Cortana or no Cortana

superintendent

While I have no doubts she will be referenced and shown, I think 343 is trying to move away from Master Chief and Cortana, onto a new group of Protagonists. the main thing people need to realize, is Halo isn't specifically about Chief, there's a whole world of content they can draw from, including the other thousands of troops in the UNSC.

• Like 6

343i Still has 2 more games for Master Chief, what's he going to do for the 6th halo? commit suicide? From what I understand Chief can't bear being away from Cortana, it's like ripping a child from a mothers hands. And plus we already heard that Halo 5 will be about Master Chief searching for Cortana which still makes Halo 4's story relevant. There's multiple paths Halo 5 can take without making Halo 4's irrelevant. Why would you say that bringing Cortana back would make it that? Halo 4 was building a story about Cortana's rampancy, she didn't exactly "die" There's still a story to be told about her

• Like 1

i should have explained more. technically She was eradicated along with the forerunner ship the Didactic used. for sure they will reference her in future halo games. if they brought her back completely it would ruin the halo games for me, kind of like trying to resurrect someone from the dead. It doesn't work.

• Like 1

While I have no doubts she will be referenced and shown, I think 343 is trying to move away from Master Chief and Cortana, onto a new group of Protagonists. the main thing people need to realize, is Halo isn't specifically about Chief, there's a whole world of content they can draw from, including the other thousands of troops in the UNSC.

Yes you right I would like to play other halo games with other halo characters like with ODST and reach but Chief is THE MAIN character it would be like taking mario out of ALL of the mario games even if chief isnt in all of the games he needs to stay in the game and if they do replace him they need to leave him alive BUT replace him with some like noble 6 or just noble 6 ( anything can happen in a slit second he could still be out there ) an as for cortana with the way halo 4 ended i can see her coming back but coming back as kind of a ghost 

you need to remember that cortana was a copy of Dr. Halsey, but in the form of an AI. Master chief will probably be searching for way to get Cortana back, and he knows that Halsey is the only person who may be able to do that for him. In the end of spartan ops, it is seen that Halsey has choosen a new side in the fight, as she claims that she wants to seek revenge on the UNSC. Master chief knows nothing of this, so he will be searching for Halsey who is now alligned with the storm. I think that the emotional connection that Halsey has with John will trouble her greatly in her future decision making. Eventually, i think Chief will convince her to turn on Jul Mdama and that her work is truely valued by at least a few people out there

• Like 1

you need to remember that cortana was a copy of Dr. Halsey, but in the form of an AI. Master chief will probably be searching for way to get Cortana back, and he knows that Halsey is the only person who may be able to do that for him. In the end of spartan ops, it is seen that Halsey has choosen a new side in the fight, as she claims that she wants to seek revenge on the UNSC. Master chief knows nothing of this, so he will be searching for Halsey who is now alligned with the storm. I think that the emotional connection that Halsey has with John will trouble her greatly in her future decision making. Eventually, i think Chief will convince her to turn on Jul Mdama and that her work is truely valued by at least a few people out there

especially her favorite 'son'(she refers to the spartan 2's as her children) .  and i think she is smart enough to trick Jul into  getting what she wants. then when she does that she will kill him and hitch a ride with the Cheif to get another copy of Cortana made. The Cortana will be different but it will settle John somewhat.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!¡!¡!¡!¡!!!!! (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED SPARTAN OPS) but then she will die because of her missing an arm. and set cheif into a deeper depression.and then Didact will reapear.

Guest Frogger24

I dont know it would upset people who will come on and rage about it "not being Halo anymore"..... lmao

In all seriousness I doubt they killed her off. While I dont think she will be heavily involved in Halo 5 I do think she will be involved some how. Personally I am putting my money on her being transported to a Forerunner installation after being composed and turned into a flesh and blood being. The first and only success the Composer has ever had at doing such a thing.

