Disc Unreadable

Wikkiwild1

Recently I started getting a disc unreadable error. I did all the troubleshooting on Xbox.com and even some things not on the site. I have discovered the reason for this error, at least in my case is the game update file on my HDD. Once I delete it the game loads. Only problem then is that I must re-download the upate in order to play online.

Each time I install the update I get the same error, even when I have cleared cache. My game disc has no visible scratches. Love the game but I'm not able to play as a result of this.

I'm sorry, but it is most likely your disc. I have had this problem many times, and have found a way around it. Basically, over the past couple of years, game discs have not had as much protection put on them, making them easier to scratch and make unreadable (aka more replacement profits). I have tried the following method multiple times, and had success each time on step 2. I have done it with Halo:Reach, multiple Transformers games, a Lego game, and a variety of sports games. 

Before you do anything more, try the following (note, I am talking about Halo 4 disc 1, not the second disc):

1. Borrow the game disc from a friend that is not experiencing problems. Use their disc, and see if the same problems emerge. If the problems emerge, then it is most likely your Xbox, and you need to get it fixed. If there are no problems, it is your disc that is the problem.

2. If it turns out to be your disc, download the disc (your friend's disc) onto your Xbox. There is a way to do this, I have forgotten the exact location on the dashboard to start this. This process will download a copy of the game onto your Xbox. This will be the playing disc, not the second disc you have already downloaded. After completion, your Xbox will have the game on your Xbox, but will need the game's disc in to play it. Try to use your own disc now. If it works, then you have fixed your problem.

3. If this does not work, you will need to replace your disc. My suggestion, find a local store that rents games and just swap out the discs. This does not work for barcoded discs, but is better than paying for the full game again. If you want to pay for a whole new copy, go ahead.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, I will be happy to help.

If it turns out to be your Xbox, you have two options;

A: Replace it. This is the best course of action, Unfortunately.

B: They sell DVD laser cleaning things, they're little disks with a brush on them. It's cheaper than replacing, but only a temporary fix, as it'll just prolong your Reading laser for a month at most, before the brushes get too worn and start to damage it.

If it's the disk, you can replace it, or ask a friend for theirs, go onto the dashboard, select My Games, find the game in the list, select it, and choose Install to hard drive.

Good luck, I've dealt with this same problem quite a few times.

All great tips, thanks.

My current xbox is only a week old, which doesn't really mean much. My HDD is from my last S model and it works fine. All other games I have play without any issues. Only Halo 4. I thought it was the disc also until I deleted the game update file and the game loaded after that. This would indicate to me that the problem is with the update.

My xbox did this for a few hours one day, I fixed it by propping up the xbox to about a 15 degree angle and then it played the discs properly.  (my xbox sits flat most the time not up on its side like most ppl put it) :D

I solved the problem. I deleted the installed game from my HDD and cache. Then I rebooted my xbox and re-installed the game onto my HDD. I started the game, installed update and game started.

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated. :clap:

• Like 1

The most likely issue with the disc is probably the inside ring of the disc. When you over play a game, the inner ring will usually crack. This is due to the lazier disc reader over heating and burning the inner layer of the disc. In order to fix this issue you will either need to buy a new copy of the disc or get a disc repair machine.

I had this problem with my Fable the Lost Chapters working on my Xbox 360. Only solution I found, and it really P-O'd me off, was to pay for the Fable on the Xbox Live Marketplace. It worked, but I wasnt thrilled with paying to get my game to work...