Limitless

THESLAMMERSS

Limitless

Made by: THE SLAMMERSS

Limitless is a small 2v2 to 4v4 symmetrical CQC arena. Limitless was originally built on Impact but due to frame rate issue was rebuilt on forge island and fine tuned. Limitless was designed to feel like the player is on top of the world, which they basically are as the map was built near the top of forge island.  

Link to map: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/the%20slammerss/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=87762c49-4f1c-498f-8df7-da6944078937

Video: Courtesy of Sir Zandril! Thanks Zan! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7iQxcwSe4

Video 2: Courtesy of TheRagingBrutes! Koth gameplay

download10_zps3bba8e82.jpg

download25_zpsc8b3e4cc.jpg

download24_zps3c63f62a.jpg

download21_zpse45e2538.jpg

download20_zpsfaabf2b8.jpg

download19_zpsb0a2e9ad.jpg

download22_zps08b9ec09.jpg

• Like 1

I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised with this map. The overall layout feels very good for a fast paced 4V4. However, with the way things stand right now, it may be a little TOO fast. I'll get to that. ANYWAY! On to areas of the map that I feel could be improved.

GREEN: Green was the first thing that grabbed my attention when running around the map in Forge. While the aesthetics are great, the structure jutting out of the floor makes the area feel a little awkward to move through, it really breaks the flow. I would scrap the middle structure, and focus more on the pip structures on the side. Flesh those out a little to create a choke point and add some cover.

THE BASES: The bases feel pretty good as they are right now. My concern is the areas directly outside the bases. The doorways to the left of each spawn feel a little cramped to walk through. Try opening those up a little. Also, add a roof on top of the halls where BR spawns. This would double as dancefloor up top, and add some segmentation to the map.

The ramp leading to top mid from each base feels a little bare. I suggest getting rid of the glass cover at the top of each ramp (it just feels lazy), and converting each of the cover pieces on either side of the ramps (the ones holding the Carbines and LRs) into full walls to break up sightlines a bit.

NEEDLER SPAWNS: These areas aren't too bad, they feel just a tad bit cramped. Remember, everything is gonna feel smaller and more chaotic when in game as opposed to just running around in forge. The piece usage here could also be better. The structure itself just looks and feels a little awkward, but nothing too major :)

TOWERS: I REALLY like what you were going for with the towers. My only problem is that they're a little too enclosed and campable, even with the multiple ways up. Try redesigning them to be more exposed to fire from the lower levels, making them a slightly less viable option to hold out in. Also, maybe experiment with a thin bridge connecting the two, just to add flow and options to the player (just a personal thought).

So, overall I'm really liking what I see. Try implementing everything I mentioned along with some cleaner forging in some areas (like the 4X4 Flat floors, Green, and the towers) and this will definitely start standing out more and more. Nicely done.

Laterz!

• Like 1

I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised with this map. The overall layout feels very good for a fast paced 4V4. However, with the way things stand right now, it may be a little TOO fast. I'll get to that. ANYWAY! On to areas of the map that I feel could be improved.

GREEN: Green was the first thing that grabbed my attention when running around the map in Forge. While the aesthetics are great, the structure jutting out of the floor makes the area feel a little awkward to move through, it really breaks the flow. I would scrap the middle structure, and focus more on the pip structures on the side. Flesh those out a little to create a choke point and add some cover.

THE BASES: The bases feel pretty good as they are right now. My concern is the areas directly outside the bases. The doorways to the left of each spawn feel a little cramped to walk through. Try opening those up a little. Also, add a roof on top of the halls where BR spawns. This would double as dancefloor up top, and add some segmentation to the map.

The ramp leading to top mid from each base feels a little bare. I suggest getting rid of the glass cover at the top of each ramp (it just feels lazy), and converting each of the cover pieces on either side of the ramps (the ones holding the Carbines and LRs) into full walls to break up sightlines a bit.

NEEDLER SPAWNS: These areas aren't too bad, they feel just a tad bit cramped. Remember, everything is gonna feel smaller and more chaotic when in game as opposed to just running around in forge. The piece usage here could also be better. The structure itself just looks and feels a little awkward, but nothing too major :)

TOWERS: I REALLY like what you were going for with the towers. My only problem is that they're a little too enclosed and campable, even with the multiple ways up. Try redesigning them to be more exposed to fire from the lower levels, making them a slightly less viable option to hold out in. Also, maybe experiment with a thin bridge connecting the two, just to add flow and options to the player (just a personal thought).

So, overall I'm really liking what I see. Try implementing everything I mentioned along with some cleaner forging in some areas (like the 4X4 Flat floors, Green, and the towers) and this will definitely start standing out more and more. Nicely done.

