Xbox One Console Disscussion

Xbox One  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion?

• I love it! Definently a buy!
    • Eh, I'm on the fence
    • Haha no

Never been a fan of the PlayStation, it just lacks the brilliant games such as Halo. Besides; always preferred Xbox and I'm not going to be discouraged about fan-boy wars all over YouTube ect.

I don't care Call of Duty was the only game shown in-depth.

We now know we can use our voice for a lot of things, including things like Skype and there's also TV.

That's impressive enough, it was the reveal of a new console in the first place; it was never a game reveal.

I am very much against the new xbox, I was looking for something with a focus on serious gaming and it does not offer that. Not to mention everything else wrong with it. 

If you are considering buying it I highly recommend you read this: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817/t/1362841.aspx (Note, everything here is linked with a legitimate source, I suggest you read it so you actually know what you might pay hundreds of dollars for).

first of i will probably buy an Xone insted of PS4 becouse i am an xbox person and all my frinds are on xbox

the "always on" dont bother me becouse i'm always on with my 360 so no difference

the used market doesn't bother me to much either, i only buy realy old games there like "two worlds" there are no where you can by that game new, or if am uncertain if the game is good and want to test them

kinect if it is always on why dont turn it away, direct it to another wall in the room and it will not spot you

the harware i belive is no big of a difference i mean i think it fit Xone's software perfectly

the software of Xone is way better than PS4 i really like the instant swithc and multitasking, what did PS4 get a way for you frinde to play your game on his PS4

i like the design of the Xone and the controller sems to fitt realy nice in my hand

and the price i dont realy belive it will cost $899 probably like $599 like PS3 when it was new, and very often retailer set the price high so then they can lower it than rice it, test it when there is an announcement of an edition (the big one) ask the retailer the price either thay say to be announced or they say a big overprice, like the price on the XBOX 360 HALO 4 edition they put the price on about $800 but it was later sold on about $500

Is having television added so much of a problem though? People are kind of complaining about that when they shouldn't. I am actually impressed by how Microsoft could even get all they showed to work on that one console. Yes, they didn't show much about gaming. However, they will show more at E3. At least they are trying to evolve Xbox into something more while the PS4 is just about games. Remember this. Just because they added all of these new things to the Xbox doesn't mean they are not still focused on gaming. I bet they have separated teams working each part of the Xbox ONE including gaming and television/movies. Just wait until E3. I want to see how the games look to see if they really are concerned about gaming.

As it stands right now with that I've read I will not be getting the Xbox One. For three main reasons. One is that I can't buy a used game for a certain price from a retailer like GameStop and be able to go play it. I'll have to pay Microsoft an additional FEE to have permission to play it. Which means I can't lend a game to a friend so he can try it out to see if he wants to purchase it himself or borrow it for a few days. He'd have to download MY profile in order to play it and if he wants to play it on his profile he'll have to pay the full retail price to do so. Two, there's no backwards compatibility so I wouldn't be able to play ANY of my old 360 games on the new system. And three, which is two points but, both are small, you'll have to install some if not all games onto your HDD, and the new Kinect is ALWAYS on. Maybe E3 will shed more light on these rumors and quell my fears but, as it stands currently I won't be getting one at all. Especially if the cost of new games goes up like I've heard. Instead of $60 it could go up to almost $80. Which is sad. Game Devs are now becoming money hungry pricks.

Is having television added so much of a problem though?

It's a problem because it's unnecessary and uses a good bit of system power that could be put into better things. The Xbox One runs three Operating Systems at once to achieve all of their new features, this means that about 3GBs of RAM will be tied up by the system that can't go toward other things like playing games. The PS4 on the other hand is only using one OS which will leave it with two more GBs of already more powerful RAM to put toward things like gaming.

At least they are trying to evolve Xbox into something more while the PS4 is just about games.

Well, it is supposed to be a game console, it can't really do any evolving without being a game console anymore. If I was buying the Xbone it would be as a cheap but powerful alternative to PC gaming, if I wanted all the accessories I would just go to my computer. Or, if I wanted to watch Netflix, Hulu, and other on my TV I would just buy a Apple TV which is much cheaper and better anyway.

I'll have to pay Microsoft an additional FEE to have permission to play it. -snip- Which is sad. Game Devs are now becoming money hungry pricks.

