The District

GryffinGuy007

"The District"

Brought to you by GryffinGuy007 and Robius5991.

Waypoint Link:

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/gryffinguy007/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=54783d31-b05d-40cb-9fca-e668fd6ee70c

It's been a while since I've submitted a map, but here you go.

'The District' is a casual-competitive map that currently only supports Infinity Slayer and FFA. This map is suitable for smaller lobbies of 2 - 6 players, and offers a variety of gameplay styles. Neither Robius nor I are experienced in the competitive area, so we tried to bring as much competitiveness as we could, while still maintaining our sense of aesthetic-appeal, which is very evident as you may notice in the video below. NOTE that this map is still undergoing an update whereby further access point and gametypes are being added, so stay tuned.

Consider this as either a Competitive or Aesthetic map, either is fine. The theme is clearly defined as a ruined city district, taken over by the forces of nature and left to whither. The map will showcase a variety of aesthetics, from street lamps to radio-antennas. I further apologize for the lack of screenshots; I will provide them as soon as I can. Without further ado, please enjoy this video courtesy of OnlineKnights. I am particularly keen on receiving feedback from competitive forgers, so feel free to comment.

thumbnail.jpg

Haha thanks, but I'm actually a member of OnlineKnights itself. xD

So what you are really saying is...you have already featured your own map on your own (and the co-forger's) popular youtube channel, and are now attempting to get another large forging channel to feature it again :P. I've always questioned when popular forge channels feature their own content over community content, but it is what it is.

Anyways, I downloaded The District earlier and took a look. I would definitely classify this as a casual/aesthetic map. The theme is unique and makes the map memorable. From a competitive standpoint, this map would not work on the competitive level. The main issue that The District suffers from right now is what competitive forgers call the "swiss cheese" effect, or an over abundance of routes and movement options that results in very random and unpredictable gameplay. There is no truly defined power positions as most of the map has a primary and secondary level, with very few positions that have true dominance over another. Also, the use of large glass windows that restrict movement and sightlines is a negative as well.

In general, callouts would be near impossible on here. The map is color coded singularly green, and with the exception of the ruined metro station, there is very few areas that are easy to identify. I think this map succeeds on a casual level for sure though and the aesthetics are solid.

I lead the weekly forge test lobby over at The Halo Council, the hub for competitive forging, and I plan to run The District in my lobby tonight 4v4 just to see how it goes. I'll follow up.

So what you are really saying is...you have already featured your own map on your own (and the co-forger's) popular youtube channel, and are now attempting to get another large forging channel to feature it again :P. I've always questioned when popular forge channels feature their own content over community content, but it is what it is.

Anyways, I downloaded The District earlier and took a look. I would definitely classify this as a casual/aesthetic map. The theme is unique and makes the map memorable. From a competitive standpoint, this map would not work on the competitive level. The main issue that The District suffers from right now is what competitive forgers call the "swiss cheese" effect, or an over abundance of routes and movement options that results in very random and unpredictable gameplay. There is no truly defined power positions as most of the map has a primary and secondary level, with very few positions that have true dominance over another. Also, the use of large glass windows that restrict movement and sightlines is a negative as well.

In general, callouts would be near impossible on here. The map is color coded singularly green, and with the exception of the ruined metro station, there is very few areas that are easy to identify. I think this map succeeds on a casual level for sure though and the aesthetics are solid.

I lead the weekly forge test lobby over at The Halo Council, the hub for competitive forging, and I plan to run The District in my lobby tonight 4v4 just to see how it goes. I'll follow up.

Ah, Fated Fire. Glad you came to take a look.

Yes, I agree with your opening statement, but I really submitted this variant here for feedback rather than the feature, as I know competitive forgers regularly visit here.

I do also agree, this wouldn't be a suitable map to be marked as strictly competitive. As stated earlier, neither Robius nor I are experienced in the competitive genre, so your kind constructive criticism is much appreciated and will be very much taken into consideration. I'll definitely look into the movement routes and power positions, as well as replacing those large window panels.

As for the callouts, we didn't even have the idea cross our mind. We didn't intend at all for an MLG-style callout map, but rather a casual-competitive, aesthetic experience. We may look into releasing a variant with callout colors, if you regard it as being highly important.

If you've already given the map a shot with 4v4, you may have noticed the crampiness of it all, which is why we advise that this map be tested with smaller lobbies of 1v1 to 3v3. If you notice any further changes you suggest we make, do let me know. Again, thanks very much for your time and feedback.