Why 343? Just why!?

GlobalHawk722

So 343 recently updated the BTB playlist, put in complex, and added slayer pro. BUT THEY TOOK OUT RAGNAROK AND EXILE! WTF is this!???!!!? Those were the only maps that made the playlist worth playing! Now all I ever get is vortex, meltdown, and settler, three of the worst maps of any halo game! I'm completely done. I was gonna give 343 a chance to fix it but they ****** it up even more. Time to play reach again.

• Like 3

So 343 recently updated the BTB playlist, put in complex, and added slayer pro. BUT THEY TOOK OUT RAGNAROK AND EXILE! WTF is this!???!!!? Those were the only maps that made the playlist worth playing! Now all I ever get is vortex, meltdown, and settler, three of the worst maps of any halo game! I'm completely done. I was gonna give 343 a chance to fix it but they ****** it up even more. Time to play reach again.

became they claim complex is a small map and ragnarock and exile are played to much I agree they are played too much :thumbsup:

just back out if you dont like the choices. Rag and Ex appear less often so those other maps can be played more (at least thats what i think). if i want to play exile, i can always go to dominion

play reach

go right ahead. not trying to be mean or force someone to play something "they like better". instead of complaining about it, just do it

Nope, Ragnarok and Exile are definitely still there, they just seem to come up a lot less frequently than they did before - and as someone who enjoys maps like Vortex and Settler (minus the obvious horrifying spawn problems, of course!) I think the change is quite welcome. Much as Exile and Ragnarok are fun, I got pretty sick of playing nothing but them after the first four months. The lack of objective modes also really didn't help, big team objective has always been the most fun you can have in Halo.

Agreed on slayer pro, though. It's not really a terribly fun gametype to begin with, and the style of play simply doesn't work well with big teams and big maps. I know some people like to play it, but we really do have more than enough slayer in our big team already, putting more in isn't going to make the rest of us feel any better.

Prepare!

I went for the Assassination in Infinity Slayer and the weirdest thing happened, I puched him in the back and the animation had begun. However (this is were it gets weird) my spartan stopped half way, he appeared behind me and assassinated me!

At first i thought it was a lag however the connections were fine and no sighs of a hacker was present, maybe the server or have 343 really gone that far

• Like 1

Aside from the increased movement speed I have no idea why they included a no-motion-tracker gametype in BTB or why they put Complex in BTB.

I like the increased movement speed, but vehicle play without motion trackers is just dumb, forget skill, it's just dumb. Like taking off auto-aim. If you've ever tried that you learn quickly that despite requiring more skill it's not fun and kills take forever. You can also play blindfolded, but that would be stupid. Play sticks and triggers only? Sure until you find yourself face to face with your enemy, both of you snarling threats while you reload because you finished your clip without finishing your kill. Vehicles without motion trackers just kind of fumble around, perhaps getting a kill or two before they die to a non-threat that has everyone asking "WTF?!?" (Even the player who gets the kills will likely think "That was uncool and unfulfilling").

Crippling the player seems to be what the Halo community loves, which is probably why it's one of the dumbest player communities I've ever encountered (Although to be fair, from what I can tell, shooter communities in general prefer moronic gameplay. This is tragic for a shooter fan like myself who believes in layers and complexity. People just love their twitch/rush gameplay though, even if it requires very little skill or thought and favors the lucky). Sadly there are a lot of people who genuinely believe that the only measure of your skill as a shooter-player is your reaction time and your aim. The trouble with that is there are actual professional gamers in the world, and every one of them is more well-rounded than that. Reaction time is very important, as is good aim, but so is thinking, awareness, teamplay, communication, etc.

The game doesn't stop at making everyone moving targets. Unfortunately we have lots of idiots who can't expand their skillset, so they need everyone to have tunnel vision like they do in order to feel like the game is working right. Just because you're too damn dumb to use your motion tracker doesn't mean the game cheated you when the other guy DID use his motion tracker. And just because you can crank your speakers or wear headphones doesn't mean everyone else should have to play without a motion tracker so you can feel capable.

Sorry, I felt the need to rant a bit about idiots who think on-screen indicators like motion trackers and minimaps somehow make games worse. I suffered a lot of Halo 4 and some BF3 Close Quarters because the shooter world is full if 8-year olds who don't want to do anything but sprint around corners and spray at moving targets before resuming sprinting. The most limited, luck-based, instant-gratification, no-skill gameplay available is the most popular and that makes me sad.

Complex is not right for BTB (I dislike no-or-low-vehicle BTB, I don't think 8v8 Infantry-only Slayer DMRs is very interesting or rewarding). The few vehicles that are in Complex (Ghosts mostly) already get completely wiped out if they're EVER caught in the open IN 4v4! How on earth are they expected to make a difference in 8v8?!? 3-4 DMRs can often kill a ghost before it can disengage and grab cover, 5-6 will just make it pointless. I can make a ghost work in BTB, and in most playlists/maps, but only because the map isn't stuffed to the brim with players. It's a hit-and-run flanking vehicle, if you can't flank because the enemy is everywhere and you can't run because the map is too small and the enemy is everywhere, how can you hit-and-run? You can hit, then get hit, hit, hit, hit, dead.

Edited by Bloody Initiate

They put Complex in btb because it is a btb map. It plays a lot better in that playlist and isn't so unbalanced.

