Anchorage

A R C A S I U S

ugcuserfile-e98a9e21-c831-48e0-913f-254e

-There was a time when this once grand harbor flourished with life. But now subjected to the wrath of the Promethean's, it has no purpose other than to serve as a battleground for various races as it's streets are riddled with countless munitions-

Download: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/873c8749-ab66-4a9a-a5ef-214c9a2237ab

​This map started off as an asymmetrical aesthetic wonder by the name of 'Hell Harbor'. However due to meticulous scrutinizing and many play tests, it has now evolved into it's final form, Anchorage. With a large round Arch-sail which serves as the centerpiece for the map, Anchorage has become a symmetrical masterpiece with a mixture of long and short lines of sight, great height variation, and original rounded aesthetics. Tactical Jumps have also been included in order to add an extra dynamic to game play for those who pride themselves on being able to escape a dangerous situation very swiftly, or to sneak up on an enemy unnoticed and dispatch them.

ugcuserfile-e98a9e21-c831-48e0-913f-254e

Initial weapon ordnance drops include the Sniper Rifle and Rocket launcher however these do not respawn and are placed in the lowest regions of the map. Initial concepts of the map saw it become very sniper driven with many long lines of sight and small height variations. However it has evolved immensely since then and although the sniper still has its place, it has been balanced so that it is no longer the main go-to power weapon after the initial strikes. This was done to balance the map and to cater to all gamer's of different play-styles.
In order to persuade spartan's to venture down into the misty shadows of the harbor's streets, cover at middle and top levels has been minimized however there is still enough to frustrate even the best of snipers. 

Untitled_zps350c85ed.jpg

Supported Gametypes
  • ​Infinity Slayer (Recommended)
  • 2 Flag-CTF (Recommended)
  • King of the Hill
  • Oddball
  • Flood (Recommended)
  • All FFA variants (Recommended)
  • Regicide
  • SWAT
  •  

Recommended Party Size

• 4 - 12

So without further ado, enjoy Anchorage!

--

Screenshots

ugcuserfile-fe625ba3-9320-4406-adb6-df99

ugcuserfile-d626c9bd-aaec-4953-a675-be43

ugcuserfile-caeb5bba-bef8-4926-b57a-5747

ugcuserfile-c0b4b121-abc9-4de3-bfbd-7f38

ugcuserfile-5316a3e0-caba-4e8e-9fe9-6470

ugcuserfile-827c7053-9b8d-4219-9b74-f799

ugcuserfile-0726c895-88e4-4076-9027-540d

ugcuserfile-47d862c5-510e-4cd7-94fd-b453

ugcuserfile-41b2efa4-c9fa-49ce-92f9-e8fd

ugcuserfile-0b43665e-e096-460f-99ab-63fc

• Like 1

I really like how you used inclines to your advantage. Forgers usually stay away from inclines, but you did  good job at spreading them around the map and making some creative structures. The only thing I do not like from the images is the bridge sections located at both ends of the center of the map. They feel out of place and probably won't be used as much during the gameplay. Removing them or replacing with something that feels more natural would improve the central structure of the map.

Guest Psychoduck

I'm really not a fan of the boom cannon/binary rifle random drop in the center and some of your spawn points could be oriented a bit better, but this looks quite good so far otherwise.  I'll get some games on it soon.

I aesthetic design of the map is really good. Kudos on that. Very original design, two Thumbs up on that. However the game play during infinity slayer left a lot to be desired.

- A lot of long open sight lines.

- Very little cover or quick escape routes from the bottom. (although very pretty)

- Quite a few spawn points were disorienting, mainly on the outer bridges, and the top

- Cleaning up the forging in the some the areas mostly the gaps between ramp XLs.

I aesthetic design of the map is really good. Kudos on that. Very original design, two Thumbs up on that. However the game play during infinity slayer left a lot to be desired.

- A lot of long open sight lines.

- Very little cover or quick escape routes from the bottom. (although very pretty)

- Quite a few spawn points were disorienting, mainly on the outer bridges, and the top

- Cleaning up the forging in the some the areas mostly the gaps between ramp XLs.

Hey man thanks for the feedback, but this map was designed to have long sight lines, this was to avoid people camping up top level the whole time and to venture down to mid or bottom.

-Bottom has a few tac jumps in order to get to the upper level, use the ramps next to the centre sail structure,

-the spawns face in clear open directions that follow clear paths and none of them face walls or so im not sure whats the deal with that, in all the games ive played on it and Ive played quite a few, I havnt received that feedback... 

- I have used only 4 ramp XL's on the map, I just checked over them all and they have no gaps or anything gamebreaking or altering about them. Are you refering to other pieces maybe? I painstakingly went through the entire map for hours making sure everything was lined up perfectly

In terms of the orientation with the exception of the red and blue much of the map is not brightly colored. so when you spawn on a side base or underneath (at least the players in my party) weren't quite sure which side we spawned on. If you did use colored objects in the neutral areas they maybe a little too subtle. 

In terms of the orientation with the exception of the red and blue much of the map is not brightly colored. so when you spawn on a side base or underneath (at least the players in my party) weren't quite sure which side we spawned on. If you did use colored objects in the neutral areas they maybe a little too subtle. 

Updated. White lights changed to red and blue respectively down below to assist with orientation. also most structures are colour coordinated. Download the latest version in the thread above ^

I played some CTF on here today. The spawning is far too opened. There are also neutral spawns that shouldn't be in the CTF gametype. Other than that, there is not so much cover on the map which makes the gameplay rather annoying. Once caught in crossfire, there is no way to escape. Also the bottom side if the map was very rarely used so I recommend adding passages that people would want to use to get there. 

Guest Psychoduck

Ok, I played this last night.  Overall, this is a great start.  You've got a mostly solid design and a cool look to your map.  However, there were some problems (no framerate issues this time though), but luckily they're nothing that would be too difficult to fix.  

Essentially, the main problems come from the bases and the high platforms attached to them.  First of all, these positions are very tall, this led to them being very powerful and hard to attack.  To solve this, your best option would be to lower the platforms and the bases down a good deal (1-2 forge units would be my estimate off the top of my head).  This will make these postions much more approachable and less dominating.  Of course adding a hard, direct route under these platforms and into the bases would be great, but ultimately unnecessary.  Experimenting with teleporters into the bases might be worthwhile though.

The second suggestion I have (this is in conjunction with the first, not an either/or type thing) is to block the line of sight across the map from the platforms mentioned above.  Essentially, this would require placing fins on either side of the central tower, blocking these platforms view of each other and segmenting the map better.  Right now, these platforms can control most of the map, this would only allow them to control their respective sides of the map, and in conjunction with the first suggestion would make them much more approachable and less dominating.   

These issues shouldn't be difficult to fix, although I would have expected this sort of thing to become apparent to you while testing the map yourself.  I am worried that not even time and thought was put into this map's testing phase.  This feedback essentially covers the points others had brought up in the thread in more detail.  Things like the lack of cover that R3con mentioned sprout from the map's current lack of segmentation.  Anyways. if you fix these issues, let me know and I will move forward with the map.