E3 Halo Unveil Wasn't Halo 5, Halo 2: Anniversary Being Discussed

Microsoft Studios VP, Phil Spencer has confirmed that the Halo game teased for Xbox One at the platform holder's press conference wasn't actually Halo 5, but rather another Halo game entirely. Whether it'll be titled Halo: Insert Subtitle Here or something else, we just don't know for now, and Phil ain't saying either way.

“There was no ambiguity in not putting a number after the game," Spencer told IGN. "For me, what we showed wasn’t the game. Nobody should be confused on that. I didn’t really want to try to show something that was clearly a thought piece by the studio around where Master Chief is in his journey, and then drop the name after it and be somewhat disingenuous about that being the game.”

And not explicitly saying the game was Halo 5 was part of the plan apparently, although the game is still a 60fps, first-person shooter starring Master Chief. That isn't Halo 5. “But I did want Bonnie to come out and say, ‘First-person shooter. Master Chief.’ Because they’ll get the questions – ‘Hey, is this ODST? What are you guys doing?’ Bonnie comes out and reaffirms that 343 is building this game,” Spencer elaborated.

"It’s Master Chief. It’s a first-person shooter at 60 frames per second. It’s coming in 2014.”

But it's not Halo 5. Right.

Finally, Halo 2: Anniversary looks to still be on the cards, especially as the game's 10th anniversary approaches in 2014. Microsoft is having "discussions about it" according to Spencer.

“I’ll be open. We have discussions about it. It’s more about the right time and making sure that we really would do the right thing for the franchise,” Spencer revealed.

“The Halo Anniversary that we did was as much about the launch of the first Xbox as well. It was a culmination of many things coming together. It would probably run out of steam if we were trying to think about, ‘Okay, what’s 10 years old now?’ It’s definitely more from the game itself, the experience that we’re able to bring to market. Less about ‘Is the last digit a zero?’ in terms of its anniversary.”

So there you have it. Halo for Xbox One is not Halo 5 but it'll be coming in 2014, and Halo 2: Anniversary could still be a thing. Yay

• Like 2

Even though it might not necessarily be titled Halo 5, I still believe it to be Halo 5 or what Halo 5 would be. By not officially confirming this Halo as Halo 5, then it remains open for speculation. Thus, building up hype for the game.

“I did want Bonnie to come out and say, ‘First-person shooter. Master Chief.’ Because they’ll get the questions – ‘Hey, is this ODST? What are you guys doing?”
Plus, he never "confirmed" that this isn't Halo 5. Tell me where Phil Spencer specifically said, "This is not Halo 5 or the next mainline continuation to Halo 4." He did not say this at all. It has not been confirmed that this isn't Halo 5. It has not been confirmed that this is Halo 5. To say otherwise, is just speculation.

I seriously hope it isn't an Anniversary game, no others need to be made whatsoever, Halo CE was significant for Xbox and Microsoft and the Halo series, no other games are as such. There should never be another remake.

On this Halo "5" thing, I hope it turns out to be it, seriously milking the franchise they are.