Cortana or no Cortana

superintendent

I have a feeling we wont se her reappear.. as well... 1 shes frragmented and as dead as it gets we all know that.. BUT my main point is... well

Upcoming!!

As the Librarian has "Upgraded" Chief by waking dormant DNA, chief also got telepathic as we can later on hear the didact speaking inside his head while Cortana cannot.

Stating that chief probably wont need her later on as he is in fact in posession of some sort of telepathic powers.. and will maybe even be able to foresee what he is supposed to do in Halo 5 - 6 without Cortana's guidance.. she is no longer needed.. well kindoff.. as there still is the emotional factor to deal with.. but something tells me that with telepathy.. chief maybe could be able to talk to her even in death.. i dunno.. im just trying all options.. wadda you think? 

Cortana or no Cortana for halo 5. in my opinion if we brought Cortana back it would ruin the story that halo 4 created making it completely irreverent for halo 5. whats your opinion?  

I think that Chief is now a UNSC outlaw. I think he's on the run from them to find Halsey. Maybe he will team up with the Covenant again and they'll both end up making another truce in the end.

spartan ops isnt acctually continuing on the story of halo 4 its just a little bonus game with halo 4 it didnt acctually happen

OK. As ridiculous as you have made yourself out to be, let us be clear on this matter: Spartan Ops is a canonical multiplayer story line, meaning it does ACTUALLY happen, and does contribute to the story. Keep this in mind.

I have a feeling we wont se her reappear.. as well... 1 shes frragmented and as dead as it gets we all know that.. BUT my main point is... well

Upcoming!!

As the Librarian has "Upgraded" Chief by waking dormant DNA, chief also got telepathic as we can later on hear the didact speaking inside his head while Cortana cannot.

Stating that chief probably wont need her later on as he is in fact in posession of some sort of telepathic powers.. and will maybe even be able to foresee what he is supposed to do in Halo 5 - 6 without Cortana's guidance.. she is no longer needed.. well kindoff.. as there still is the emotional factor to deal with.. but something tells me that with telepathy.. chief maybe could be able to talk to her even in death.. i dunno.. im just trying all options.. wadda you think? 

As for this, MC was given access to the Domain by the Librarian. As there are a host of other theories behind what she did to MC, the best one by far was that he was given the ability to access the Domain which is how he hears the Didact's voice.

OK. As ridiculous as you have made yourself out to be, let us be clear on this matter: Spartan Ops is a canonical multiplayer story line, meaning it does ACTUALLY happen, and does contribute to the story. Keep this in mind.

As for this, MC was given access to the Domain by the Librarian. As there are a host of other theories behind what she did to MC, the best one by far was that he was given the ability to access the Domain which is how he hears the Didact's voice.

AsquithMike, I agree with everything you've said in this thread so far, except for this.

The Domain was thought to be a purely Forerunner-created realm to access ancestors, history, pathways for the Forerunners. As it turns out, the Domain is acutally the Organon, which was created by the Precursors. Once the first Halo fired, it completely severred all ties to the Domain/Organon.

The Librarian unlocked MC's geas, which makes him immune to the Composer. A geas is a genetic imprint that the Librarian leaves on every being in the galaxy before distributing them. Humans are her favorite creature, which is why she is "against" the Ur-Didact.

The reason he's the only one who can hear the Didact is either because:

1. The Didact has telepathic powers and was speaking to only the Chief himself.

2. Cortana is going through Rampancy and ascending to Metastability, making her much more human and physical, disabling her from hearing his voice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AsquithMike, I agree with everything you've said in this thread so far, except for this.

The Domain was thought to be a purely Forerunner-created realm to access ancestors, history, pathways for the Forerunners. As it turns out, the Domain is acutally the Organon, which was created by the Precursors. Once the first Halo fired, it completely severred all ties to the Domain/Organon.

The Librarian unlocked MC's geas, which makes him immune to the Composer. A geas is a genetic imprint that the Librarian leaves on every being in the galaxy before distributing them. Humans are her favorite creature, which is why she is "against" the Ur-Didact.

The reason he's the only one who can hear the Didact is either because:

1. The Didact has telepathic powers and was speaking to only the Chief himself.

2. Cortana is going through Rampancy and ascending to Metastability, making her much more human and physical, disabling her from hearing his voice.

Depends on which theory you wish to believe.