In any case I am not too worried about it. I am not one to get my panties in a bunch over a game release (unless it was titled Mass Effect or Bioshock) so what comes, comes. Besides its the players themselves who over hype the game and then cry about it not living up to the "hype" so I see no sense in joining that band wagon.

especially her favorite 'son'(she refers to the spartan 2's as her children) .  and i think she is smart enough to trick Jul into  getting what she wants. then when she does that she will kill him and hitch a ride with the Cheif to get another copy of Cortana made. The Cortana will be different but it will settle John somewhat.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!¡!¡!¡!¡!!!!! (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED SPARTAN OPS) but then she will die because of her missing an arm. and set cheif into a deeper depression.and then Didact will reapear.

How exactly will she die because of her missing arm? They would have treated the wound and even the UNSC has cybernetics to replace limbs (to a limited degree). I fail to understand where you get this idea from. Is she just going to fall over and die, die of an infection... what exactly?

infection, or other way that a person would with out proper treatment anyone will die if not by infection then blood loss maybe. I don't know it was just an idea. and remember she joined the storm, so why would the UNSC help her? all im trying to say is that we need to have a character that has a strong emotional bond to John like the way that cortana was.(but halsey is chiefs mother figure and cortana  could have kept him going as a mother until he sees Halsey again.)

I believe Cortana will turn out to be the main character/focus of the next 2 installments by 343. There are many reasons as to why, but to support others who have posted on this thread, the MC has a strong connection with her, and to remove her from the main story line would kind of ruin the Halo experience for many. Too me, the spin off games like Reach and ODST were missing something. And that something was Cortana and her insight in the story. You feel more... alone without her there, which I think may be something the developers of Halo 5 will play on, making the game feel darker, and making the player feel more alone. 

Although I have my own theories behind why I believe Cortana will be in future games and media. The simple fact that the Didact took an interest in her aboard his ship alone tells me she will become an important figure in future games.

But I will agree with the majority on this one and say that she is going to come back in future games.

• Like 1

Seriously, I will be OUTRAGED if Cortana returns becasuse not only is it near-unfeasible (her personality was fragmented and then the fragments were destroyed along with the Mantle's Approach), it will be a giant middle finger to the sacrifice she made...I think her giving her life at the end of Halo 4 was one of the best outcomes they could have had.

Would it have been better if hse had lived? I say yes, but having her die would be much better than having her appear to give her life and then return, rendering her sacrifice completely and utterly meaningless.

I don't want Cortana to return. Cortana's mortality was half of the story of Halo 4 (the other being the Didact). I'm fine with flashbacks and maybe Walking Dead-style hallucinations, but if she actually survived, it'd ruin the impact her death had. I could see her returning in Halo 6, because then the characters and the player would've already accepted the fact that she's dead. Then her return would be an actual relief instead of just a "I knew ya were goin' nowhere". But still it'd be better for her to stay dead.

A little off topic, I do want the Didact back immediately though; he's a fairly new character and he didn't get a lot of exploration in Halo 4. Hopefully he'll come back more dangerous like the Flood did in Halo 2.

Cortana will return. That is inevitable. It won't ruin the story, I don't see how it could. 

There will be differences upon her return:

--she will not return and be part of the player's experience - she will no longer be MC in HUD AI

--It is not yet clear whether or not MC accepts a new AI companion in Halo 5 - he may go solo

--she is an integral part of the Halo series, and will most certainly return in future media - Halo 5 and 6

Whereas I agree that she will no longer be the "voice in you head", I am fairly certain she will return in Trilogy, primarily for story purposes as it was hinted that she plays a very important role in the Forerunner story line.

How she returns, why, and the role she plays in future games, remains a mystery. I have theories on why she comes back, others have theories on why she comes back. 

How and why her returning ruins the story for you is beyond me. Why does it matter that her returning bothers you?