Laterz!

Thank you Squally! I will work on revising this over the weekend. one side note, i used dominion glass monitors as a wall to block but as the game starts and players run up the ramp they get a glimpse of the ordinance crashing into the extraction cells creating the first image posted. If u think i should remove these i might but as it stands it holds two purposes, cover and aesthetics.   Thank you! :)

Thank you Squally! I will work on revising this over the weekend. one side note, i used dominion glass monitors as a wall to block but as the game starts and players run up the ramp they get a glimpse of the ordinance crashing into the extraction cells creating the first image posted. If u think i should remove these i might but as it stands it holds two purposes, cover and aesthetics.   Thank you! :)

I understand the "aesthetics" side of it, but it's unnecessary and redundant cover that clutters the map and limits movement in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you BrokeBackHill, i strive to make my maps clean and detailed. i put aesthetics at par with game play to maximize the game experience

Map has been updated.

things changed:

The railing in the middle of the doors from bases towards green.

Added details to needler spawn

Moved the base stripes out for easier use

Thank for the feed back :)

• Like 1

Thank you BrokeBackHill, i strive to make my maps clean and detailed. i put aesthetics at par with game play to maximize the game experience

Map has been updated.

things changed:

The railing in the middle of the doors from bases towards green.

Added details to needler spawn

Moved the base stripes out for easier use

Thank for the feed back :)

Good updates.

Wonder if someone had anything to do with those. :P

Nah, just kidding you man. I hope to play on the map again with ya. You joining the FCCGN?

Hey slammers, played a 2v2 on this last night! I guess I played the updated version, cause I didn't see any of the elements that are critiqued in this thread!

This map is very loci, your theme is continuous , without repetition! Great to see a map without a bunch of brace larges, (No offense Brace Large I love and use you in every build). 

I find it rare when people use banks as fixtures, and cover or ornamentation, I really enjoyed this part of the map! 

I thought it played, and looked really good! The signature of the build is so smooth, and really stands out!

Nice to meet you!

Hey slammers, played a 2v2 on this last night! I guess I played the updated version, cause I didn't see any of the elements that are critiqued in this thread!

This map is very loci, your theme is continuous , without repetition! Great to see a map without a bunch of brace larges, (No offense Brace Large I love and use you in every build). 

I find it rare when people use banks as fixtures, and cover or ornamentation, I really enjoyed this part of the map! 

I thought it played, and looked really good! The signature of the build is so smooth, and really stands out!

Nice to meet you!

Yes I have updated the map and have no new feedback to which to improve on yet :)

Loci? What is this lol

As for brace larges yes I even used covers to well cover up the under side of the most visible ones at needler spawn.

Do you have any thoughts on what I could improve on? Great to hear gameplay turning out great :)

Yes I have updated the map and have no new feedback to which to improve on yet :)

Loci? What is this lol

As for brace larges yes I even used covers to well cover up the under side of the most visible ones at needler spawn.

Do you have any thoughts on what I could improve on? Great to hear gameplay turning out great :)

Loci? I should have not abbreviated, is actually Genius Loci

simple definition-http://www.thefreedictionary.com/genius+loci

Genius Loci is a concept used in designing across the board, art, jewelry, landscaping, architecture, and can be totally implemented into Forge designs! In short, it means the spirit, shallowly it means theme! You detected theme on my map "WINDWARD" that you reviewed on Forge Café, you understand this, and display this! Say if you were to make a house in a setting, instead of bringing materials in, you would use the wood of the forest to mill your lumber, and perhaps accentuate your place with it, you would use its stone for pathways ore other rigid hardscape features, and you would landscape with the native plants in the close plant community radius.

Follow?

So when I say this map is Loci, you continued the spirit, theme of this map yet never overplayed it. You used 1x1 banks to make unique playable ornamental fixtures! You also carried this theme with 4x4 platforms to give direction and mesh this map into a Celtic cog type of configuration that leads to harmonic flow of this map!

Hope this helps define Loci, I am surprised many Forgers already don't use this term more often.

I apologize, I have nothing to say at this moment of what you could improve on that already hasn't been said! I do intend on following this map to tune in on any other updates, and I am keeping it on my hard drive and if I ever stumble on to anything, I will take the time to bring my thoughts by!

Sometimes I feel we as Forgers spend so much time implementing, and completing guidelines, onto our own maps, and others, that we forget to stand back and say, "**** I had fun on this map"!

Critiquing can take the fun out of things a lot! For beginners I think its nice to guide them into a direction, and constantly help evolve the experienced. I beg you pardon for going off, but Forge is expression that we get to share with our friends and the community, and you express your Forge builds very well, and this map display's that!

• Like 2