Paradigm

gearedmah22

PARADIGM - A city-esque training facility designed to improve Spartans' Urban Combat Fighting techniques.

Paradigm is a fairly large map. It is intended it to be played with 8-16 players and is set up to play all Slayer types, KOTH, Oddball, CTF, and Extraction.

1026052_551456341585224_313315631_o.jpg1052638_551456321585226_1552342157_o.jpg1048699_551456408251884_2145257781_o.jpg980255_551456418251883_2139307992_o.jpg1048200_551456431585215_1952311648_o.jpg

I'm not new to Forge, but I am new to submitting.

Any and all feedback is welcomed!! I can tell by looking at some other submissions that "add some color" is going to be a common criticism.

This map has not been fully play tested, but I would love to give it a shot if anyone is up for it?!

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/gearedmah22/halo4/fileshare#

I took a look at the map and noticed a few things:

1. The lighting on this map is broken, which is caused by the enormous amount of high-polygon pieces you used on the map. There are a lot of ways you could easily cut down on this, such as by removing some of the structures outside the map. The courtyard and trees that could only be seen through blurry windows are extremely unecessary and should be removed, as players can barely see them and they use a lot of lighting budget. Other parts that are complex (buildings, decorative parts, trees, etc...) should also be removed. Do this until you can generate lighting again and the map will look much better. A few things like the crane were cool, but even that crane could be built using less pieces. 

You also could save a lot of budget by deleting the Coliseum Wall floor on the map. Your map is build literally right on Forge island, and the grass would add both color and contrast to the map while saving a lot of budget, especially if you reuse those walls elsewhere in a way that saves more parts. 

2. The map felt very claustrophobic, with players often being stuck in maze-like tunnels with little direction as to where they were going. These tunnels also are hard to fight in as no one has anywhere to move or strafe if fighting inside them. Larger, more obvious corridors would work much better, no smaller than 2 units in width, and more than that is often better. 

You also had at least one dead end room on the map, something that does not work in a competitive mode because players have nowhere to go one they go inside, ruining the flow. You also have an extraction node in that room, which will lead to players throwing grenades in over and over to kill the players inside, with little to no chance of missing because the grenades have nowhere else to go. All rooms require at least 2 entrances and should really have at least 3 to play well. On a related note, your extraction zones were very small. Usually a radius of about 2 is good for them, as it allows players to plant the node in areas that may not be as difficult to hold. 

3. Your weapons on the map seems a bit random or mistakenly placed. Red team spawns right next to a Binary Rifle (a powerful sniper) whilst Blue team gets a Light Rifle, a primary weapon that players spawn with. The other sniper on the map is then fairly neutral. It would make more sense if weapons were evenly placed on a map that is mostly symmetrical in layout, and to also mostly place power weapons. You also had a random drop with nothing in it in front of Blue base. 

Hmmm...didn't realize I had the random drop with nothing....have to give it a once over...I've already changed the colorings.

Again, I'd really love to playtest it myself and see what you're referring to...I understand there's a dead end room, but let's face it...there aren't any REAL rules...but I do understand what you're saying.

I definitely need to get a group of people to bounce ideas off of and then I can avoid uploading (or even finishing) useless maps.

As far as the weapons, I kind of randomly grabbed stuff and dropped it in hoping to playtest it and work things out...but since no one ever really plays my maps, I don't spend a lot of time on things like that...I guess if I were getting more hits and more feedback, I'd spend more time...hell, most of my maps in Reach still have never seen a single fight.

Anyways...looks like I've got homework to get started on...and now that I have somewhat of a line on playtesters, maybe I can try uploading something of value again later? 

Thanks again for all the feedback!