-- Geas were removed by the forerunners when they brought the humans back to Earth (the special voice reading of the epilogue of Silentium references this).

-- Domain was never mentioned to have been destroyed. It was theorized that the Halos would eradicate it. The place the Librarian met MC in was thought to be an area of the domain (in their mind) as well as when she met Dr. Halsey (Spartan Ops). 

So. Say what you will. I believe in a very different version of Halo than most. All will be revealed when the next few installments come out (Halo 5 and 6). Then we will see exactly which direction 343 decided to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I was a bit late on the Halo 4 train, but better late than never. Anyway after completing the game I feel compelled to give a few thoughts, just personal opinion on Cortana:

- I respect the view that some people don't want Cortana's return (and by that I mean like the old days, not just flashbacks or references). But I don't see her return in future Halo games as 'ruining the game'. Ever since Halo: Combat Evolved it has always been about Chief and Cortana. Yes we have a lot of other characters too, but the hero that saved the day was Master Chief. And Cortana saved him more than I could count  lol (the dialogues in Halo 4 proved this).  I think 343 Industries did a fantastic job to 'elaborate' on her 'feelings' for Chief, which Bungies left openly implied in the original trilogy.

- Totally agree with LANK3Y's post above. We have all the 'nice coincidence' settings for Chief to set on his course seeking both Halsey and Cortana. Just a wild guess but Dr. Halsey is extremely intelligent albeit shrewd and manipulative woman to me, so I don't see why she can't 'recover' Cortana or has a 'backup copy' of her hidden somewhere.

- Probably deja vu but I see a lot of similarity between 343's Halo plots and Bioware's Mass Effect 3 now :)), especially with all dramas surrounding the Didact and his Composer (Synthesis anyone? :D). Oh I so want to see Cortana's 'resurrection' as a sexy combat android :D

i agree we really have to bring cortana back into this shes still out there just weak master chief can easily get here back to somebody to fix uh duh if you dont agree then this will happen  :popo:

spartan ops isnt acctually continuing on the story of halo 4 its just a little bonus game with halo 4 it didnt acctually happen

i hate u so much!!!!!!!!!!

yes yes obiously what would ruin the game if cortana came back bring her back 343

Yes, Cortana could totally survive the destruction of her data chip, and then the disintegration of the systems she was installed in through nuclear fission. Makes perfect sense. 

Have you even paid attention to the Spartan Ops episodes? Even the first episode says clearly "New Phoenix incident + six months". 

Thanks. Really appreciate the compliment.

No, it wouldn't. Cortana was not in ODST at all and only had a very brief cameo in Reach. Are those games "ruined" because of it? 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Cortana could totally survive the destruction of her data chip, and then the disintegration of the systems she was installed in through nuclear fission. Makes perfect sense. 

Have you even paid attention to the Spartan Ops episodes? Even the first episode says clearly "New Phoenix incident + six months". 

Thanks. Really appreciate the compliment.

No, it wouldn't. Cortana was not in ODST at all and only had a very brief cameo in Reach. Are those games "ruined" because of it? 

You forget those sub-games did not include the Master Chief in any way either. They were made purely as filler games, to tie up fan related plot interests (Reach more so than ODST).

If the game included MC, it would have to have Cortana in it. Whether she be involved directly in game play or whether she was just involved in the story. 

End of Discussion. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MAYBE, just a theory, Maybe If Cortana return in Halo 5, maybe the story would be about Master Chief Trying To Bring Cortana Back, It will be ALL ABOUT CORTANA. Master Chief was broken and depressed in Halo 4 ending, and in the Teaser, Johnson's voice were heard saying, "don't ever let her go".

And Master Chief always keeps his promise.

If there is no return from Cortana in Halo 5, The Reclaimer Saga will be about Master Chief with a new attitude or personality.

But, Cortana is very helpfull in any mission, especially in problem solving and gives waypoint for Master Chief. How will Master Chief accomplish his mission in Halo 5? Will Luck Stays with Him Again And Prevail?

We'll just have to wait for the release of Halo 5 and solved this problem. damn it damn it damn it(going to crash and crazy)

• 1 month later...

