The Ethics of spawn killing

Ivesy

What are peoples thoughts on spawn killing?

Is it an acceptable way of getting an easy kill? or just out of order?

I personally try to avoid it if for instance someone appears then moves off in the opposite direction but will attack if they move towards me.

Ethics? In Halo? ROFLMAO! If I cared so much about not getting the easy kill, I wouldn't, nor would anyone be using guns like the DMR or Battle Rifle. Oh, and I sure as hell wouldn't call down any ordinance drops as that would give me an unfair advantage. Wouldn't want that.

LOL. Dirtiest player wins.

True enough but i have read some tactical stuff that basically says learn the spawn points and spam them with grenades etc which is a little different from getting someone with an ordinance weapon (although i do agree to a point about them). 

Ethics was always a tongue in cheek way of putting it though.

I think the game should have spawn protection (It's right there in custom settings, respawn traits, 2 seconds, 2000% damage resistance), beyond that I think it's silly to expect players to behave any differently than what comes natural to them. It's like the people who buy a python and then are surprised and hurt when it tries to kill them one day.

Players will do what players want to do, expecting or demanding anything different is just stupid. It's ESPECIALLY stupid when you consider the alternative: What are you going to do that ISN'T Spawn killing? Let them kill you? Back off and relinquish map control? It's a question with one obvious answer and a million stupid ones. Anyone who has ever spent some time killing people off spawn knows the situation is usually one of two: 1. It's you or them, or 2. It's fast and reflexive, and while you may feel bad afterward, you fired first and thought about later because that's what it takes to be good.

There was never a choice, it was never about that, so either compensate for player instincts with things like spawn protection (Making you incredibly difficult to kill in the time it takes you to get your bearings) or just accept that not every kill feels fair or skillful in a game like this.

BTW Bungie introduced spawn protection back in Halo 3 when they first made the SWAT playlist, players complained about it until it was taken out. Originally in the Halo 3 SWAT playlist you'd shoot a freshly respawned dude in the face and he'd survive, occasionally resulting in your death. People didn't think that was fair (I think it's fine, but the community is much harder to wrangle than the developer).

In another game, Battlefield 3, you have something like 200-400% damage resistance for about a second and a half when you spawn as long as you don't move. 9 times out of 10 if someone is right there you still go down before you can think, and Battlefield 3 is a game that does a great deal to address spawn killing (Teams spawn in soft kill zones that affect only the other team, so you can't get up in their base and spawn rape them). Teams STILL shove each other back against the spawns and lock them down.

You can't stop players from being players, you can make it harder to play cheap (Like Battelfield 3 does) but never expect a perfect solution.