Just to correct some stuff here. You will never directly pay a fee to Microsoft. The way this is going to work is that a game store will have to be approved by Microsoft to sell used games and then Microsoft will monitor them and charge them for every used game they sell, this fee will then be split between Microsoft and the publisher. Also, I haven't heard anything about the price of games going up, actually the opposite will probably happen. Since the PS4 is heavily pushing downloading games which will push the prices down likely to $50, the same as the standard on PC, on their console which may force the prices to be lowered on the Xbone.

One thing I'm surprised no one has addressed is the indie game situation. Microsoft is not allowing any more indie games on their console, games must now be sent through publishers. This means that the PS4 for develop a huge indie game base and will control the market on cheap indie titles. That and paying to use your own internet service, seriously why anyone will still tolerate that is beyond me.

Ok so people have posted a lot of gossip, rumor and fear around this new system.  A lot of what I am reading seems to be paranoid suspicion and unwarranted precaution.  Last time around when 360 launched, there was a lot of gossip as well about the dashboard and the tons of new side loading features and layout.  None of which proved to be something to fear or effect us negatively.  In fact it had quite the opposite effect.  most of us wouldn't know what to do with the 360 WITHOUT all those features now.

Superintendent, while that article you posted was a fun read, it lacked any true operational environment facts.  Graphical units and architecture can and do effect performance on various levels.  But to see any real difference in the 2 systems, all depends on the individual developers and how optimized they create their rendering, sound and processing engines to operate within the limits of the new systems.  Just because a system has a better memory overhead, or a faster click, doesn't instantly give a game better graphics, better fps or even better performance.  Sometimes depending on the optimized game, faster clock reads can lead to unstable memory offsets, pointers, etc.

RAM is another story.  We have no idea yet what the system usage WILL be.  Nor is there any way to determine that.  Every game and application ahs different requirements.  I hear a lot of talk about multiple programs or OS's, yaddah.  Fact is, that every Xbox unit is designed to only execute one single application at a time, and only runs one unified OS.  I don't know where people are getting this 3 OS **** from, but they need to go back to school and learn about side loading applications, and scripting environments.  No PC, device or any electronic can load and use multiple OS's.  And don't give me that Virtual OS crap...that's an app running, plain and simple.  The only reason for the shift  to x86 PC architecture over the superior x64, is that it makes it easier for developers.  Developers can use a more familiar environment for debugging, programming and RT testing.  Remember, PC's is what most content is created on, then compiled into a platform format.  RAM usage is always variated, and sometimes, depending on the app or environment, certain types of RAM perform better than others.  Again, we have to wait and see what retail tests of ACTUAL games shows us.

As for always on, that feature is strictly for updates and updating the integrated "Guide" television connection.  Anyone in the U.S. who has a DVR, a Zune, or any other media box can tell you how that works.  It's not annoying, it's simple.  For that matter, how many of you actually have any device in your house that DOESN'T use a net connection that is always on?  This one is all over reaction and hype from people who really don't understand the methodology or reason for the feature.

Next up, used games.  What's the big deal?  Personally for me, I always felt like the developer was getting ripped off by scum  nags like gamestop, ebay, etc...

Every time a used game is purchased, that's potential profit lost to the hard working developer for their product.  It is only natural that in this constantly evolving media format future, that something has to give to keep the developer afloat.  I actually applaud Microsoft for this.  Sony, while it may seem like they are good guys for not having this, this actually hurts the developer in terms of their platform.  Whom do you think the developer is likely to flock to, to ensure their product reaches the maximum profit potential?  Would YOU sell games on a system that charges nothing to gamers who share all the games, downloads them or buys them second hand, or would you sell them to the one who is trying to maximize your bottom line?  Everyone wants to cry foul and pout about it, but I don't see any of you thinking about in terms of a business whom employees countless hundreds you all have families to feed.  But eh who cares, you just want to get your frag on...at whatever the cost of someone who isn't you right?  With that mentality, we won't have much developers left by next decade.

Finally lets move onto the dreaded TV feature.  Look guys, I can see teenage and college kids bitching about this one, but most gamers don't understand that their are multitudes of families out there, who have to share a single TV for gaming and television.  Why do you think Microsoft added this?  Do you think it's because they shifted away from gaming focus?  No, it's quite the opposite.  This is Microsoft's attempt to try to unify the gaming family, and give the "family" more reasons to be together.  How is this exactly not gaming focused?  Does the system not play games?  Does the system not allow you to communicate and message gamers?  Does it not allow you to do all things you do now?  IT DOES EVERYTHING THE 360 DOES NOW!  Explain to me how any of these new features negates or takes away anything you do now on a regular basis.  Seriously....explain it, because I haven't see one single post that clearly explains and details how any feature is making you do anything you do now not possible.

