1

Ok, after suffering from internet being on the frits, I'm back and might as well recomment to others. Hopefully, I don't pass of as reanimating the dead in terms of this topic.

Although it looks awesome, (like really awesome) I think I would recommend against taking designed from other games? This is because halo has a very unique style of gameplay so maps from other games may not fit. But it seems like you managed to pull it off.

I agree with you Rayner. For example, you can't expect a 007 multiplayer map to work out in Halo 4, as the 007 series has a plethera of gadgets and physics that not even Halo can copy, as well as the recent Goldeneye game not having a jump mechanic and only a vaulting mechanic (only have the Wii verson, but still amazing), meaning some inaccessable areas from one game may become accessable in Halo. Don't worry though as I don't plan on making recreations of maps from other games for a living on the forums. I'm only interested in classic maps, Call of Duty Black Ops 1 & 2 maps are recreated way to often (looking at you Nuketown), and some games (including World at War) have maps way to big to recreate on Forge without bugging the lighting system (luckly I dodged the bullet at the last second for this map) or being incomplete while you are left without any blocks and/or money to use.

I will download this updated version once I can. You can expect my feedback soon.

Zandril, you have helped so many people on the forums, not just me. If I were to thank you any more in my comments, I'd probably pass off as annoying to others. But I can spare a smiley: :respect:

• Like 1

Zandril, you have helped so many people on the forums, not just me. If I were to thank you any more in my comments, I'd probably pass off as annoying to others. But I can spare a smiley: :respect:

Haha. I'll give your map a look soon. I've just been busy with college lately. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at your map dude, its really well made I vaguely remember playing this map on COD:WaW. The only little thing I can say that need fixed is there is a little corner spawn point where u run forward and u fall between the floor and the ramps. It is on the other side of the wall where u have the pipe ramp.

• Like 1

I had a look at your map dude, its really well made I vaguely remember playing this map on COD:WaW. The only little thing I can say that need fixed is there is a little corner spawn point where u run forward and u fall between the floor and the ramps. It is on the other side of the wall where u have the pipe ramp.

Done :)

Here's a list of all of the changes. The main topic's link has been changed and the change list updated.

8/12/13:

• Fixed a few misplaced blocks.
  • Added lights inside the center building to give it better lighting.
  • Added a few extra asthetic pieces.