Cortana's abilities (Spoilers)

dragonslayer011

Quick question, how is Cortana able to physically hold the Didact at the very end? Cortana is simply a hologram. Just light particles put together to form her shape. She has no physical body. If Chief were to ever try to touch her, his hand would just pass through her, because she is just light. So, how come, all of a sudden, she has a physical form with mass and is able to hold onto the Didact? 

Well... from my knowlege of cortana and forerunners, forerunners are able to make tangible data, (hence the prometheans) and it makes sense that a piece of data (cortana) could interact with a forerunner on a physical level... but over all a good question.

• Like 1

Well, the Forerunners have the ability to generate Hardlight Shields which have a physical form instead of just being composed of holographic light like regular human technology, so perhaps it's the same with Cortana's 'bodies'. They do emerge from the light bridge, after all, and that's perfectly solid.

• Like 2

Well, the Forerunners have the ability to generate Hardlight Shields which have a physical form instead of just being composed of holographic light like regular human technology, so perhaps it's the same with Cortana's 'bodies'. They do emerge from the light bridge, after all, and that's perfectly solid.

Thank you for posting this i put it in shoutbox and didn't want to have to edit another post or create a new one. :)

During that cutscene/part of the game, Cortana projected herself with the hardlight. This in turn meant that she could control the entire hardlight bridge and could hold it.

Unfortunately the one issue I have with this is how, even though she had control of hardlight, how the #### did Chief survive detonating a nuke by punching it.

• Like 1

This was also my answer.

To me, i guess the most reasonable explanation was that Cortana was able to control the light bridge. It's still a little confusing though.

But how is it even possible? Control hardlight all you want he just punched a nuke. His hand is literally in contact with the center of the bomb.

Frickin 343.

But how is it even possible? Control hardlight all you want he just punched a nuke. His hand is literally in contact with the center of the bomb.

Frickin 343.

Chief has survived much... but i doubt even he could survive it... something else had to have happened. :/ but what it was... is a mystery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because Halo 4's ending was rushed. There are tons of things that didn't make any sense and caused flaws in the story. For example, Chief was… in a hard light bubble, I guess? And he detonated a nuclear bomb in his hands, and survived because of that. And the Didact has the Force. There are tons of things that make no sense in Halo 4, best to just ignore them.