Should multiplayer be aimed towards more competitive play?

gbsboard

Should multiplayer be aimed towards competitiveness  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should multiplayer be aimed towards competitive play?

Should Halo 5 multiplayer be aimed more towards the competitive play such as MLG play or Social play.

MLG play as in Halo 3 style (no ordinance drops, weapons and power ups were in set locations on set timers and there were no load outs which allowed for unfair disadvantage to new players)

Social play as in Halo 4 (load outs, ordinance drops, no set weapons or power ups and no set time for them)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Multiplayer is there for fun, it should be for fun. It should have 1-2 playlists for the players who like MLG but the majority don't care (In my experience, anyway.)

For me, if every playlis is MLG oriented, I would not play. I hted Arena and MLG in reach, I hate Throwdown and the sound of Legendary slayer in 4.

Social for me. I enjoy 4 the mnost out of all of them not RTS oriented(WARS FTW)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Multiplayer is there for fun, it should be for fun. It should have 1-2 playlists for the players who like MLG but the majority don't care (In my experience, anyway.)

For me, if every playlis is MLG oriented, I would not play. I hted Arena and MLG in reach, I hate Throwdown and the sound of Legendary slayer in 4.

Social for me. I enjoy 4 the mnost out of all of them not RTS oriented(WARS FTW)

I agree with this

We can have some playlists that are competitive but it should not focus on fun.

Why don't we just work out a way to accommodate both sets of fans? It worked pretty well in Halo 3: I'm pretty sure it could be made to work again in Halo 5. Just have two sets of game modes and call one casual and one competitive.

The 'Casual' playlist could feature things like Action Sack, Big Team Battle, Infection/Flood, Grifball, and Skirmish (a playlist with a random assortment of Slayer and Objective modes) in free-for-all, team and multi-team flavours. Loadouts could be chosen freely and there's be an emphasis on 'fun' maps like Sandtrap, Guardian, Cold Storage and Last Resort, and any Forge maps would have more an asymmetrical style with an emphasis on fast, chaotic action. All weapons would be available, with an emphasis on rarer and more exotic weapons like the Scattershot, Fuel Rod Gun, Concussion Rifle, SAW, Gravity Hammer and Binary Rifle, and power weapons would come with more ammunition and lower respawn timers so that at any time there's likely to be quite a few of them in use. There could also be more of an emphasis on vehicles, so that you're more likely to see things like the Scorpion or Wraith in play.

The 'Competitive' playlist would naturally play very differently. There would be more emphasis on 'competitive' game modes like Team Doubles, Lone Wolves, Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, Dominion and Elimination, and there'd be both neutral objective game modes (Multi-Flag CtF) and attacker/defender objective game modes (Single Flag CtF). Loadouts would be pre-set according to game modes, so that there might be a choice between the Battle Rifle and Carbine or no choice at all, and any maps appearing would emphasise balanced, competitive play: maps such as The Pit, Snowbound, Sanctuary, Battle Creek and High Ground would appear, and Forge maps would be retain the idea of providing tactical, map-control based action. A smaller number of weapons would be available, and where possibly these would be the 'Pro' weapons from each set: the Shotgun instead of the Energy Sword, the Sniper Rifle instead of the Beam Rifle, the Sticky Detonator instead of the Concussion Rifle etc, and all power weapons would have longer respawn timers and less ammunition in addition to being less common: this would make controlling the power weapons much more important, and mean they would need to be used more tactically. Any armour would generally be restricted to less powerful single-crewman vehicles such as the Mongoose and Ghost, to help keep the emphasis on infantry warfare and prevent any one team or player from gaining a particularly big advantage.

While the specifics would need to be examined, I think the general idea is pretty sound, and would make everyone a bit happier than just setting everything up to cater to one set of players.

• Like 3

I can't vote in this poll. There are many crowds to please as far as multiplayer goes. Not everyone wants to play "MLG", and not everyone wants to play Social. Regardless, there needs to be a solid ranking system and a social playlist.

Also, your interpretations of MLG and Social are messed up. Technically, Halo 4 doesn't have a single Social playlist because all of them are ranked. Social playlists in Halo 3 were vanilla gameplay, but they also weren't ranked. So you mean to say Vanilla Halo vs New Halo. And frankly I still think there needs to be a combination of both.

Not want to attract the CoD fanbase? That's what many of the additions to Halo 4's multiplayer were meant to do. Ordinance (synonymous to killstreaks/care packages), loadouts, hitmarkers, sprint, etc. If you dont want to play competitively, play on a social playlist. That way, if some "MLG player" starts an argument, you can just ask him why he's playing on social, rather than ranked. The dual playlist system of Halo2-3 was one of the factors that helped it stay populated for so long. Halo 4 basically only has social, and should have catered to both crowds, like ForgeMonitor said.

There has to be social and ranke playlists, but they shouldn't be all that different. Look at the disconnect between BTB and Throwdown in Halo 4. Throwdown's population isn't 9,000 players lower because it's not as fun; it's because it's unfamiliar to social players. Throwdown settings arguably work better because of the lack of random elements of load-outs and power weapons in personal ordnance. The solution is to keep things constant among all playlists. Not only will BTB play better with the lack of game-breaking elements, but it will encourage social players from that playlist to boost the population of competitive playlists. At the end of the day, the only difference between social and competitive should be vehicles and ranks.

• Like 1

@ForgeMonitor I completely agree. The only real differences should be determined by whether or not people want to play the game competitively, rather than play a variant of the game competitively. The way the "ranked" playlists are in Halo 4 seem to be treated like a third wheel, rather than an integral part of matchmaking. This may be due to the fact that (correct me if I'm wrong) the "competitive" aspect lost focus with the absence of dedicated playlists for it and of course, the lack of a proper ranking system.

So what I'm basically getting from everyone is that they should have competitive playlists (which aren't much different from social playlists except that they have a 1-50 ranking system) and social playlists (which have a spartan points ranking system, so the longer you play the higher you rank). That way, 343i will be able to keep the competitive playlists truly "competitive" by encouraging teams to win and thus maintain their places in the 1-50 rank system, while players from the social playlist won't be afraid to try playing in the competitive playlists because they aren't that different (same vehicles, weapons, etc.) This will ensure that certain competitive playlists don't suffer from population decline. However, the one thing other than different ranking systems that I'd make different between competitive and social playlists would be weapon loadouts and ordinance drops: competitive wouldn't have these things, social would.