--she is an AI, which is capable of being replicated/copied

--she replicated herself many times on the Mantle's Approach

--while the Mantle's Approach was destroyed, that does not mean she has not replicated herself before

--Dr. Halsey also has copies of Cortana - previously mentioned in Halo media - and is capable of flash cloning her brain again

--Has been with the MC since Halo CE

So, chances of her returning in future games, 99.99%. 

Chances of her ruining the story for millions of fans, 0.01%

So based on those percentages - and a round figure of 15 million fans worldwide, only 150,000 people will be butt hurt by the fact she returns. 

Those stats are something I think most people can live with. 

Now, something to think about:

--Staph hatin' on m' gurrlll 'superintendent' -- Regards, MC

• Like 1

Cortana definitely gives contrast to the somewhat stoic personality,fairly common to lone warrior types. She has been a very important character in MasterChief's life. Maybe somehow the parts of Cortana that may have been trapped or left will be reintegrated via the new Cortana AI that will possibly be partnered with John 117. Maybe Dr.Halsey will put a sub routine in the new Cortana to gather parts of Cortana. From what I have gathered,Dr.Halsey observed that Cortana is unusual in such a way that she thinks she may go beyond the 7 year lifespan of AI's. Dr. Halsey May even be instrumental to possible evolution of Cortana further into another lifeform having the knowledge & abilities of the Cortana we know & love plus possibly having a new body. The Didact was able to detect that Cortana was an evolved ancilla.Her return should not be so sudden or too early in the story but I hope the circumstances that 343 Industries will be able to device for the beloved Cortana's return would be earthshaking.I also hope that out of shear desperation to save an important part of his Life, Masterchief will somehow go out of his way to Rescue/recover Cortana,He made a promise to her remember? Will 343 let Masterchief break his promise?

• Like 1

Cortana definitely gives contrast to the somewhat stoic personality,fairly common to lone warrior types. She has been a very important character in MasterChief's life. Maybe somehow the parts of Cortana that may have been trapped or left will be reintegrated via the new Cortana AI that will possibly be partnered with John 117. Maybe Dr.Halsey will put a sub routine in the new Cortana to gather parts of Cortana. From what I have gathered,Dr.Halsey observed that Cortana is unusual in such a way that she thinks she may go beyond the 7 year lifespan of AI's. Dr. Halsey May even be instrumental to possible evolution of Cortana further into another lifeform having the knowledge & abilities of the Cortana we know & love plus possibly having a new body. The Didact was able to detect that Cortana was an evolved ancilla.Her return should not be so sudden or too early in the story but I hope the circumstances that 343 Industries will be able to device for the beloved Cortana's return would be earthshaking.I also hope that out of shear desperation to save an important part of his Life, Masterchief will somehow go out of his way to Rescue/recover Cortana,He made a promise to her remember? Will 343 let Masterchief break his promise?

Absolutely. Cortana is coming back. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As much as i love Cortana every hero or in this case heroine has their end some good some bad. Losing Cortana made me feel more in touch with the game. It also made me want to kick didacts ass. I'm sure what they were thinking in cortanas death was to give us a drive to continue the halo story sorta like how you got that drive to kill everyone after Jenny's death in The Darkness. If you played it you'd understand how much you would go through to avenge a game character lol

• Like 1

You guys are all missing the obvious! Isn't it just a bit of a coincidence that in the main story line of halo 4, the Didact has the composer, that can turn living organisms into data (or A.I effectively), and that in the same main story line the main A.I. character (Cortana) dies AND that Dr. Halsey conveniently re-appears?

In my eyes this can only mean one thing: after her betrayal of the UNSC Dr Halsey will be seen as an enemy, Chief will however want to help her and so sets of to find her but instead of handing her over to High Command, he rescues her from dying in jail or being executed by composing her into an effectively brand new Cortana. He then returns to high command, tells them he killed Dr. Halsey (as he could have been ordered to) and also  tells them that Halsey had a secret fragment of the Cortana A.I. which he confiscated and has since been using.

