Replace Ordinance Drops with Armor Drops...

spartan123

Alright, I've noticed that ordinance drops create random gameplay and prevent players who know the map well from finding the weapons themselves and doing good. So instead of dropping down weapons for, say 70 points, why not drop down armor abilities instead. You could only have ONE PER MATCH, and like ordinance drops, they could be unlocked for a specific number of points depending on which armor ability you preselected (jet pack is better than thruster pack, so you need more points to drop it). 

This sounds very interesting and I've thought about it myself.

However, I do not agree with some of the things you have mentioned.

I think they should just add in the armor abilities and ordnance drops as randoms.

Having a goal for an armor ability would be kind of dumb, seeing as how you already chose one.

This sounds very interesting and I've thought about it myself.

However, I do not agree with some of the things you have mentioned.

I think they should just add in the armor abilities and ordnance drops as randoms.

Having a goal for an armor ability would be kind of dumb, seeing as how you already chose one.

Random drops are what is bad for gameplay - they destroy gameplay balance. That is why there should be no random weapon or armor drops. Weapons should be set at specific locations. In regards to armor drops, they should not be random either, since it is cooler for players to preselect (prior to game) which armor ability they want to drop - it adds a level of customization. Also, the fact that you only get ONE every game makes it balanced. It would not be dumb because the option of spawning with an armor ability would be removed - you couldn't start the game with a preselected armor ability, you would have to gain one through killing enemies or completing objectives in order to get points for an armor drop. 

I think if personal Ordnance is brought back it should only include primary rifles. This would work well with classic AR starts. Jump into the fray with your starting weapons, then work your way up to earning that Battle Rifle or Carbine. In this way, Ordnance is rewarding yet balanced.

• Like 1

Why not just have gameplay as it was in Reach but have random ordinance and armour drops for dominion or invasion or have I just done this to myself :pc: ,  :vava:    

I never thought about having drops for specific playlists, but that would make sense - in objective gametypes like dominion where you can spawn vehicles and turrets, it wouldn't hurt to also call in ordinance drops. Same with invasion, if they also bring that back. 

Alright, I've noticed that ordinance drops create random gameplay and prevent players who know the map well from finding the weapons themselves and doing good. So instead of dropping down weapons for, say 70 points, why not drop down armor abilities instead. You could only have ONE PER MATCH, and like ordinance drops, they could be unlocked for a specific number of points depending on which armor ability you preselected (jet pack is better than thruster pack, so you need more points to drop it). 

To be honest I'd just rather remove drops all together. I don't like how it destroys the skill gap.

I would kinda prefer a more traditional way of implementing Armor Abilities. Having them set around the map similar to the Equipment of Halo 3. I also like the idea of just starting out with ARs and Magnums. Let players go back to scavenging for better weapons. The thing with random ordnance drops is that you don't need to know the map well enough anymore, just get a few kills, get lucky, and blow people away with a Fuel Rod Cannon or Incineration Cannon that you called down. Also, does anyone else kinda regret how Sprint works? It was meant to speed up gameplay, but I never saw that gameplay was slow in the first place. Now it seems that people can just sprint to the other side of a map in seconds, especially with Mobility...

^ But ordnance can still be fixed. All 343 needs to do is put a fixed array of balanced mid-ranged rifles into the ordnance options. Then it will be good in so many ways: no stagnant long range firefights in the beginning, a strong incentive to get kills (more than just earning AAs), and a stimulated flow of gameplay.

Completely honest opinion, Halo is what created MLG as it is seen today, Ordinance drops created to much random gameplay which is the reason why it was dropped from MLG. MLG is what made halo 2 and Halo 3 as popular as they were, if you take that into account remove the randomness and allow the game to be brought back to the competitive standard it was known for. Remove pre load outs as they caused an unfair disadvantage to causal players compared to players who hardcore, allow armor drops but use them as power ups such as over-shield and camo were used in Halo 3, have a set point on the map and a set time in which they would drop, allow that with set places for weapons and a set time for them as well and poof you have a halo multiplayer that would be accepted in to MLG again bring back players who were inspired by the first 3 games.

• Like 1

@ForgeMonitor What point would ordnance be if they just went with the classic formula of weapons-on-map? If everyone earned up to, say, a Battle Rifle at about the same time (through ordnance), one team will win that skirmish, take the enemies' ammo, and mop the floor with them for a while longer until their BRs run out. In the original trilogy of games, weapons were set up so that people could pick them up, even after losing a BR duel without needing to desperately try to kill enemies with better weapons. Imagine a scenario of Sandtrap BTB where one team got BRs and the other got ARs... Its not pretty... Not to mention, after the BR holders got more kills, they wouldn't need to go anywhere to find ammo (avoiding potentially dangerous ventures into close-quarters). They could just call down more BR ammo. It would make it where a team with a better start would be able to dominate for the rest of the game, unless AR team went into hiding... and nobody wants that.