There are several possibilities to bring Cortana back but I am wondering, in Halo (Forward unto Dawn) in the beginning her code is glitching and latching onto John/ Chief's body in the cryo tube and she touches John at the end (Halo 4) are these ways that she's possibly already left a sort of "key" to bringing her back within John/Chief himself?
Even the librarian (even though it wasn't all her just a part of her that was left) when she said that she had to advance him (his genetics and so forth)  mentioned that he had to "unlock" his gifts. That could be a hint that he may have the ability to bring Cortana back himself or that at the end Cortana when she said that most of her was "down there" could have a possible link to bringing her back since we know that the Didact didn't die at the end of 4 and since Cortana was latched to him at the end could be a possibility.

However I know 343 said in an interview they wanted John/Chief to really go through the Heroes delemma process of how they (heroes) don't always succeed that sometimes they do fail and that he needed something to really shock him to his core and really get him to finally realize his own humanity that Cortana was trying to show him for so long, but I can't imagine the game without her anymore.

So personally I'm hoping they find a way for John/ Chief to bring her back but then that may not be part of the story, although you have to wonder if he will find a way to keep his promise to her in some fashion since he most likely feels as if he failed her. We already know that he sacrificed himself and her (at the end of 4) knowing they wouldn't make it out, but as he said "they were supposed to go together" and he wanted it to be that way. Instead Cortana sacrifices herself to save him. 

Obviously we will get to see how that really affects Chief in 5 but since Cortana has been so vital it could really go both ways - either we will never see her or we will get to see her revived at the end or he reunites with her in some form or fashion or he comes to terms with losing her and finds a way to move on.

Since 343 has already said that Chief has gone rogue we can assume that there is some sort of break down that happens with him that we (the players) will get to see.

(If you want to go by the trailer, as i've said in a previous post getting to see the forerunner sphinx rising out of the ground is a sort of way of stating that whatever its implying to - information, history, the past, truth, cortana, the truth about john/ chief or all of the above - it won't stay buried for long.)

I disagree entirely. If 343 Industries does not bring Cortana back in the next Halo game, I think a large number of Halo fans will lose respect for the franchise, because Cortana has been a major part of the Halo series since Combat Evolved back in 2001, and now, almost fourteen years later, in Halo 4. Cortana, for me, isn't simply a character. She's a part of what the game means. Her random pieces of what seems like completely useless information, that later saves all our asses. Also, she's been in almost every, if not every Halo game ever made. Taking her away now could be either the best decision that 343 Industries has ever made. As you said, bringing her back could ruin the story, if not confuse many of the Gamers that play Halo. But, not bringing her back is also a dangerous move. 343 Industries will have to create a lot more content in-game to make up for the loss of Cortana, and if you were to ask me, I'd say that some new, high-tech UNSC weapons that resemble Covanant weapons, more vehicles, and two seperate campaigns would be a fair trade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like a new A.I. An A.I that's sarcastic at times, can be serious but also has a little humor. It would be refreshing, aand I think it would be cool to play as an A.I for a little bit for a mission, it would be a new experience. Also on a side note I'd also like to be able to play as someone other than chief in the campaign, I'd like to play in different situations with new characters.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are a million different theories to bring her back but I've yet to see the most obvious one.

IF Cortana is with the Didact (thats assuming since she was restraining him at the end of 4 when John set off the grenade on the Didacts chest and there's no way of knowing really where she ended up) and IF Halsey is with the Prometheans (which we see in Spartan OPS) the two are going to cross paths at some point. Going with the assumption that there's a possibility that Cortana is with the Didact it would leave an oppertunity for Halsey to retrieve Cortana from the Didact and return her to John somehow, which I believe she would do despite the revenge Halsey wants to get against the UNSC for ordering her assassination. I don't believe her feelings for John have changed and I personally feel that she would want them reunited again. That's assuming that senario is possible.

However we have also seen Franks interviews that he wanted John to go through that process of forcing him to realize his own humanity and the best way of doing that was for John to lose Cortana. For me personally I feel that John could go through that journey into realizing his humanity and still be reunited with her at some point without it ruining the story or the purpose for losing her in the first place.

Then again there are millions of other ways it could possibly happen but I still feel there is a way to please both the supporters for Cortana being "lost" and Cortana being brought back without sacrificing the story which again personally I am glad they are finally delving deeper into since my draw to the game is the background history, the personal relationships and interactions and the journey those characters take together and how it affects them. Losing that story would kill it for me now that they have finally started opening the door for that depth since I prefer the emotional connection to the story.

• Like 1