Is this really what it's come to?

In response to my original post, my sincerest apologies to the members of 343 industries. I understand the pressure placed by Microsoft, the fans, and maybe even the unveiling of Destiny. I ranted on about how it was a mistake making a Windows 8 game when really I'm only upset because I can't play it (iOS user). I also am not a huge fan of comics so that is my response to my rant on the dark horse comic series. I am extremely hopeful for "Halo Xbox One" with the speculation of Master Chief rebelling the UNSC to search for a way to reunite with his ancila Cortana and to learn what's to come of Dr. Halsey. Halo 4 was an unfortunate start to 343's quest for world domination but they've taken the next step in living up to the expectation of the fans. This isn't to say H4 was a complete disappointment, there were many important points to the game. You brought back our hero, made him vulnerable, and demoralized him. Now let's see what's to come of his destiny. 

I remember the days full of excitement and anticipation following the release of the newest Halo video game. Heck even Forward Unto Dawn caught a ton of excitement out of me! Now I can't help but be upset to watch Bungie.net push forward with next generation in gaming with Destiny, while the best 343 industries comes out with is a half hearted comic book series and a poorly thought Windows 8 game? I feared this would happen when Bungie handed over the rights to our beloved Halo Universe to 343 industries. I guess I'll be jumping on the Destiny bandwagon along with #TeamBungie 

Sincerely, 

A very disappointed, but loyal Halo fan

i know the feeling dude i was hoping for more not sayin its not fun but they did screw up

dont be so hard on 343, they tried their best and they still try to please the community and they also listen to it. of course many thing in Halo 4 went wrong, we all agree, but that also means Halo 5 wont contain these mistakes and it will be completely awesome^^ and who knows, maybe spartan-assault wont be this bad, even though I really dont like the concept...

and the main reason why 343 isnt capable of presenting a highly satisfying Halo-game is not even their fault, its just caused by the insane pressure Microsoft is putting on them, they are the ones to blame.

dont be so hard on 343, they tried their best and they still try to please the community and they also listen to it. of course many thing in Halo 4 went wrong, we all agree, but that also means Halo 5 wont contain these mistakes and it will be completely awesome^^ and who knows, maybe spartan-assault wont be this bad, even though I really dont like the concept...

and the main reason why 343 isnt capable of presenting a highly satisfying Halo-game is not even their fault, its just caused by the insane pressure Microsoft is putting on them, they are the ones to blame.

Im not sayin they didnt try i unlike alot of people do realize this was their first attempt at a halo game but either way they screwed up  hopefully they will redeem themselves with Halo 5

You said it half-respectfully... I'll give you that. But 343i is a new company, and Halo 4 was a brand new, not to mention 343's first game. And there is a whole new trilogy, so DO expect two more games, which should probably be a hell of a lot better. Don't be so hard on them... 343 is a new company. It is their only fully designed 3-D game so far, so don't go beast on them. Besides, you probably shouldn't come here to whine about how 343i didn't take care of your little pet-peves, that most others probably don't even have. I guess I'm just gonna go show off my #YOLOSWAG.

Sincerely,

A very dissapointed (in you), but open hearted Halo fan

It really doesn't matter the game, its going to happen to every company. But either way, I didn't like Halo 4. But instead of usually complaining (unless asked why), I would just go play a different Halo game. The other's are great, but the new one isnt so much. 

Anyways, just play something else in the mean time. And dont bother pre-ordering any other new game until you read the reviews. :)

• Like 1

I noticed you didn't say that you were jumping off the Halo bandwagon.  That's good to hear. :yes

I'm eagerly anticipating Bungie's Destiny, myself, but I'm also aware that we haven't been given any real important gameplay information about it, yet.  I hate to be a downer, and I hope I'm just being silly, but how Bungie is handling their Destiny community reminds me of how 343Industries handled its Halo community prior to releasing Halo 4.  And you clearly know what came of that.

I guess my point, if I have to make one, is, All good things must come to an end.  But, hey, maybe it's not through with us yet.

Or maybe...

C:/end darkpitofdispair.exe

I noticed you didn't say that you were jumping off the Halo bandwagon.  That's good to hear. :yes

I'm eagerly anticipating Bungie's Destiny, myself, but I'm also aware that we haven't been given any real important gameplay information about it, yet.  I hate to be a downer, and I hope I'm just being silly, but how Bungie is handling their Destiny community reminds me of how 343Industries handled its Halo community prior to releasing Halo 4.  And you clearly know what came of that.

I guess my point, if I have to make one, is, All good things must come to an end.  But, hey, maybe it's not through with us yet.

Or maybe...

C:/end darkpitofdispair.exe

Sooo.... ?

