Halo 2014 trailer: Speculations and Analysis

It is great to have all of those questions flood your mind when a brief teaser like this comes out. Hopefully we can bring back those great fiction discussions that we had before the plot of halo 4 was spoiled....

to get on topic, this trailer was shown at E3 today (i apologize for the extra commentary that was in the video)

I am going to analyze what i noticed in the brief trailer and any information will most likely be a theory of mine. any other opinions or speculations will add even more depth to a discussion like this

1) The Environment

- terrain is desert-like, a sandstorm appears to be occuring at the time

- extreme and isolated, jagged rocks can be seen in the surroundings

- Chief could have have been exiled to die by the UNSC for possible war crimes

- Chief may have gone rogue because of the UNSC's actions towards Halsey in Spartan Ops

- Chief is searching for something, which appears to be the giant "ship" that appears from the ground

- no evidence of any life, besides the "ship"

2) Master Chief

- wearing a tattered cloak, has the same armor seen in halo 4 

-  the cloak does not seem necessary considering he is heavily armored, possibly just an element to add      mystery to the trailer

- Chief may be cloaked to conceal his true figure from an enemy, or to conceal weapons

- Chief has no visible weapons with him, this suggests isolation from the UNSC

- he seems to know what he is looking for, no prior details to suggest how or why

3) Chief's Hand

- chief has a metalic object that he pulls from the cloak

- it appears to be a dog tag from the shape and the chain that it is attached to

- the object itself may seem too large and complex to be a dog tag

- Chief has an emotional attachment to whatever the object represents, seen as he tightly grips it 

4) the "ship"

- massive mechanical object has been buried beneath the surface of the planet

- the gravity shifts above the area where the "ship" was buried right before it comes up (floating rocks)

- at its full form, the "ship" has the form of a massive bird or dragon 

- the parts of the ship are not physically connected, but they maintain the shape of the "ship", this greatly suggests that it is forerunner architecture

-does not appear to be organic

- orange lights can be seen on the "ship", similar to the orange glow of prometheans, *orange is a color that is often associated with corruption

- possible "super-promethean" or promethean warship

- appears as a menacing threat, but does not show any aggression towards Chief

and that is all i have for now. I tried to keep it short and sweet by using bullet points, so i hope the information made sense. Please feel free to argue any of my speculations or share your own

Edited by Victory Element
  • Like 5

I have a basic premise for the story. Spoilers from Spartan Ops.

Halsey is who Chief thinks can fix Cortana so he abandons the UNSC believing they don't need him in search for here bringing him to this desert world. THe robes are obviously to keep attention off of him.

Halsey at tye end of Spartan ops wants revenge, so I'd guess that when she finds Chief she will manipulate him to help her exact her revenge against the UNSC. And that will essentially be the game premise.

If this were the case I wonder if the UNSC would be enemies, that would surely make the game darker like 343 promised.

• Like 2

Halsey is who Chief thinks can fix Cortana so he abandons the UNSC believing they don't need him in search for here bringing him to this desert world. THe robes are obviously to keep attention off of him.

Halsey at tye end of Spartan ops wants revenge, so I'd guess that when she finds Chief she will manipulate him to help her exact her revenge against the UNSC. And that will essentially be the game premise.

If this were the case I wonder if the UNSC would be enemies, that would surely make the game darker like 343 promised.

good prediction. I had a feeling that Chief was searching for Halsey because he desires to have Cortana back, but she is now an enemy of the UNSC. I figured that the flood and precursors would be involved with this "darker" plot, but that may not be the case as you said 

The object in his hand is Cortana's AI chip just to let you know, Also, where did he get the cracks in his armor from, was it weather on the planet, injuries, or just neglect on chiefs part, because In Gears of War after (SPOILERS) Dom's wife died, he neglected himself, not shaving, drinking despite possible problems with health, this could be what is happening to chief.

This could also bring out Chief's humanity when he is forced to confront Lasky and possible stand off with him, making Chief realize he is human, and doesn't need cortana.

