ANGUISHED

gearedmah22

ANGUISHED - this UNSC research facility/satellite relay has been hotly contested since it's discovery. It's location, capabilities, and power make it a highly desired commodity.

Anguished is a rather large map based around the smallest anvil in Forge Island. It is meant to be played on with between 8 and 16 players. It is set up for most gametypes, including Flood, KOTH, CTF, Oddball, and all Slayer Variants.

1063681_551460414918150_1053256695_o.jpg978046_551456224918569_1903975945_o.jpg1009061_551456221585236_1832266468_o.jpg1039742_551456228251902_1333446606_o.jpg616214_551456318251893_340840465_o.jpg

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/gearedmah22/halo4/fileshare#

While I'm not new to Forging, I am new to submitting...so any and all feedback is welcomed!

This map (as with ALL of my maps) has not been properly play tested (I just don't know a lot of people)....so, I'd be more than willing to do that if some of you were up to it!? 

Is the center accessible? I've seen many maps similar to this where players can only move around in a circular manner. It didn't play so well because this limits the movement options that players can have and they end up just running long distances to get to a certain point in the map.

This makes for some boring gameplay IMO.

I suggest moving the map to a place where there would be center movement so that players will have enough options and paths to take.

* What are the weapons,powerups, and vehicles in the map? Could you provide an overview pic with the weapons marked. You can use THIS to help make the pic

@Arson - Thanks! I'll message you....I have several I'd love to play test, if you're available!

@Zandril - The center isn't playable...I could easily make it playable....you can get there from a few spots, but a couple of grav lifts and it's done. That's one of the reasons I need people to play test with me! :)

I'll put an overview pic up as soon as possible.

@Arson - Thanks! I'll message you....I have several I'd love to play test, if you're available!

@Zandril - The center isn't playable...I could easily make it playable....you can get there from a few spots, but a couple of grav lifts and it's done. That's one of the reasons I need people to play test with me! :)

I'll put an overview pic up as soon as possible.

Try to make it where people can get to the top with more hard routes than just grav lifts. But if you're planning to make the island the center, I suggest you don't.

I just don't see that playing well at all. I think you really need to relocate this map dude. Its current location won't make for that good gameplay a competitive map needs.

And if you still need testers, http://halocustoms.com/customs/upcoming

Just join the testing lobbies you want there.

I took a look through in forge, here are my thoughts:

1. The map has a lot of massive choke-points on it, where players are forced to move through the only door leading through to the next part of the circle or they have to go all the way back around. A few guys could hold an entire team at one of these doors and they prevent movement around the map. As Zandril stated above, this tends to happen because there is no way to move through the middle of the map, only around it's outer edge. Putting routes up to the top of the island will not help this, as the top area is so high up and powerful that it will overpower the lower areas and/ or become disconnected with the rest of the map. If the map were moved higher and the middle incorporated as a level slightly below the outer ring, this might work, though the middle could not be left open. As it stands though you should never have only one route through an area. 3 is about the magic number of ways to get through an area, with one being quick and open and others being longer but covered. Even if these areas were fixed however the map would not flow well at all without a middle area. 

2. A large part of your budget was eaten up by a huge structure on the top of the island, one that could only be easily seen by the banshee and that was not used for any game space. This is a big waste of budget for something that most players will never see (players do not usually look up in a match as that is not where the enemy is for the most part.) This budget could likely be used better elsewhere. Not all aesthetics like this are bad, the small island you made is an example of one that works well, as it is in plain sight from the map and uses very few parts. 

3. The layout and construction of the map had a lot of issues. Red base was actually much closer to the neutral Banshee than Blue team, an the two teams flags were not right across from each other but instead at a strange angle. Blue base was kind of a mess, with ramps and buildings leading all over and up to towers that really couldn't see anything. This map, like Paradigm, suffers from some severe clutter issues, where walls do not look clean and everything kind of runs together into a jumbled mess. One of the main tricks in making a map look clean and easy to navigate is to use only certain pieces, limiting yourself from using one of every part in your map. For example, some maps focus on using 4 x 4 or 3 x 3 blocks, or bridges. You generally want to select a few parts to make most of your maps basic structure out of and keep them fairly simple. Buildings should be used very sparingly, as they all are very complex and rarely fit well in maps. They can be used, but carefully and sparingly so. 

Thanks for all of the feedback...I'll definitely keep it in mind for future builds.

I'd really like to give the map a proper test before completely condemning it...I never have anyone to help me test my maps, so...I never know what to fix/adjust/abandon...but all the feedback is definitely understandable and makes sense.

