Forum Mind Puzzles - 6

Sikslik7

I am really, dumbfounded, no one had correctly answered the second puzzle until today. Jl1223 solved it one way. The other way is to tape the sides of the paper together in a tube shape and attempt it, drawing on the back as well. It really took a lot of brainpower. To see his solution: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/27425-forum-mind-puzzles-2/page-2 

This edition of mind puzzles has a practical implication to it. It may just save your life, or save you from serious injuries.

The Puzzle:

Suppose you are on an elevator on the 16th floor of a building, when the cable holding the elevator breaks. As you plummet toward the ground, you recall that you once heard that by jumping up fast at the instant of impact, you can escape death. You also recall that the floors are twelve feet apart and that the acceleration of a falling object is 32 feet per second squared. When should you jump?

Well, A: that doesn't actually work. Inertia would see to it you only lost a small fraction of your momentum, and you'd still be in trouble.

But for the sake of attempting to answer the question in the manner intended: I'm gonna go and guess, because trying to do the math didn't really help... Jump around the 3rd floor?

I am really, dumbfounded, no one had correctly answered the second puzzle until today. Jl1223 solved it one way. The other way is to tape the sides of the paper together in a tube shape and attempt it, drawing on the back as well. It really took a lot of brainpower. To see his solution: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/27425-forum-mind-puzzles-2/page-2 

SKILL. Woohoo Got it! Even though I hasn't posted it for about a week and a half...or more...because I was too lazy to take a picture...and yesterday I had a holiday.....

For this puzzle:

Don't jump. Lie on the floor of the elevator with as much cushioning available as possible. Rest your head on your arms so it doesn't break as well.

Prepare for impact.

BUT: If I am stupid enough to jump, and still didn't have ninja-super-fast-math calculations, I'd end up a bloody piece of goo somewhere. If I did have the math calculations....

Distance = Initial Velocity + 1/2*acceleration*time^2 

1/2*acceleration*time^2 being found from a velocity-time graph.

So we simply input what we know.

16*12 = 0+1/2*32time^2

16*12=16time&2

12=time^2

time=sqrt12

Time = 3.464

So you would impact at around that time...?

So jump earlier.