• Like 1

I can't tell if the UNSC or Halsey would be the enemies here. I've seen some great observations Victory good job. What I would like to bring up though is that it could be very possible that Chief's choice of whether he stays loyal to the United Nations Space Command or his creator and someone he looks to as a mother figure and the only person he's ever loved besides his Spartan brothers and sisters that died and Cortana. I personally would like to see him lean towards a dark path against the UNSC but find a resolution for both sides ultimately losing something valuable in the end but living to fight another day.

• Like 2

You've made some good points there Victory, I think that he's been abandoned by the UNSC because he went searching for Cortana without permission.

Now, a question has arised in my mind since they've announced the TV series: WHAT IF everything we know about the Halo Universe will change? What if they'll show us a story from the Innies prospective? Because we've always thought that the UNSC was "the Good", ONI was "the Bad" and the Innies were "the Ugly"; what if the Insurrectionists will become "the Good", the UNSC "the Bad" and ONI "the Ugly"?

BAM, changeover! Do you remember Firefly, or Serenity, the movie?

Think about it.

• Like 1

I'm not following... Chief is now with the insurrection? I might be crazy but that could be good. Okay just hear me out...

Chief finds out that Halsey is now  working with Jul. So he does some things to get Palmer mad and she tells what he did to a higher up. They put him on a mission alone to find and exterminate Halsey. He doesn't like it and goes to the Insurection for help. They tell him some things and he does some stuff. Then the librarian appears and tells him to go find the ship in the reveal trailer promising a reward...

I can't tell if the UNSC or Halsey would be the enemies here. I've seen some great observations Victory good job. What I would like to bring up though is that it could be very possible that Chief's choice of whether he stays loyal to the United Nations Space Command or his creator and someone he looks to as a mother figure and the only person he's ever loved besides his Spartan brothers and sisters that died and Cortana. I personally would like to see him lean towards a dark path against the UNSC but find a resolution for both sides ultimately losing something valuable in the end but living to fight another day.

I have a feeling that some resolution will be solved at the end of 5 and lead up to some epic thing in Halo 6. I honestly have no idea what it might be, but if I had to guess it will actually make the Didact a "worthy" enemy.

• Like 1

Now, a question has arised in my mind since they've announced the TV series: WHAT IF everything we know about the Halo Universe will change? What if they'll show us a story from the Innies prospective? Because we've always thought that the UNSC was "the Good", ONI was "the Bad" and the Innies were "the Ugly"; what if the Insurrectionists will become "the Good", the UNSC "the Bad" and ONI "the Ugly"?

BAM, changeover! Do you remember Firefly, or Serenity, the movie?

Think about it.

That would be quite the twist on the plot of halo if that was the case. I have never looked into the motives of the innsurrectionists, so there may be some truth that has been hidden from us.

Maybe the UNSC is the enemy, but it doesn't seem like it would be a smart move for 343i. They have disappointed a large part of the halo fanbase, and this would be too drastic of a change in the plot. Some fans would be thrilled, but I believe that the majority would only turn against 343i. Most people would prefer to keep the plot of humanity struggling to save itself from the ruthless alien alliance.

That poncho better be in the game. But anyway I think the story will definitely involve cortana in some way and as for the huge alien robotic dragon thing I'm thinking more forerunners because it has that kind of appearance with floating parts and red lights.

That would be quite the twist on the plot of halo if that was the case. I have never looked into the motives of the innsurrectionists, so there may be some truth that has been hidden from us.

Maybe the UNSC is the enemy, but it doesn't seem like it would be a smart move for 343i. They have disappointed a large part of the halo fanbase, and this would be too drastic of a change in the plot. Some fans would be thrilled, but I believe that the majority would only turn against 343i. Most people would prefer to keep the plot of humanity struggling to save itself from the ruthless alien alliance.

Yeah it would probably be too much. But I'd like to go deeper into this UNSC-Insurrectionists conflict, I mean there are only a few colonies still alive out there, and I think that with the UNSC barely active some colonies could just start another insurrection.