This would tie up many loose ends such as: The composer, Cortana's death/resurrection (sort of), Halsey's betrayal, and the keys which the librarian gave Halsey could now be electronically stored in Cortana/New A.I. Halsey. This final point could possibly set up the next halo trilogy where Chief and "Cortana" could go out into the galaxy to search forerunner worlds and or halos!

(Well at least, that's the theory) :) 

REALLY? Thats been the main focus for halo. Its about Master Chief, and thats a lot the the reason that people only play the game anymore. People what to know more of his story and see where it has to go. 

This new  CoD multi player loadouts is stupid as hell. If i wanted to play a game that lets me pick my guns for multiplayer i would go ahead and play CoD. People LOVE the old Halo multiplayer not this stupid Infinity Ward input that takes away from the true halo gameplay of fighting for those better guns or getting a set loadout for every player..... Sorry 343 but go back and stop trying to fix things that do NOT need fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Cortana will return, no matter what anybody thinks about it.

She was too involved with the inter-workings of both the story of Halo and the main protagonist (Master Chief). 

She will come back, somehow, over the next two games. Her involvement may not be as much as it used to be, but she will still be in the story in one form or another.

343i Still has 2 more games for Master Chief, what's he going to do for the 6th halo? commit suicide? From what I understand Chief can't bear being away from Cortana, it's like ripping a child from a mothers hands. And plus we already heard that Halo 5 will be about Master Chief searching for Cortana which still makes Halo 4's story relevant. There's multiple paths Halo 5 can take without making Halo 4's irrelevant. Why would you say that bringing Cortana back would make it that? Halo 4 was building a story about Cortana's rampancy, she didn't exactly "die" There's still a story to be told about her 

i agree we really have to bring cortana back into this shes still out there just weak master chief can easily get here back to somebody to fix uh duh if you dont agree then this will happen  :popo:

spartan ops isnt acctually continuing on the story of halo 4 its just a little bonus game with halo 4 it didnt acctually happen

Seriously, I will be OUTRAGED if Cortana returns becasuse not only is it near-unfeasible (her personality was fragmented and then the fragments were destroyed along with the Mantle's Approach), it will be a giant middle finger to the sacrifice she made...I think her giving her life at the end of Halo 4 was one of the best outcomes they could have had.

Would it have been better if hse had lived? I say yes, but having her die would be much better than having her appear to give her life and then return, rendering her sacrifice completely and utterly meaningless.

i hate u so much!!!!!!!!!!

Cortana will return. That is inevitable. It won't ruin the story, I don't see how it could. 

There will be differences upon her return:

--she will not return and be part of the player's experience - she will no longer be MC in HUD AI

--It is not yet clear whether or not MC accepts a new AI companion in Halo 5 - he may go solo

--she is an integral part of the Halo series, and will most certainly return in future media - Halo 5 and 6

Whereas I agree that she will no longer be the "voice in you head", I am fairly certain she will return in Trilogy, primarily for story purposes as it was hinted that she plays a very important role in the Forerunner story line.

How she returns, why, and the role she plays in future games, remains a mystery. I have theories on why she comes back, others have theories on why she comes back. 

How and why her returning ruins the story for you is beyond me. Why does it matter that her returning bothers you?

--she is an AI, which is capable of being replicated/copied

--she replicated herself many times on the Mantle's Approach

--while the Mantle's Approach was destroyed, that does not mean she has not replicated herself before

--Dr. Halsey also has copies of Cortana - previously mentioned in Halo media - and is capable of flash cloning her brain again

--Has been with the MC since Halo CE

So, chances of her returning in future games, 99.99%. 

Chances of her ruining the story for millions of fans, 0.01%

So based on those percentages - and a round figure of 15 million fans worldwide, only 150,000 people will be butt hurt by the fact she returns. 

Those stats are something I think most people can live with. 

Now, something to think about:

--Staph hatin' on m' gurrlll 'superintendent' -- Regards

yes yes obiously what would ruin the game if cortana came back bring her back 343