Resivore

Epsilon v1.6

An original map design by Resivore.

4v4 recommended, supports up to 10 on team. Avoid FFA, as spawns are not set up to support it.

Supported gametypes: Slayer, CTF.

DOWNLOAD EPSILON V1.6

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer_zps016a9866.jpg

Introduction

A project I had failed to complete in Reach, Epsilon has finally come to life here in Halo 4. A symmetrical, competitive map, Epsilon features two power weapons on either neutral end of the map, promoting teams to make organized pushes towards either one and time them both. After several rounds of testing, and having various issues addressed and corrected, Epsilon is nearing its completion. The game play is fast paced and exciting, and teams are constantly striving for control of either end of the map.

Weapons

Sniper - x1 - 2 extra clips - 120 sec - Top Gold

Rocket Launcher - x1 - 1 extra clip - 180 sec - Top Green

DMR - x1 - 2 extra clips - 30 sec - Bottom Green

Covenant Carbine - x2 - Bottom of Red + Blue "Spiral"

Pistol - x2 - Top of Red + Blue "Spiral"

Screenshots

Initial loadout.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer_zps016a9866.jpg

Top gold, snipe spawn.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer1_zps6e8c7fbd.jpg

Top green, rocket spawn.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer2_zpsda1faa93.jpg

Blue base, shows basement that leads up to spiral.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer4_zps37808f5a.jpg

Blue flag, shows the entrance to blue spawn / blue "windows" (hallway on the right).

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer3_zps5d9c7431.jpg

Blue spawn / "windows".

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer5_zps98a1d021.jpg

The way you merged those pieces look really good. Especially those 1x1 talls. :)

However, I'm having difficulty figuring out the layout of your map because the screenshots you posted don't tell much about the map.

Could you perhaps post more screenshots with an overview?

• Like 1

Could you perhaps post more screenshots with an overview?

Sure thing! While I'm at it, I may as well comment on a few game play aspects as well. 

epsilonv1_6_zps45b33f49.jpg

epsilonv1_61_zpsb6649788.jpg

The team spawns in correlation to the windows.

epsilonv1_63_zpsfa0b122e.jpg

Shows the path from the spawns to green.

epsilonv1_62_zpsec9f74c0.jpg

Now, on a more game play related note.

A jump up from bottom spiral to red-gold bridge. 

epsilonv1_64_zps11515c68.jpg

When playing Epsilon, there are only two major spawn areas (the map spawns are STATIC, NOT dynamic). The most common spawn is the bottom of the spirals / "basement". The other is spawning on the initial spawn, or in that vicinity. The quick jump shown above allows players who spawn bottom to get ahead and push for gold control immediately (and shame on the other team who killed them if they don't have it already). 

From my experience on the map, the best set up on flag is to have a good sniper on top gold (sniping, obviously), someone with covering fire on green (nabbing those rockets wouldn't hurt either), another player free-lancing so to speak, and one running the flag. If the sniper is good enough, they can prevent pushes from spiral (especially if they don't know of the jump), and pushes immediately from the initial spawn area. If the people spawning bottom spiral decide to push bottom mid instead of their flag, the player free-lancing and the player holding top green can communicate this and team shot those players. When this set up is attained, running the flag top gold is easily the most efficient route to capture. 

(Interruption for a moment - in relevance to having a powerful sniper on gold, here is top gold's line of sight).

epsilonv1_65_zpsbe7606ba.jpg

Back to it - the quickest flag route would be straight through bottom middle, however because of the major spawn system being basement, that flag run is almost completely obsolete. 

Fear of "spawn camping" may be present, but the only time that is possible is if your sniper is really that good. To be honest, all it would really take is one or two players to take out a sniper on top gold, especially with the use of the quick jump. 

Even in defeat, Epsilon is fast pace and exciting, making for a fun yet competitive map.

I took a look at the map in Forge and I must say that you did a great job with this map.

I especially like the curved walls and the overall layout of the map. The map has good sightlines and veticality too.

Although the area with the tree stumps looks weird. But I guess we all have different tastes.

I can't go into detail with the map's gameplay because I haven't really run a game on it. So if you're ever gonna test this map and make some changes, send me an invite because I'd love to test this.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, even if it's not on game play (pff, I know how hard it can be to get a lobby of 8 from my own personal experience). 

Mostly what was going on with the tree stumps is just some key orientation elements. I know how hard it can be to figure out where you are on newer maps, so adding those trees + stumps can give players an over-all generalization of where they are while also supplying some objects to dance around/on during battle. Without this structure in general, green would be lacking in the architecture department, this allows for some various height elements on a key power position of the map that allows for some battles with depth rather than just a flat-ground fight. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Psychoduck

When we played version 1.6 last night, I wasn't impressed.  I could see a lot of potential, though.  Then we played version 3.6, and wow.  Let me say that that was a massive improvement.  The only problem we had was in regards to spawning.  At one point a player spawned at the enemy's base in CTF.  There was also a lot of spawning near enemies, which leads me to believe that there may not be ample safe areas to spawn on the map, or not enough respawn points placed throughout the map.  I haven't looked at the map in forge yet, so I can't discern the exact cause but those are my guesses.  Anyways, I'd love to keep playing this map if spawning can be improved.