Technically what 343i did was show you damn near everything about the game, while Bungie is trying to keep things quiet and is anticipating your excitement. 

By the time Halo 4 was released, I didn't want to hear or see the game anymore because of the constant talk and the gaming news just pouring out info on it. It had all but shown you the story. Then the spoilers started coming out. 

So really, Bungie is just trying to keep you excited and not show you very much of the game just yet. 

PS. - Its nice to see you again, Father B. :welcome:

• Like 1

People always say that "The older Halo's had a sense of Mystery and exploration, and discovery..." But what they don't realize is that when Halo CE and Halo 2 originally came out, there was no books, or novels, or Movies/Shows, all there was to understand the story was a the games themselves... Halo was new to us. In Halo CE I was thinking "Where is planet earth? What does Earth look like in the 25th century? Who are these so called Covenant? Who built this Halo ring? What do the forerunners look like? Where did the flood originate from and why are they contained on this ring? Is Master Chief a Android or a Cyborg, or a Human in a Suit? What is the Pillar of Autumn's Secret Cargo? And Why is that floating light-bulb (Guilty Spark) so surprised, and grateful to see another living person?"... At the time there was no answers for these questions, which is (In my opinion) what made Halo what it was, and made the games good, and it is what gave them there uniqueness...

The minute that these questions were answered, the novelty wore off and the games lost their uniqueness, mysteriousness, and charm. So things are better left unsaid, or Unanswered. And in Halo's case the less we know about anything, the better.

We know who/what Spartans are, we know what Earth looks like, we know who Master Chief is, we know about the flood, and the Covenant, and the forerunners and now we even know about the Promethean's... Halo can never be what it used to be, or go back to what it once was, because we know to much... The only way Halo CE is even mysterious anymore is if we erase our memories and play it for the first time, Again. (Without reading the books, or watching Halo Legends, etc first)...

• Like 3

People always say that "The older Halo's had a sense of Mystery and exploration, and discovery..." But what they don't realize is that when Halo CE and Halo 2 originally came out, there was no books, or novels, or Movies/Shows, all there was to understand the story was a the games themselves... Halo was new to us. In Halo CE I was thinking "Where is planet earth? What does Earth look like in the 25th century? Who are these so called Covenant? Who built this Halo ring? What do the forerunners look like? Where did the flood originate from and why are they contained on this ring? Is Master Chief a Android or a Cyborg, or a Human in a Suit? What is the Pillar of Autumn's Secret Cargo? And Why is that floating light-bulb (Guilty Spark) so surprised, and grateful to see another living person?"... At the time there was no answers for these questions, which is (In my opinion) what made Halo what it was, and made the games good, and it is what gave them there uniqueness...

The minute that these questions were answered, the novelty wore off and the games lost their uniqueness, mysteriousness, and charm. So things are better left unsaid, or Unanswered. And in Halo's case the less we know about anything, the better.

We know who/what Spartans are, we know what Earth looks like, we know who Master Chief is, we know about the flood, and the Covenant, and the forerunners and now we even know about the Promethean's... Halo can never be what it used to be, or go back to what it once was, because we know to much... The only way Halo CE is even mysterious anymore is if we erase our memories and play it for the first time, Again. (Without reading the books, or watching Halo Legends, etc first)...

You are completely right about the mystery being a big part of what made the first two games great. But I also just think there has been a continuing decline in the quality of the games. The gameplay doesn't change much except for a few tweaks here and there and some weapon changes. After a while anything will become stale no matter how good it once was.

• Like 1

All games have been declining, and I mean pretty much all of them. Fable, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Need for Speed. Like I said, many of them have declined. 

But the decline isnt necessarily the game makers fault, its who's behind them that are pushing them out faster than they need to be. 

And part of that is our fault. We the consumers demand games often, fast, and that is what makes the game makers push them out fast. And when a game comes out, what do we all do? We complain that its not up to our standards. So we could be blamed for 96% of the reason's a game comes out poor. The rest of the percentage, is money and time. 

• Like 2

As far as I am concerned; Halo 4 follows 2 and Wars for best Halo.

Still, you, unlike the majority, didn't use all caps rage to type your post so I already have respect.

Now, it wasn't until Halo 3 came out that the majority if books and expander universe came out- to my knowledge, before this was Ghosts of Onyx, and The Fall of Reach trilogy. Everything else was after, and 343 has done Dawn (very costly and time-consuming), the Kilo-five and Forerunner trilogies as well as a friggin TV show. Sounds like a lot to me.

• Like 1

You are completely right about the mystery being a big part of what made the first two games great. But I also just think there has been a continuing decline in the quality of the games. The gameplay doesn't change much except for a few tweaks here and there and some weapon changes. After a while anything will become stale no matter how good it once was.

