Important Warning for ALL members - please read as a matter of urgency!

So does this mean that that Arabian princess that messaged me wasn't real.

:(

Whoops, sorry, thought I'd sent that from this account.

She is real, but 'he' doesn't want to cuddle! lol

...damn it, ninja'd!

Edited by RedStarRocket91
  • Like 3

thanks for everything about this. helped me and ill tell any of you if i see this. also even though this said comments are only for questions i just want to say well said for the whole thread. one more thing if you don't mind but is there anyway of finding these things before the messages get sent to someone

thanks for everything about this. helped me and ill tell any of you if i see this. also even though this said comments are only for questions i just want to say well said for the whole thread. one more thing if you don't mind but is there anyway of finding these things before the messages get sent to someone

We have filters which prevent most of the spambots from joining the site and creating accounts: last time I checked, there were several hundred spambots blocked in a single day. We've now got new filters which are even better, so there's a lot less of them managing to get through than before.

However, the system isn't perfect and there's always a few which manage to join the site: sadly once someone has signed up, there's no way for us to tell whether they're here to cause trouble or legitimate members until they start posting. We also don't want to start banning people just because we're suspicious that they're here to spam: we need to wait for proof.

Part of why we've made this announcement is to help ensure these spammers are dealt with as soon as possible: the faster our members report them, the faster we can deal with them, meaning the less likely other members are to be spammed as well.

• Like 1

So... there goes Miss Pascalina, or whatever the hell her name was. I did find it suspicious, but I'll be honest. I never understood how great moderators are, I only thought you guys were there to make us obey the rules, but now I realize you protect us as well, as making sure we follow the rules. Thank you so much. I cannot express HOW MUCH I appreciate you guys right now. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

We have filters which prevent most of the spambots from joining the site and creating accounts: last time I checked, there were several hundred spambots blocked in a single day. We've now got new filters which are even better, so there's a lot less of them managing to get through than before.

However, the system isn't perfect and there's always a few which manage to join the site: sadly once someone has signed up, there's no way for us to tell whether they're here to cause trouble or legitimate members until they start posting. We also don't want to start banning people just because we're suspicious that they're here to spam: we need to wait for proof.

Part of why we've made this announcement is to help ensure these spammers are dealt with as soon as possible: the faster our members report them, the faster we can deal with them, meaning the less likely other members are to be spammed as well.

thank you for everything. this helps. actually i did report someone to total mayh3m. caboose the ace i think you remember who he is. he spammed like crazy about halo 4 being a bad game. so if you want i can PM you his name. i saved my conversation with total about it

So... there goes Miss Pascalina, or whatever the hell her name was. I did find it suspicious, but I'll be honest. I never understood how great moderators are, I only thought you guys were there to make us obey the rules, but now I realize you protect us as well, as making sure we follow the rules. Thank you so much. I cannot express HOW MUCH I appreciate you guys right now. Thanks. :)

I got a message from her too, I was glad The Director was there to help me :D

I did get a seemingly suspicious "woman" add me on Skype.

She then tried to link me to a dating site, of course I denied, however.

I'm not sure this had anything to do with this site, as I'm unsure as to whether or not it was a member from here - or just an everyday scam. Anyway, it's great that you're informing us of these recent scams and scandals. I hope nobody has been dramatically affected by these events yet.

I did get a seemingly suspicious "woman" add me on Skype.

She then tried to link me to a dating site, of course I denied, however.

I'm not sure this had anything to do with this site, as I'm unsure as to whether or not it was a member from here - or just an everyday scam. Anyway, it's great that you're informing us of these recent scams and scandals. I hope nobody has been dramatically affected by these events yet.

'Fortunately' - a word I use in the loosest possible sense - this kind of thing has been going on for years in MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger, so it's almost certainly just a continuation of that rather than anything to do with our site. You definitely made the right decision though, pretty much any site which advertises through irregular methods is going to be involved with something shady.

As far as we know, we've caught and disabled all of the spammers so far before they've had a chance to cause any actual harm: we're hoping that some new security features we're adding to all new accounts, plus making a public statement, will help deter spammers from targeting our members.