Admittedly the little bit of time I spent in it in a BTB game was fun enough, however as I said above I have a dispute with efforts to make BTB too infantry-focused. Infantry are absolutely necessary, I understand that, and large scale infantry combat can be fun, I just don't find it very fun in Halo.

In BTB I tend to want to either be in a vehicle or be on foot fighting over power positions on the map. I don't want to just be in a large paintball court, I want it to matter when I knock the enemy team off a certain point and I want it to matter when they try to do the same to me. Halo 4 maps are mostly just paintball courts, I dislike most of everything about their design (Overlooking their aesthetics completely because I'm busy shooting people), and I don't want to spend a lot of time in the smaller ones. The smaller Halo 4 maps (Of which Complex is one, even though it has a lot of volume it's all confined volume or useless empty space) all promote the kind of idiotic gameplay I don't enjoy.

The playable area in Complex is much smaller than the volume of the actual map. That dirt bowl in between the bases only ever has any traffic because the spawns force people to cross it on their way to the buildings. If you had a choice you'd never go down there. There's nothing to gain, you wouldn't even cross it to get to a better position. In a way it's too vertical, if you're down there you have no shot at anyone and they all have shots at you. That happens to be where the ghosts WOULD play if it weren't so deadly, it also creates a detour dimension which isn't any good for anything other than making sure players can't gain a defensible position, which is exactly what most of Halo 4's smaller maps do.

Edited by Bloody Initiate
  • Like 1

Ragnarok is fun, but I miss the little camp on the plains

I would like a classic playlist, Like Valhalla how it was in 3 (Wraiths, weapon spawns) and a classic playlist for the die-hards.

I just like classic maps.

On topic, I like the change. I enjoy all the maps apart from complex, and I'm happy to be playing more Cortex and Meltdown^.^

Nope, Ragnarok and Exile are definitely still there, they just seem to come up a lot less frequently than they did before - and as someone who enjoys maps like Vortex and Settler (minus the obvious horrifying spawn problems, of course!) I think the change is quite welcome. Much as Exile and Ragnarok are fun, I got pretty sick of playing nothing but them after the first four months. The lack of objective modes also really didn't help, big team objective has always been the most fun you can have in Halo.

Nope, Ragnarok and Exile are definitely still there, they just seem to come up a lot less frequently than they did before - and as someone who enjoys maps like Vortex and Settler (minus the obvious horrifying spawn problems, of course!) I think the change is quite welcome.

and as someone who enjoys maps like Vortex and Settler

Vortex and Settler

So.....you like playing maps where everybody ditches 80% of it in favor of a cliff simply because everywhere else the map sucks, and so engage in super-duper-hyperdrive-fast combat that feels like Halo on Xbox 420, all the while spawning instantly behind the person who just killed you and/or suffering the vice versa??

I understand. I enjoy playing Call of Duty as well.

Exile and Ragnarok are just lowered in the 'search' scale because everybody votes for it.

I honestly don't see why not. Both maps are on par with things that people used to love in previous games. The newer maps are based off dynamic spawning (AKA Noob assist).

As much as I love Exile and Ragnarok, I can understand the reasoning behind reducing how much they appear on the voting list. However, what I cannot stand since the new update is the sheer amount of vehicles and power weapons that are now available. The ridiculous amount of vehicles and how fast they respawn seriously take away from what made them special in the first place, and that was the competitiveness to get the vehicle as well as knowing that the vehicle gave players an advantage. Now, with the absurd amount of other vehicles as well as power weapons, vehicles hold little to no strategic advantage as the occupier will likely die too quickly.

As much as I love Exile and Ragnarok, I can understand the reasoning behind reducing how much they appear on the voting list. However, what I cannot stand since the new update is the sheer amount of vehicles and power weapons that are now available. The ridiculous amount of vehicles and how fast they respawn seriously take away from what made them special in the first place, and that was the competitiveness to get the vehicle as well as knowing that the vehicle gave players an advantage. Now, with the absurd amount of other vehicles as well as power weapons, vehicles hold little to no strategic advantage as the occupier will likely die too quickly.

This. The amount of power weapons makes vehicles too easy to destroy. In previous games to take down a Wraith or Scorpion would usually require some degree of teamwork, while now it's usually just a matter of attacking until the vehicle is destroyed. 

Exile and Ragnarok rarely show up in the map choices, but they're definitely still available in BTB. They just lowered how frequent Ragnarok and Exile show up because players always tend to vote for it. 343 didn't want this because it's not fair for those who rather play something different. Even if it's a crappy map -.- With that said, I got tired of Ragnarok a long time ago, so I don't mind.

Prepare!

I went for the Assassination in Infinity Slayer and the weirdest thing happened, I puched him in the back and the animation had begun. However (this is were it gets weird) my spartan stopped half way, he appeared behind me and assassinated me!

At first i thought it was a lag however the connections were fine and no sighs of a hacker was present, maybe the server or have 343 really gone that far

HOLY CRAP! I had the complete opposite happen to me not that long ago!

I was playing Team Doubles on Simplex I believe, and some guy comes up behind me and try's to assassinate me. But something happened and I glitched out of it, floated around his right, and beat him down.

I don't know why, but I know it has to do with the Assassination escape loophole (the one where you can escape an Assassination if you move forward at the right time)

I'm actually mad I didn't assassinate him  :laughing: