[Update] Xbox One: Fee to play preowned games

xbox%20logo%20square.jpg?1369094912

Update see bottom of post

Microsoft confirmed that there will be a fee to play preowned games. When you put in a brand new disc in to the Xbox one you will be prompted with a mandatory installation to install the game onto the hard drive, if you wanted to loan or give that game to a friend or relative for example their xbox will detect that it was used on another console and that person will have to play a fee to install and play the game. 

This article is from CVG 

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee.

UPDATE

Here is an article from Polygon indicating that this is not true.

Reports of Xbox One's online requirements and used-game fees are no more than "potential scenarios" and not concrete details, Microsoft told Polygon via email.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," Microsoft told Polygon.

Initial news from Wired stated that those with second-hand or used games would be required to pay a small fee before being able to play.

Additionally, Kotaku spoke with vice president Phil Harrison during today's event, where Harrison told the publication that users would need to connect to the internet every day. Microsoft could not confirm these details.

"There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be," Microsoft said.

Microsoft said earlier today that Xbox One would not require an always on internet connection. The statement is echoed on Microsoft's Q&A page, which says that the Xbox One does require a connection, but does not always have to be connected.

"We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready," the post reads. "We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

This post has been promoted to an article

Thank you Microsoft, on making my decision on what system to buy. Good bye Xbox  I will have no part in paying you twice for one single game for two Xbox's. 

P.s. - I will continue to keep my Xbox 360. But I will NOT be buying this highly rip off system. 

I dunno, I still see very little actual statements and a lot of speculation in most articles.

Now if you give a disk to someone, and they pay the fee (full price) and install a game and then it removes the game from your Xbox, wouldn't Xbox be getting paid twice for one product? I don't see that going over very well and law suits will follow, I'm sure.

My Biggest question with all of this is that if a game is installed on my Xbox, can any profile on my xbox play it? I have 4 xbox 360 consoles now, Minecraft is downloaded on all my consoles, I purchased the game once, we have 5 live accounts, one for each member of the family, all profiles are on all of the consoles, so everyone can play minecraft, on the new system, will I have to pay for Minecraft 5 times? If so, I am done with Xbox, I simply cant afford it.

I already see this happening with Halo 4. I got the MapPass, and guess what, no other profile on my 360 can play the maps, even if I am signed in. My Son cant play multiplayer Halo 4 with me because he didn't pay for the maps himself, even if its split screen on the same machine. I even spoke with MS Support and was told that I will have to buy the $20 map pass for everyone in the house. $20 each, for five people.... How much money is enough for these people? Its getting stupid and they will end up killing the gaming industry with their greed.

Its not just MS, Maxis' new "Sim City" is totally online, canteven save to your PC, I cant let my kids play the game because its tied to my EA/Origin account....I will have to buy 5 copies of SimCity at $50 each for everyone in my house to play.

Imagine how life would be if everything worked this way. What if your car was tied to a "user profile", and if someone else wants to drive it, they have to pay GM or whoever a fee first....

I remember when you PAID for something it meant you OWNED it, and you do whatever you want with stuff you OWN. Now these jerks want a piece of our money everytime something they SOLD moves...what a joke.

• Like 1

This seems like a horrible idea. Unfortunately, like they did with the original Xbox, the 360 will be completely phased out 2 or so years after One releases, so you won't be able to buy 360's or games at major stores. So eventually people will have to upgrade.

As far as charging a fee for passing games around, A: you're losing the much needed word of mouth for certain games, thus almost completely making new and non-A-list games destined to fail, as well as adding unneeded complications to renting games.

And B: Being too damn greedy. But they did partner with E.A., I guess I should've expected that much...

Its too bad the MS is so self absorbed, that they cant even notice when they have taken things way too far.

Like really, just because they all have money in their pockets to throw around, doesn't mean we all do.

I am still waiting to find out how much each system costs and the price on each game. And then the retarded fee's. But so far, I am feeling so very let down. :(

UPDATE

Here is an article from Polygon indicating that this is not true.

Reports of Xbox One's online requirements and used-game fees are no more than "potential scenarios" and not concrete details, Microsoft told Polygon via email.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," Microsoft told Polygon.

Initial news from Wired stated that those with second-hand or used games would be required to pay a small fee before being able to play.

Additionally, Kotaku spoke with vice president Phil Harrison during today's event, where Harrison told the publication that users would need to connect to the internet every day. Microsoft could not confirm these details.

"There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be," Microsoft said.

Microsoft said earlier today that Xbox One would not require an always on internet connection. The statement is echoed on Microsoft's Q&A page, which says that the Xbox One does require a connection, but does not always have to be connected.

"We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready," the post reads. "We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

This post has been promoted to an article

This is very nice, that Microsoft is trying to quite some the the more extreme speculation by media and players. Once again, we should wait until E3, and the information published soon after it.

I am on my last thread of hope for the new Xbox  But if that box comes out and rumors prove to be true, instead of false, there is still going to be allot of very, very, unhappy people. 

Its not just xbox, everyone will be doing this, even PC developers....its going to e goodbye gaming, they will collectively kill the industry when no one can afford it

yeah but i'm sure pc people will find ways around it so i can download everything free :D. Gotta Love Pc

Yeah its kinda stupid the greed the game industry is trying to get they sell games for 60usd and thats still not enough.. Moves sell for what 10-20? and they haven't thought of this stupid idea. So sad Hope its not true Cause the xbox looks pretty good.

yeah but i'm sure pc people will find ways around it so i can download everything free :D. Gotta Love Pc

Yeah its kinda stupid the greed the game industry is trying to get they sell games for 60usd and thats still not enough.. Moves sell for what 10-20? and they haven't thought of this stupid idea. So sad Hope its not true Cause the xbox looks pretty good.

Sadly though, I can only see it getting worse.

But here is something you have to understand, MS has just lost a crap load of money. All the money they spent on the making of Windows 8 and the phone they made, they nearly lost. Because while they are trying to shove that crap they are making down our throats, which is what apparently no one really wanted.

Window's 8 looks horribly childish. And businesses dont want it. So loads and loads of people are avoiding upgrading their computers to the new Windows 8 and many more are avoiding the new phone. And MS is hoping that the new Xbox is going to boost their sales.

Which by the looks of it, isnt going to go as well as they planned. MS doesn't listen to their customers, and it going to turn around and bite them in the ass. 

But who knows, maybe it will work out for them, and maybe it wont. But we'll see soon enough. And if it does fail, the media are just going to love it. They'll make sure to tell the world on how MS is failing. 

well i'm pretty sure microsoft just screwed themselves because if the person wants to try it before paying to see how it is and he/she hates it then they wasted the money to pay for it.

i don't mind but at least have the other user have like a trail of it so they can look and if they hate it then they can know not to bother paying for it i mean really microsoft why not just make the first person pay to so that way you get twice as much you greedy people.  

They should have never made it mandatory download in the first place. It would have saved them and the rest of the world allot of trouble. The bigger their ego gets, the smaller their brain cells get. 

I refuse to pay twice to play a game. EA pissed me off enough with that online pass BS and the rumors of the fee might be true seeing as EA is getting rid of the online pass fee. But, E3 might clear up a lot of the rumors and bad news I've read in a lot of articles. If the rumors are true though I will not be buying the new Xbox. The only way I'll still get the Xbox One is if the fee is like $5 or something around that price range. If I have to pay FULL retail price than MS can kiss my shinny white ass.

Seems like MS is turning into a money hungry prick because Windows 8 and their new phone was such a flop that they're trying to recoup some of their lost expenses. So glad Destiny is still releasing on the 360 and hopefully the next Halo is as well. Don't want to be forced into buying the new Xbox for those exclusives. Once the price for it drops a lot I might pick it up but, will never buy a used game for it.

I thin in the end I will still buy it but, will only getting exclusive new titles and never get used games. Will still keep my 360 as well seeing as there's no back wards compatibility. Not even for Arcade titles which is just plain stupidity. Seems like MS just came off a 6 month crack binge and they think all these "cool" ideas will work when it'll just screw them over in the long run.

Edited by Neurotic Kasper

I refuse to pay twice to play a game. EA pissed me off enough with that online pass BS and the rumors of the fee might be true seeing as EA is getting rid of the online pass fee. But, E3 might clear up a lot of the rumors and bad news I've read in a lot of articles. If the rumors are true though I will not be buying the new Xbox. The only way I'll still get the Xbox One is if the fee is like $5 or something around that price range. If I have to pay FULL retail price than MS can kiss my shinny white ***.

Seems like MS is turning into a money hungry prick because Windows 8 and their new phone was such a flop that they're trying to recoup some of their lost expenses. So glad Destiny is still releasing on the 360 and hopefully the next Halo is as well. Don't want to be forced into buying the new Xbox for those exclusives. Once the price for it drops a lot I might pick it up but, will never buy a used game for it.

I thin in the end I will still buy it but, will only getting exclusive new titles and never get used games. Will still keep my 360 as well seeing as there's no back wards compatibility. Not even for Arcade titles which is just plain stupidity. Seems like MS just came off a 6 month crack binge and they think all these "cool" ideas will work when it'll just screw them over in the long run.

And thats everything I have been saying. Except for buying the xbox. That much, I already refuse.  

You know what really grinds my gears?

Two Three things...

1. The logo

2. The fact that it is coming out with a graphics card that is already ancient... 

3. No backwards compatibility

Its not just xbox, everyone will be doing this, even PC developers....its going to e goodbye gaming, they will collectively kill the industry when no one can afford it
Well PC doesn't have used games and Steam already controls everything with DRM.

Nintendo won't have it, and not sure about PlayStation.

Anyways I heard that the fee will be put on GameStop or whatever store you sell it to, which would make used game prices higher.