When Zandril first mentioned it, I got the idea for some teleporters to shorten the trips and also provide routes new routes from A to B...not sure if it will help, but I guess that's what playtesting is for, right?

Anyways...need to get to fixing things and revamping stuff...thanks for all the honest feedback!

When Zandril first mentioned it, I got the idea for some teleporters to shorten the trips and also provide routes new routes from A to B

If you're planning to make the only ways to get from A to B are through teleporters, I suggest adding more routes. Because players can just sit on the receiver nodes and block the teleporters.

Not if I soft killzone the teles...right? Trust me...I've built maps before :) And there's always a way to squash that ****e player from doing that ****e thing.

Man...I'd love if you guys would play with me when I get this done...you...help me playtest? I haven't seen any increases in the actual downloads of the maps, so either people are loading the map off of you guys or there's still no actual play testing going on...but, yeah...I added a few things to this and Paradigm and I'd love to get them actually playtested....figure out if I need to just abandon them or if I'm on to something, ya know?? There's always the exception to the rule...so...is mine the exception? or a law-abiding citizen??!!!

My gamertag is gearedmah22 if you guys are interested...no hard feelings if you're not...later! And thanks again!

Not if I soft killzone the teles...right? Trust me...I've built maps before :) And there's always a way to squash that ****e player from doing that ****e thing.

Man...I'd love if you guys would play with me when I get this done...you...help me playtest? I haven't seen any increases in the actual downloads of the maps, so either people are loading the map off of you guys or there's still no actual play testing going on...but, yeah...I added a few things to this and Paradigm and I'd love to get them actually playtested....figure out if I need to just abandon them or if I'm on to something, ya know?? There's always the exception to the rule...so...is mine the exception? or a law-abiding citizen??!!!

My gamertag is gearedmah22 if you guys are interested...no hard feelings if you're not...later! And thanks again!

I think the reason why your map has not increased in downloads is because people look at the screenshots and then click off of your map post if they don't like what they see. That's how it works.

A lot of people wouldn't even read your map description and rush straight to the pictures. And I'm guessing that they didn't download your map because they didn't like how it looked from the screenshots.

But I can help you test. So can http://halocustoms.com/customs/upcoming

My GT is Zandril S312. Just invite me when you see me online and chances are I'll accept your invite. Unless I was in the middle of something.

Not what I meant....I meant I think you and the other guy downloaded the map, but I'm not sure if you guys actually played the map other than looking at in Forge.

That wasn't a comment about "Why isn't my map more popular?" it was simply stating that I don't know how the downloads work...if you guys did play it with some friends, they must have loaded it off of you and not from the file share...I don't know if I'm making sense?

I guess I'm saying there's criticisms about gameplay and I don't know if it's actually been played...and I'm not saying that in a jerk kind of way...just a question...you know?

Yes. If we did play it with friends, they would have loaded it off of us. Not the online File Share. And you're right. I walked around in Forge and analyzed the map from there. But I'll try to get a game on it.

I can't say the same for FlyingShoe. I don't know if he got a proper game here or if he also walked around in Forge.

Please don't mistake my question...I SERIOUSLY wasn't trying to be an ass...I wasn't like, "How can you bash it...yadda, yadda..."

I'd love if you played it...and I'd love if i could be there for it...I added the teles and want to see if that helps.

My gamertag is Gearedmah22....I'll send you a friend request.

I did not get a game on the map. I would have if I'd felt I couldn't get an adequate reading on how the map could be improved, but the map had enough issues that getting a game on it would be redundant for me, as I can see what the large issues are and so until they are solved the small issues are not important, and may even change by the time the large ones are solved. The map author on the other hand should get a game on the map so he can better see the issues we have found for himself. If he is having trouble getting games on it I would suggest posting a lobby Here

As for the teleports, players can also shoot anyone who comes out of them. Soft kills aren't a real fix as they tend to dissuade players from using them at all (soft kills should really only be used to set map boundaries.) The teleports won't fix the problem fully, even if they help, but you should test it and see that for yourself. 

This map would be brilliant if you allowed center movement on the island either by raising the entire map or placing a second ring right below the island to allow convenient  movement fro the main map to second ring to island. Adding the second ring may require more work but it will possibly play better than just raising the map itself. Also, i am guessing this is best for 6v6 gameplay?

Yeah...I took this down...I think my work just doesn't belong here...

You guys are really good and pretty hardcore...I'm just a casual player...

Thanks for all the input...any casual players out there, hit me up...

GamerTag = Gearedmah22

Well, it's a nice clean forge but im not the greatest fan of buildings(choice in structure menu) being used in competitive maps to create playable areas. Be aware that this is just a preference.