How Achievements work on the Xbox One

I'm crediting www.xbox360achievements.org for this, and I'm directly quoting this article... http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15251-Here-s-How-the-Xbox-One-Achievement-System-Works.html

alan-pettit.png
Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works
Written Thursday, June 13, 2013 By Alan Pettit
View author's profile

There has been some trepidation in the achievement community about the Xbox One achievement system. When they announced some of the changes (timed achievements, cross-game achievements, community achievements, etc) many of us were worried they had completely ruined a beautiful thing. Then there was the Microsoft Store achievement for pre-ordering the console itself, which did not receive many praises either. However, while most people saw that as a bad thing, it actually gave me a glimmer of hope being worth zero Gamerscore. It's just a badge, showing something you did at that point, right? That's what normal achievements are as well, but with Gamerscore, it showed that you've "finished" the game once you unlocked them all. But can you ever truly finish something like Skyrim or Halo MP? Not really, and Microsoft has possibly found the perfect way to extend the lives of their games even further through the achievement system without completely annoying Gamerscore completionists.

Major Nelson has posted an outline of how the new system will work. You can read the full articlehere, but I've bullet pointed the important stuff below.

• Only video games will award Gamerscore.
  • Your Gamertag and all existing achievements/Gamerscore will carry over.
  • There will be two separate types of achievements. The first type is what we have now, doing something in a video game to earn points. The second type is called a Challenge, and will be essentially serving as a badge only. Both types are still considered Achievements.
  • Challenges can be time based, do not award Gamerscore, can be cross-game ("played Halo 5? Here's a free Halo 6 Challenge Achievement!"), and some can be unlocked as a community ("as a community, kick one billion chickens in the next Fable!").
  • Both types are cloud-powered, allowing free additional achievements if a developer chooses (no longer tied specifically to DLC), and developers can change an achievement if it is too easy or hard, or if they'd simply like people to explore that tiny island no one bothers going to at the bottom of the map. Developers can also run contests or polls for the community to create or vote on the next achievements added to a game.
  • Consumers can now unlock digital artwork, new maps, unlockable characters, and temporary stat boosts via achievements. As well as sneak peek content, early access, or subscription extensions. This is not limited to games, video and music apps will have achievements.
  • Better achievement tracking in games (progress toward collectibles, etc).
  • Achievement feeds on the dashboard to show the newest achievements your friends have unlocked.
  • Upcoming Challenges lists so you don't miss out on the timed stuff.

So there you have it. Personally, I think they've nailed it. The only thing I would like cleared up now, is if there will be two separate entries on your Gamertag for each game with the two different types, or will each list be flooded with a bunch of zero Gamerscore achievements for all these Challenges? Hopefully the former, if only to make archiving them on our website easier!

So does this ease your fears, or do you still think they're trying to fix something that ain't broke? Sound off below.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...