All credit goes to this guy; give him a like on Facebook!: https://www.facebook.com/LetsFinishTheFight?hc_location=stream

War sphinx ( Big looking bird in Halo 5 Teaser Trailer) 

Screen-shot-2013-06-10-at-2.20.33-PM.png

War sphinxes were midsize Forerunner fighting suits used by the Prometheans. They were powerful war machines that were generally dropped from high orbit, and were capable of sweeping continents and decimating entire cities.

The Ur-Didact's twelve war sphinxes, used by his warriors during the Human-Forerunner War, were left on Erde-Tyrene to guard his Cryptum. By the time Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting visited the planet in approximately 100,000 BCE, these suits were considered antiquated and outdated.More advanced versions of the war sphinx continued to be in use during the Forerunner-Flood war,[3] alongside the more streamlined and less ornate Seekers used by Builder Security.

Description:

The war sphinxes were described as being ten meters high and twenty meters long, with an elongated tail that provided lift and power. From the "tail" rose a large rounded torso with a command cabin perched on top. As was common with Promethean combat constructs, the command cabin was designed to resemble a Forerunner face, with features arranged in an angry or stern expression and two viewports serving as "eyes". They also had limbs, with joints of hard light. Much like Onyx Sentinels, two sphinxes could also merge to create a larger unit, which still retained a similar "face" at the forward surface.

War sphinxes were programmed to contain samples of their wearer's mental patterns and personalities before they were killed in battle. These preserved personalities were less complete than Durances, but could still be studied by a commander to gain useful information. The Didact kept the final impressions of his children, who were killed in battle, within their war sphinxes.

Crew:
Driver (1)

Durance: A Durance was a type of Forerunner memory storage device. Upon the the death of a Forerunner, the individual's last memories and mental patterns were stored inside a Durance. The Durance and a bit of plasma from the immolation of the body were then presented to the closest family members of the deceased.

• Like 9

So...we're going to a tomb... and fighting possessed-by-ghosts ginormous machines along the way... Lovely...a nice vacation for Chief. Nice sandy beach, ginormous robotic birdies, tombs of evil...what more could a spartan ask for. Heck~ he even got Obiwan to lend his robe for this adventure.

• Like 2

War Sphinxes defended the Ur-Didact's cryptum in the novels.  And according to the final book of the Forerunner trilogy it basically implies the Iso-Didact (Bornstellar) is still alive somewhere.  Could be a very different twist as the Ur-Didact in Halo 4 was mad while his duplicate was still very much in line with the Librarian.  

• Like 2

Could serve the same purpose.  It definitely appears Forerunner, so how could that tie into the story?  While the death of the Ur-Didact is a bit underwhelming let's just assume he is gone.  So what part would Forerunners even have left to play?  Like I mentioned before the books leave the fate of the Iso-Didact, the Ur-Didact's top general, the new Life Shaper, and a handful of life-workers open.  That's the only connection I could draw from what little we see in that trailer.  

Could serve the same purpose.  It definitely appears Forerunner, so how could that tie into the story?  While the death of the Ur-Didact is a bit underwhelming let's just assume he is gone.  So what part would Forerunners even have left to play?  Like I mentioned before the books leave the fate of the Iso-Didact, the Ur-Didact's top general, the new Life Shaper, and a handful of life-workers open.  That's the only connection I could draw from what little we see in that trailer.  

Let's assume he isn't dead. Yeah, whole new scenario right there.

Ur-Didact was confirmed to not be dead, but 343 was kinda tight lipped about his involvement in the next game in the series, though it was mentioned he was returning in an interview somewhere, I'll try to find it. 

I definately concure that it has something to do with Bornstellar or another high ranking forerunner. 

It is most definately a war sphinx (they would not introduce something that is not in the books just to confuse people, it is a war sphinx, leave it at that, the whole levitating stones thing tells you it is , read Halo: Cryptum, you will understand what I'm talking about)

And as mentioned before somewhere, MC probably went rogue looking for Cortana, and someone mentioned that the planet in the background and the jagged 'rocks' on the planet he is on is more than likely what remains of the Ark (my guess would be that MC is going to every place Cortana was plugged into a system in order to see if he can retrieve some trace of her to rebuild her?) It would also make sense that there is a War Sphinx on or near the Ark (Forerunners kinda guarded that thing religiously, and my bet is that Bornstellar sealed himself in a Cryptum there, which would be mighty interesting. 

• Like 1

So, Ur-Diadact's, the guy we "killed", memories live on in the giant bird monster of dooom, well that's just fan-tucking-fastic, also less QTE's 343i, the occasional one is fine but we better get a Tarturus-style boss fight against this thing that would be awesome.

Wow. A lot of good thoughts here.

Ur-Didact was confirmed to not be dead, but 343 was kinda tight lipped about his involvement in the next game in the series, though it was mentioned he was returning in an interview somewhere, I'll try to find it. 

I definately concure that it has something to do with Bornstellar or another high ranking forerunner. 

It is most definately a war sphinx (they would not introduce something that is not in the books just to confuse people, it is a war sphinx, leave it at that, the whole levitating stones thing tells you it is , read Halo: Cryptum, you will understand what I'm talking about)

And as mentioned before somewhere, MC probably went rogue looking for Cortana, and someone mentioned that the planet in the background and the jagged 'rocks' on the planet he is on is more than likely what remains of the Ark (my guess would be that MC is going to every place Cortana was plugged into a system in order to see if he can retrieve some trace of her to rebuild her?) It would also make sense that there is a War Sphinx on or near the Ark (Forerunners kinda guarded that thing religiously, and my bet is that Bornstellar sealed himself in a Cryptum there, which would be mighty interesting. 

Dang, dude. You got some thought here!!!

• Like 1

As wombat said, there is no chance that this thing in the picture is a war sphinx. The descriptions so appear similar for their purpose, but the size is nowhere near comparable

Well, as already said by Archangel, there were newer, updated War Sphinxes which were built alongside the Builder Security's "Seekers". This could possibly be one (or maybe two conjoined) new Sphinxes.

"It would also make sense that there is a War Sphinx on or near the Ark (Forerunners kinda guarded that thing religiously, and my bet is that Bornstellar sealed himself in a Cryptum there, which would be mighty interesting."

Other than Bornstellar going into isolation via a cryptum, this makes sense. I could definitely see a Halo 5 trailer depicting the heightened sense of security around the isoDidact, since Ur-Didact absolutely detests him.

Actually, I guess before I make assumptions (and since I didn't read Silentium), how far in the past was Silentium dated compared to the events in Halo 4?

Edited by Hᴜᴍᴘsᴛʏʟᴇs

So, Ur-Diadact's, the guy we "killed", memories live on in the giant bird monster of dooom, well that's just fan-tucking-fastic, also less QTE's 343i, the occasional one is fine but we better get a Tarturus-style boss fight against this thing that would be awesome.

Let Johnson shoot him with splaser

I think I like self destruct's sigs rendition of it.

It looks.....

Great!

Why thank you kind sir  :smoke:

Anyway I'm not educated on War Sphinx'es (that's the correct pronunciation right?). I just know that it would be epic for Chief to have to fight through these to get to Borestellar's "Supposed" Cryptum, or maybe to just have to fight one being controlled by either Didact.