The 343Industries Community Forum Forge Project

The 343Industries Community Forum Forge Project

Have you ever gotten into a game of matchmaking or a custom game and go, “I would have done this map/gametype differently?” Have you ever wished for more maps in any of the Halo games? Have you tried making maps that just don’t quite work? Have you made a map but have never been able to test it? Have you ever looked for some tips on how to forge a gametype, a certain size map, or just learn to forge in general?

If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, do not dismay; you have come to the right place. I am pleased to introduce the Community Forge Project (CFP), an ongoing project dedicated to making maps, by and for the community.

Over the next couple of months, many members will have time off from school and other commitments and will want to play in many playdates and show-off their maps. This is the perfect time to build a large playlist of community made maps, which can be used in playdates regularly. With the forums as a base point for collaboration, the community can design multiple maps for various gametypes and share ideas on the general map themes, flow, and expected play styles it will adhere to.

For instance: The community can get together and share ideas for a competitive map. These ideas include general themes, location, and the focused gametypes. Using programs such as Google Sketch-Up, the forum can create the generic layout of the map. After collaboration of the generic design of the map, and discussion of possible problems and ways to deal with them, members can get together to forge the map. After the base of the map is constructed and tweaked to fit, testing by the community will commence. And, as I like to say, “test the problems out of it.” The point of the tests is to pinpoint problems and correct them. After a map is deemed complete, it will be officially added into the CFP Mappack. By the end of this summer, there should be a considerable amount of maps in almost every category of gametypes, and the maps can be showcased in playdates or released at playdates throughout the summer.

With many design programs being free and easy info sharing, it would be easy for members could partake in various projects at once. This is a fairly new addition to any Halo forum, and aims to attract and find many aspiring forgers. In addition, Forge mentoring would be very easy, and like any project using multiple forgers, maps are shared and people learn their forging strengths, weaknesses, and get decent tips. I hope you will consider joining the community’s forge project over the next couple of months.

The Community Forge Project will begin towards the end of May, allowing for members to finish strong on finals and prepare some ideas.

I will be happy to answer any questions here.

Official CFP gamertag:  CFP343i

Links to the Official Community Forge Project threads and projects underway:

"Space Station"

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/28872-cfp-space-station-discussion/

Idea Discussion:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/28761-community-forge-project-idea-discussion/

Edited by Sikslik7
  • Like 7

So, if I had maps I wanted to show, would I be able to recirve feedback and tips on things?

I would say that as time progresses, members will bring in their own maps for testing and help. This is highly supported, but forging as a community is the main purpose of the project.

"Using google sketchup"

Nah.

Hate that thing.

I prefer Rhino. Sketchup was the bane of enjoying design technology for me.

"such as Google Sketch-Up," most people know what Google Sketch-Up is, so I used it as an example. Other programs are fine.

I've never used it. It's the year below me in school that has started doing it, my GCSE consists of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint -_-

What about sketching and uploading? That seems easier.

Never realized you guys didn't have a regular forum to review maps.  I always assumed it was there since the "Meet Your Maker" contest.  Best wishes on the new endeavor! 

Thanks! The forum does have 3 submission forums for verious groups (THFE, Ducain23, the forum itself), and forums to have customs and testing, but the purpose of the project is to create maps together, instead of one or two people creating a map.

I've never used it. It's the year below me in school that has started doing it, my GCSE consists of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint -_-

What about sketching and uploading? That seems easier.

The only problems with sketching out a map on paper is people not being easily able to visualize or make changes. With 3D modeling programs, members can share, download, and make changes to basic map designs. Also, with the ability to download the actual forge pieces into certain programs, many problems can be avoided or prevented in the planning steps. It is really all up to personal preference, but it helps if everyone can have equal access to map designs and the ability to understand them.

• Like 1

I'll try to join this but up to this point all my maps are lame except for a few exceptions.......

Remember Minotaur's maze?

Remember, this isn't about being the good, the bad,or the ugly, it's about getting together, sharing ideas, learning, playing halo, and having a good time with the community.

Edited by Sikslik7

Ok then I'm in

That's great to hear, or well, read I guess.

So are we just sharing ideas and testing maps or are we going into the forge together and making a map compiled by the forum(those who participate) and making one big map?

We are doing all of the above, but multiple maps, across different gametypes and styles of forging.

• 2 weeks later...

I am announcing plans for a "forge night" where people can share info on projects and try to forge them. I am looking for a good night for everyone, around 8:00 est start. Would Friday nights work? I plan to start this the week of June 9th.

Sometimes during the planning stages we need to find elements that we like from other maps and share them, so we are all on the same page while creating maps. Being able to see other peoples ideas and explore similar maps can help us generate a cohesive map. 

Other times, we just need to get into forge and together put some dedicated time in to forge the maps. Having a set time each week to forge will allow us to put together maps on a regular basis. 

Additionally, we will need good times to test out our maps, and be able to quickly go in and fix some problems right away, while they are still fresh in your heads.

• 3 weeks later...

How do I join in on the forging thats all I want to know.

Typically we'll schedule a time a couple days in advance and forge once we have a map design down. We should be pretty close on one map pretty soon. Sometimes we just get together randomly. I suggest you send a friend request to one of the forum's gamertags, found here: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/5339-343industriesorg-gamertag/

Otherwise join a map discussion linked above or throw some ideas into our idea discussion thread! We are always happy to find another forger!