Exactly! It is no one persons fault as an individual or even as a selective group. It is a combination of everyone's fault. No one likes to beat a dead horse... But that's what Microsoft is doing by having Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward/343i/Bunige make so many new games every year that its ridiculous! I mean now Call of duty is in Competition with itself! By having a New COD every year they make more money but they destroy the fan base and community of the games, and it causes a chain reaction that also tears down the entire genre...

Although I am going to buy Destiny, I am still a true loyal Halo fan.

You have to give 343i a break, this is their first real game fully developed by themselves. Normally, they had help from Bungie. However, now because Bungie left, it is all p to 343i, so with that said, I am sure that making this game was very overwhelming...

• Like 1

Somehow I feel like sometimes people forget to match their expectations with the reality and I do not exclude myself from that, we all do.

But its jsut sad to see that there is a group among us that cant be pleased by anything.

If 343 would have made a Halo like reach, these guys would have said: ,,I didnt like Reach, I dont like the AAs, this Halo is bad."

If 343 would have made a Halo like Halo 3 they would have said: ,, 343 is just doing what Bungie did, this Halo is just a Halo 3 rip-off."

So 343 decided to make a completely new approach to Halo and now these guys say: ,,his is not even Halo, this is Call of Halo or something like that". This is just a situation that no company could have solved or prevented.

I mean, come on, just be fair and let 343 grow with their tasks and let them evolve. And for this, tme is needed. So please give them the time that is needed to fully balance their approach to Halo.

By the way, noone has to decide between Halo and Destiny... Like DN2012 said, why not buy both and enjoy both?

• Like 2

Somehow I feel like sometimes people forget to match their expectations with the reality and I do not exclude myself from that, we all do.

But its jsut sad to see that there is a group among us that cant be pleased by anything.

If 343 would have made a Halo like reach, these guys would have said: ,,I didnt like Reach, I dont like the AAs, this Halo is bad."

If 343 would have made a Halo like Halo 3 they would have said: ,, 343 is just doing what Bungie did, this Halo is just a Halo 3 rip-off."

So 343 decided to make a completely new approach to Halo and now these guys say: ,,his is not even Halo, this is Call of Halo or something like that". This is just a situation that no company could have solved or prevented.

I mean, come on, just be fair and let 343 grow with their tasks and let them evolve. And for this, tme is needed. So please give them the time that is needed to fully balance their approach to Halo.

By the way, noone has to decide between Halo and Destiny... Like DN2012 said, why not buy both and enjoy both?

Exactly! Its a lose lose situation for 343! Watch this video of Patrick Stewart from "Star Trek: The Next Generation"...

Just imagine 343i as Patrick Stewart, and every time he says "William Shatner" in the video, just replace it with "Bungie"...

Loyalty - A Strong Feeling of Support Or Allegiance

That is the definition of loyalty. Just because 343 didn't get a " 100% " on Halo 4, abandoning them after one thing is the opposite of Loyalty. Being the first game they ever made as well as the game being as big as Halo, is a bit hard for any company right out of the gate. Being Loyal to Halo isn't just to Halo, its to the company, the producers, the developers, and everyone else involved in it.

I admit Destiny looks sweet, but didn't Halo 4 look sweet when they started showing trailers and gameplay. All games look great when they are shown, its when they are played that determines if they are worth the time. So, getting super hyped about a few trailers and footage is normal.

• Like 1

Sooo.... ?

Technically what 343i did was show you damn near everything about the game, while Bungie is trying to keep things quiet and is anticipating your excitement. 

By the time Halo 4 was released, I didn't want to hear or see the game anymore because of the constant talk and the gaming news just pouring out info on it. It had all but shown you the story. Then the spoilers started coming out. 

So really, Bungie is just trying to keep you excited and not show you very much of the game just yet. 

PS. - Its nice to see you again, Father B. :welcome:

:yes Well stated. And I hate that I have to disagree.

However, I never felt 343 gave up all the goods prior to H4's release. Felt they consciously avoided answering the big questions (balance of AA's in MM, frequency/cost of Spartan Ops seasons, to name two), luring us all in to their black van with candy-coated BS and taking advantage of our vulnerability and naivete.

Bungie - Twam love 'em - is doing very much the same. We've actually been given a lot of info, and I'm having difficulty curbing my enthusiasm (believe it or not), but Bungie refuses to answer a very big question (Is PvP in Destiny going to be pay-to-win?), and they will renew my faith unwavering should they give us an honest answer before I pick up the game.

I have a knack for making myself look like an idiot, but I'm used to it, and I enjoy playing devil's advocate. ^_^

Now that that's out of the way: :D Hey! Glad to see you're still around, Ash. :heart: