CoD was the halo killer.

Slayer25

I've started to play Halo with H4, so you, old gamer, can disagree. I loved the game, the most original FPS I have ever seen, but I noticed that there are few players for a Halo game in it's first year. H3 was the most played game in live for much time, but H4 isn't close of the players quantity it's predecessor. After think a little, I understood that CoD wasn't a franchise so strong as today.

There was a vacuum between 2007 and 2009, without Halo, then CoD had it's oportunity to take the throne. I mean that  H4 is not the real problem, it can have had some alterations that displeased the old school fans, but is far to be a bad game. The truth is: CoD has conquered hardcore and casual players, including some Halo fans, the public is in love for military games, rapid reflexes based. Is how the Halo time has passed away.

Lets see what will be the "CoD killer".

It's just an opinion, sorry for the english not so good, my native tongue has many prepositions, then sometimes I don't know the right time to not use them.

CoD is popular. Halo is AWESOME!

I still don't get why so many people prefer CoD over BF or Halo or any other good FPS. Remember, Halo Never Dies... It's just Missing In Action ;)

I think as you, but for some reason CoD is the favorite of time, it isn't bad and influenced all FPS of generation, but I can't play it more than 3 weeks.

I would say that the rise in CoD and Battlefield style 'realistic' military shooters has definitely taken over the games market. I believe part of the reason (PARTPARTPART NOTE THE PART) is that this means More people playing Military=less people knowing or willing to know about sci fi, fantasy and other styles of game in general. 

Say someone has seen their older brother playing CoD, they would be inclined to play that. Now then they would tell their friends about CoD, all of which would buy it. Over time, less people have even heard of games like Halo, Mass Effect and GoW until eventually, non-military shooters (Aren't there only like, two big ones anyway?) are more heard of and generally known about. For example- FIFA and CoD are big at my school, when asked about what I do at home, I replied "play halo, draw, read books, watch Family Guy" to get the response "Isn't halo the one where you're a robot or something?" at which point I facepalmed. I said it was an alien shooter set 500 years in the future and all I got was "That sounds gay."

Science fiction is just generally not even considered in anything by society anymore. 

*I am not denying the fact that many fans don't like 4 (I loved it) but most people (where I live) haven't even heard of the series, and the amount of people who have is dropping)

• Like 3

I would say that the rise in CoD and Battlefield style 'realistic' military shooters has definitely taken over the games market. I believe part of the reason (PARTPARTPART NOTE THE PART) is that this means More people playing Military=less people knowing or willing to know about sci fi, fantasy and other styles of game in general. 

Say someone has seen their older brother playing CoD, they would be inclined to play that. Now then they would tell their friends about CoD, all of which would buy it. Over time, less people have even heard of games like Halo, Mass Effect and GoW until eventually, non-military shooters (Aren't there only like, two big ones anyway?) are more heard of and generally known about. For example- FIFA and CoD are big at my school, when asked about what I do at home, I replied "play halo, draw, read books, watch Family Guy" to get the response "Isn't halo the one where you're a robot or something?" at which point I facepalmed. I said it was an alien shooter set 500 years in the future and all I got was "That sounds ***."

Science fiction is just generally not even considered in anything by society anymore. 

*I am not denying the fact that many fans don't like 4 (I loved it) but most people (where I live) haven't even heard of the series, and the amount of people who have is dropping)

Yeah, it's just a tendency of the market, it will change someday. Any hardcore gamer knows Halo, GoW or ME, but CoD has casual and hardcore players, while most part of the cited games have more hardcore than casual.

the only reason cod is doing better then halo is because most people when they bough halo 4 exspected to play a halo game. Instead the lovely 343 gave us a 75percent unfinshed game watered down shooter that copied many features from cod.  cod didn't do anything 343 Greediness is the entire reason. all they had to do was make a halo game that was different then any other fps and Like halo But no... Were stuck with in my eyes halo futuristic warfare. I hope 343 sees the error and understand u can't just take the halo name and load it up with cod features and exspect it to work, Halo 3 had over 100k people still when mw2 was out and I'm pretty sure halo 3 was 2 years old atm. I never touched a cod game untill reach came out because of how bad it was to me. And got into the cod franchise cause of the lack of Halo. 

