High Stakes

Did4ct

Map: High Stakes

Creator: Did4ct

Gametypes: CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Slayer, Multiteam

Rec. player count: 4-8

Weapons: Initial: 2 needlers on top platforms, Scattershot on bottom center, 2 3xStickies below

side platforms

Random: 2 railguns on bottom level in back of map, Grav Hammmer and Concussion Rifle on side platforms, 1 damage boost on top Purple tower, SAW on mid-level crosswalk

High Stakes is a medium sized symmetrical map that is geared toward objective gametypes. It was made first and foremost for CTF, but plays well with KOTH. This map stretches pretty far and covers a lot of verticality with some trick jumps. One thing that is somewhat unique to this map is the use of 4 reverse gravity volumes as grav lifts. I don't know if this good or bad as they tend to be a bit slow, but they're pretty cool. I spent a little time on the aesthetics to try to make it look different than other maps.

CTF: The flags spawn on top of the level 3 Red and Blue platforms on opposing sides. While the two big platforms are easily crossed to along the bridge through the Purple tower, the flag carrier can't make the jump and must go down to a lower level before getting it back to the other side.

post-25889-0-57465600-1368581933_thumb.jpg

The name is a play on words with the tall stacked ramps being the "High Stakes" if that's not too far of a stretch.

post-25889-0-91324800-1368582040_thumb.jpg

post-25889-0-19885500-1368582064_thumb.jpg

view of one of the alleys between the base of the two tall platforms

post-25889-0-44545700-1368582339_thumb.jpg

View from top of Blue platform

post-25889-0-36227400-1368582587_thumb.jpg

Purple tower in the center

post-25889-0-97013800-1368582647_thumb.jpg

bottom walkway in center running parallel to the platforms with 2 reverse gravity volumes on each end going to the the Green or Yellow side second level platforms

post-25889-0-43695000-1368582981_thumb.jpg

Gravity volume going to Yellow platform

post-25889-0-69645000-1368583066_thumb.jpg

Trick jumps to the Green platform

post-25889-0-15543100-1368583177_thumb.jpg

Yellow platform

post-25889-0-67407100-1368583250_thumb.jpg

Blue-Green platform junction

post-25889-0-18354100-1368583383_thumb.jpg

post-25889-0-97396400-1368583420_thumb.jpg

View of second level of Purple tower from Yellow platform

post-25889-0-94465100-1368583513_thumb.jpg

View the gravity volume below of the Red platform.

post-25889-0-06582800-1368583669_thumb.jpg

post-25889-0-76687000-1368583718_thumb.jpg

Blue house

Below: View out from Red house to the bottom level with a jump to the second level

post-25889-0-71731000-1368582757_thumb.jpg

post-25889-0-29890700-1368582830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do the wiggles live here or something?

haha nah it looks rather interesting would love to see how it plays. Could it be however that there is a bit too much height variation on the map? The distance from top to bottom looks rather extensive and so the bottom would be avoided at all costs due to the obvious disadvantages of being down there...

• Like 1

Do the wiggles live here or something?

haha nah it looks rather interesting would love to see how it plays. Could it be however that there is a bit too much height variation on the map? The distance from top to bottom looks rather extensive and so the bottom would be avoided at all costs due to the obvious disadvantages of being down there...

The map looks very interesting. I'm not a big fan of the candy coloring though.

Haha I almost named this map Clownshow or something like that for obvious reasons. But I just kind of like the weird colors because it's sort of different. I think it might do with a name change though.

I thought about the verticality and didn't want to make the top platforms too powerful so I put a lot of cover on the lower levels, and not so much on the high ones. There are also those grav volumes that take you to the top without risk of being shot. That's a good concern but I don't think it's too much of an issue.

Does this map lag at all with 12 people? It seems like a very vertically pleasing map and i am gonna love testing this out! How many teams is it set up for?

I didn't test it with 12 but it shouldn't. The budget's a little over 8000 I think and there aren't a lot of 45 degree pieces. It's set up for 8 teams with 4 spawns for each with the exception of Red and Blue. Thanks and let me know how the test goes

This is a very unique map on a variety of levels... (no verticality pun intended)

The goofy curves and colors give this map it's own unique shine, as well as adding to some great aesthetic detail. Those curves are really quite remarkable, and I think you should extend upon them as a recurring theme throughout the map. To me, this map almost has a Covenant design to it. It also looks to be of incredible detail, so I commend you on somehow managing to stay within the budget and piece cap.