So in short, relax guys.  We have seen all this hype before and have gone thru all these before.  it happens with any new system.  In the end, only you as an individual can decide what is good for you, and what is not.  Someone on the other side of the screen cannot dictate that for you.  And if you let them, then you are just as foolish and moronic as they are.  Thanks for reading. 

TL:DR

• Like 2

MS isnt doing this for just the developers. They are also doing this in hopes to make up for what they lost with Windows 8 and their new phone. 

But like I have said before, the way MS is doing things, can either be a big success, or a major flop. 

If people  buy the Xbox, then discover that they dont much care for the used game fee, then there is a good chance that it will fail. And if enough people take their Xbox's back, or just flat out wont buy it, then the developers are the one's who will be hit the hardest. Especially 343 and Lionhead Studios. Because Lionhead and 343 are both Xbox only. So if MS fails, then your pretty much looking at the end of Halo and Fable. Because it is MS that keeps them going. 

As for the other Devs, they dont really have to worry much. Yeah, the shrinking in profits will hurt a little, but at least they have other systems to keep them going. 

So really, Xbox One is on a coin. Its got a 50/50 chance of being either successful or a fail. 

Graphical units and architecture can and do effect performance on various levels.  But to see any real difference in the 2 systems, all depends on the individual developers and how optimized they create their rendering, sound and processing engines to operate within the limits of the new systems.  Just because a system has a better memory overhead, or a faster click, doesn't instantly give a game better graphics, better fps or even better performance.  Sometimes depending on the optimized game, faster clock reads can lead to unstable memory offsets, pointers, etc.

I think this is very unfair to say. Hardware wise the PS4 is superior, there is no way around that. Saying that it comes down to optimization is not relevant and is similar to saying that the Xbox 360 is better than the PC because Battlefield 3 on the Xbox runs better than the original Tomb Raider does on the PC. Not to mention that developers are already criticizing it (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-xbox-one-developers-have-their-say-on-specs-self-publishing-and-tvtvtv), what that says about how much they want to work with the system is up for interpretation.

As for always on, that feature is strictly for updates and updating the integrated "Guide" television connection.  Anyone in the U.S. who has a DVR, a Zune, or any other media box can tell you how that works.  It's not annoying, it's simple.  For that matter, how many of you actually have any device in your house that DOESN'T use a net connection that is always on?  This one is all over reaction and hype from people who really don't understand the methodology or reason for the feature.

Not everyone lives in urban America, while always on internet is not a problem for me, there are tons of rural areas of this country that do not have a reliable internet connection, not to mention the vast majority of the rest of the world. Connection issues aside, who's to say Microsoft's servers will even be able to support a few million XBoxes that have to be always on? What's stopping this from being another Sim City or Diablo III?

I do agree with you on the used game issue, but Microsoft is going about it all the wrong way. The PC got rid of used gaming by making it much easier to buy a game new than it was to get a used game through digital distribution. The PS4 is going this same route, they are heavily encouraging people to download their games which is much more convenient than going to the store and buying it. Like piracy it's a game of convenience, if it's easier to buy the game new than to get it used guess what the consumer will choose. Microsoft is going a different route and getting brick and mortar stores to pay a fee which seems like the wrong way to go.

Finally lets move onto the dreaded TV feature.  Look guys, I can see teenage and college kids bitching about this one, but most gamers don't understand that their are multitudes of families out there, who have to share a single TV for gaming and television.  Why do you think Microsoft added this?  Do you think it's because they shifted away from gaming focus?  No, it's quite the opposite.  This is Microsoft's attempt to try to unify the gaming family, and give the "family" more reasons to be together.  How is this exactly not gaming focused?  Does the system not play games?  Does the system not allow you to communicate and message gamers?  Does it not allow you to do all things you do now?  IT DOES EVERYTHING THE 360 DOES NOW!  Explain to me how any of these new features negates or takes away anything you do now on a regular basis.  Seriously....explain it, because I haven't see one single post that clearly explains and details how any feature is making you do anything you do now not possible.

The issue is that it's unnecessary and is already obsolete. Microsoft is right about people wanting to combine everything together, but they don't want to do it through a game console. More and more people are using tablets, phones, smart tvs, and Apple TV type devices to do exactly what Microsoft is trying to do. What Microsoft has done is not create some new magical hub for all of your media, they have just added another device that does what everything else has been doing for the past 3 years but much more inefficiently. Instead of walking into my living room and saying a long string of voice commands which my xbox may or may not pick up just to play the new episodes of Arrested Development, I can already do this by pressing about 4 buttons on my iPhone (1. unlock, 2. Launch Netflix app 3. click Arrested Development 4. share to AirPlay) if I have Apple TV (Assuming a $400 price point for the new xbox, the iPhone 4S + Apple TV setup is $200 cheaper too and can do more).