If those things that you guys said are true, why doesn't 343 release a patch fixing everything? They have nothing to lose. In January we had about 11 thousand players in Infinity Slayer at noons of Saturday, now it's about 7 thousand, this way until Halo 5 there will be just 5 hundred.

Guys Cod was good its not bad and did kill some sales first day halo 4 made 222 million cod 500 million most ever beside Tetris i think.

But didn't kill halo at all.

IMO H4 sold well, but there is more than it. Is very important the number of players that stay faithful to the game. But what games are really very played today, beside CoD and BF (mean multiplayer)?

IMO H4 sold well, but there is more than it. Is very important the number of players that stay faithful to the game. But what games are really very played today, beside CoD and BF (mean multiplayer)?

halo only sold well because it had the name halo.. hense why the online is almost dead. Gear of war baorderlands 2 all sports games minecraft. ect ect

I see a lot of common misconceptions.  The game itself is not what kills another franchise, it's the studio and the planning behind it.  Both franchises make individual decisions based on what they "think" will trump the competition.  Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they are wrong.  But it is not the individual game on it's own legs, that fails.  Simply put, the player get's something out of it uniquely, the experience isn't cookie cutter. 

Stand-alone, both CoD and Halo have fantastic games with unique qualities unto themselves.  To say that one particular game alone kills another is merely a perception of the individual player or the overall sales.  Sales do not dictate whether a game or a franchise is truly successful.  Remember, initial printed factory/warehouse sales is what determines those numbers.  This does not include 2nd hand or rentals.  Longevity and playability far past it's prime is what should be considered a game's success.  In terms of shear sales and overall population during each franchise, Halo is the winner.  But yes as far as population right now, CoD is heavier with players.

The same can be said about movies.  Some movies blow others away during first weekends or in total theatrical sales.  While others surpass the rest with dvd sales.  By that measure, how do you really define to yourself, which is the most successful and which is the killer movie?  Remember... not everyone gets a game themselves.  Some people have games bought for them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas, and other religious holidays.

Destiny will be the CoD killer. If you ask me, I prefer working for the guns i use in a game. Assuming Destiny lets you use your hard earned weapons in the competitive multiplayer, that to me is much more entertaining than just leveling up mindlessly and using weapons the game gave you.

Whenever i speak to CoD players the one thing that they always say (bearing in mind that my sample size is relatively small) when commenting about halo is "i dont like the enemies".  For many people Halo isnt really a consideration when it comes to multiplayer games.

As for the drop in numbers playing online,  thats a shame really as its still a good game that was pushed too early.  Some fixes are happening but it seems unlikely to greatly increase numbers.

Call of Duty hurt Halo or Halo 4?

Right after 2007, it was clear cut what people wanted, the quick paced FPS game was the popular thing. Halo, never being all too quick paced action didn't become the number one selling game, but certainly not dead.

I won't be surprised if a new style of games becomes the norm, specifically sandbox games. Skyrim being watered down so much, and selling so much is some evidence of that. If GTA V gets huge profits I won't be surprised if an open world call of duty game comes out.

Edited by WonderWombat

Destiny is planned to be open world, I believe. At least some aspect will be, anyway.

I think Fallout, if Bethesda continues their popularity will be very popular next time.

Anyway, CoD didnt 'kill' the series, lack of knowledge about it did. Halo will never die fully, it will always have a dedicated fanbase

Destiny is planned to be open world, I believe. At least some aspect will be, anyway.

I think Fallout, if Bethesda continues their popularity will be very popular next time.

Anyway, CoD didnt 'kill' the series, lack of knowledge about it did. Halo will never die fully, it will always have a dedicated fanbase

I'm worried with the current Halo's situation, there are few players, and the numbers will decrease even more. My hope is Xone save the franchise. Destiny can be good, but I bet it will be very different from Halo.

Well, I personally believe that Destiny just looks like a rip-off of all the popular sci-fi works of fiction and I won't get it, but it will sell well. If it is open world I suspect it will sell even better.

Really at this point Halo will get really big, or fade away. It's getting a Star Wars treatment right now, and we will see if that is successful or not.

Edited by WonderWombat