Nice work, I'll certainly give this map a download.

• Like 1

Ok so I tested this map and have to say it was aesthetically pleasing all around and was a lot of fun!  However we found the best team size to be 2v2 or 3v3, anything else got a little chaotic.  We were able to play a few games of Slayer, FFA, and Oddball.  I'd put the max to 8 players.

Some suggestions:

Take away the Fuel Rod spawn because this weapon is much too powerful for a close range map like this.  I destroyed a lot of people with that thing haha ;)

Also possibly make it only 1 sticky det spawn and in a different location, or just switch out the weapon for a less powerful one.  If you are good with the sticky det on this map, no one can kill you!  (maybe concussion rifle?)

Is the map set up for FFA?  We had 4 people and one of them spawned outside of the map on start in Infinity Rumble gametype.

Other than that the map was awesome!  Especially for 2v2 :)  GREAT JOB!!!!

interesting. I will download and let you know what I think, I might even get some decent gameplay testing in there.

This is a very unique map on a variety of levels... (no verticality pun intended)

The goofy curves and colors give this map it's own unique shine, as well as adding to some great aesthetic detail. Those curves are really quite remarkable, and I think you should extend upon them as a recurring theme throughout the map. To me, this map almost has a Covenant design to it. It also looks to be of incredible detail, so I commend you on somehow managing to stay within the budget and piece cap.

Nice work, I'll certainly give this map a download.

Ok so I tested this map and have to say it was aesthetically pleasing all around and was a lot of fun!  However we found the best team size to be 2v2 or 3v3, anything else got a little chaotic.  We were able to play a few games of Slayer, FFA, and Oddball.  I'd put the max to 8 players.

Some suggestions:

Take away the Fuel Rod spawn because this weapon is much too powerful for a close range map like this.  I destroyed a lot of people with that thing haha ;)

Also possibly make it only 1 sticky det spawn and in a different location, or just switch out the weapon for a less powerful one.  If you are good with the sticky det on this map, no one can kill you!  (maybe concussion rifle?)

Is the map set up for FFA?  We had 4 people and one of them spawned outside of the map on start in Infinity Rumble gametype.

Other than that the map was awesome!  Especially for 2v2 :)  GREAT JOB!!!!

I appreciate it. Jernst, I agree that there are some weapon issues and I changed the Fuel Rod to a SAW and the Sticky Dets to a Grav Hammer and Concussion Rifle. The map is set up for FFA but I can't find any spawn point outside of the map that your friend may have spawned at. Thanks for the feedback

• 1 month later...

From a couple of those screenshots this almost looks like a miniature urban city. The wiggles are ingenious and  i may incorporate those into one of my maps. I get a really creepy vibe from this map and i feel like that is wasted by it being a slayer map. You should build a map with narrow pathways within a towering skyscraper. 

Thanks I've done adjusting on the map to allow more movement options. It's not in my fileshare because I lost xbl but I'm going to put up the newest version when I get back in town in about 10 days.

I don't want to "send-to-Xbox" because it always has this glitch where it constantly sends the map to my local files but the map looks pretty cool. The jumps seemed a little forced yet i will give you that i would never have thought of your jump up placement if it weren't so cleverly placed. The spawning is all right considering that it is pretty hard to screw spawns on a linear map. The amp seems too crunched in for 6-12 gameplay. I would say it is best for 1v1, 3v3, and 4v4 TS. Capture the flag would work well on this map because the flag carrier would often be forced to go to the bottom of the map which is susceptible to everyone. This map would truly make a hardcore CTF match. 

CTF notes: Flag carrier would be attacked near top and would mostly dominate any who oppose at bottom floor. Keep 1 person with the flag carrier at bottom floor while the rest of the team picks off the other team from top floor(other team either jumps to bottom floor or is distracted by flag carrier while shooting at top floor. The only hope for the opposing team is if they can out-fire your team on top floor so they can swiftly take out the bottom flag carrier and supporter team-mate. By this time the top floor players would again have the advantage. 

This map will take a while to capture the flag yet surely the flag will be captured first try(as in flag wont be respawned)