Edited by SuperIntendant

Again, the always on connection is not going to be needed to play. This feature is likely to be used to update the consoles "social" and "media" integrated features.

While it may be unfair to say certain things about the hardware, it cannot yet be determined which system is more powerful in "actual" gaming. It can have the best architecture in the world, but if developers can't harness even 50% of it's potential, it's just another paperweight. Your comparison to Tomb Raider vs Battlefield is not even close to being even remotely accurate. Two completely different engines, different developers, different requirements of those engines. If you really want to compare things for PS3 and 360, look no further than Crysis 3 or Crysis 2. Crytek does all 3 platforms, PS, Xbox and PC. Of coarse PC will always be the dominant one, but depending on how well each system's architecture is worked with, even systems with lesser specs can produce better results.

Personally I don't use my phone for anything but but the occasional mini-game or phone calls. Call it what you will, but whenever I see people bragging about using tablets and phones for stuff, I just hear "I'm lazy". The Xbox One is in a way catering to that laziness and helping it become even lazier an experience. Seriously, what does using your phone or tablet or even your voice really save you? Oooohhhh I don't have to pickup a remote a click "power"? Wow people...you saved 5 seconds of your life. a whole 5 seconds you were doing nothing with anyway, hence you didn't save any time.

Also about the brick and mortar thing. You do realize that by revolutionizing the industry and pushing for sole digital or internet downloaded gaming, you are effectively cutting jobs and revenue right? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about convenience, but at a certain point that new revolution is going to cost us more down the road to compensate for job loss and revenue from it. Think about it a bit before you judge how good it is, or how well off it really seems to be. But then again, that might just be my "dad" adult mentality kicking in...

• Like 2

While I agree with you on many things, this TV feature really makes me mad. I have a single TV for gaming and television, and I can't see my bonuses with this console. Does Microsoft want my parents to happily watch me playing games? Then at any moment they'll pause the game and start watching TV? I can't understand. My problem is that many times I'd like to play while someone is watching TV. How does Xbox One solve this?

Unless Microsoft can offer your parents a better job, there is no way for any console to solve a single television issue.  This console does however, make it more likely that your parents will be willing to buy it and allow you to have it connected to a central hub for the family.  It's the features other than gaming that are biggest selling points when it comes to parents.  I'm a parent of two and I can tell you I would be 100 times more likely to buy my kids and entertainment device like this, over another console.

I just want an unintrusive game console to play my games on. And if I have to sacrifice two of my favorite titles for a new system, then I guess I'll just have to do that. But I am still falling for the PS4. :)

I'm on then fence, one hand it is an all in one kind of thing, but on the other it should totally be called Big Brother and only be sold in the UK.

I'll probably end up getting a WiiU once the big games come out for it, the playing the console on the tablet while in the bathroom is very appealing. :D

Edited by WonderWombat

O -o Well...pages and pages of diologue.... [skips it all] 8D

My opinion is that this is just another rushed attempt by microsoft to grab all the players and force them to pay even MORE money for useless items which they are making necessary. Look at it this way~ we all have the 360~ we are all happy with the 360 and the new games they come out with~ we have friends and achievements~ along comes microsoft~ "NEW XBOX D:< sequels on this one only~! You wanna keep playing halo~?! SPEND 300-500 on this new system~!!!" So we goes and takes a look at this new system and what can we look forward to~? 1. built in mics~ (conspiricy theorists beware~ they can hear you watching porn nao) 2. the ability to switch over and watch tv for those long boring camping sessions on CoD (heck maybe peope will get to see 10 seconds of your favorite soap opra in the kill cams) 3. the ability to go back to the main menu midgame (so for you who wave your arms in the air in anger~ you can rage quit more easily now~ on accident~!) 4. you still get to pay $60 or more a year for it all :D 5.you get skype~! (who cares we alrdy had parties to voice chat anyway) 6. you get to go over to a new console and lose friends who stayed behind~! (who needs friends~? :D) 7. you get to pay another 300-500 dollars plus the lovely fees for used games so microsoft can buy that shiny gold statue~ after all~ aren't we all made of money~? :D

Conclusion~?: XBOX ONE SUX  plz return to the drawing board microsoft~? and be serious this time~? we aren't playing xbox to watch tv...