Halo: Militia (RP)

Gabe stepped into the barracks with an asp baton in one hand and an empty trash can in the other. He could see various levels of awareness; waking states, a few too perfectly still to be asleep, others genuinely trying to sleep in. That was about to be corrected. "Rise and shine!" he shouted as the baton started to strike the inside of the aluminum can, the result being a discombobulating echo that resounded down the line of cots.

Dwyer snapped to as quickly as possible, taking a risk by running a hand over his face. As he stood at attention, the room seemed to waver, like his body couldn't decide if it wanted to stand or go back to sleep. He guessed the other recruits probably felt the same. The drill sergeant would soon make the decision for them.

"Two minutes in the showers and then report to mess hall. A day isn't a good one without calories."

The mess hall staff glanced at Jones with near apathy, judging that by the looks of the man, he'd eat anything they had. "Eggs, greens, rice, and mashed potatoes. Knock yourself out."

Dwyer was in line behind the rather hulking recruit, tray in hand as he squinted at the assembly of food containers. He was still post-waking state, waiting for his eyes to reacquaint themselves with the light, natural and otherwise. Ever since his correctional surgury, the process seemed to take longer, and every time he saw his reflection in the sneeze-shield he noted that his irises showed more color than before. He hadn't been shot at yet and enlistment was already proving to be a life changing experience.

"I never thought I'd be hungry enough to not care that I'm being served meals from a military budget," he muttered, flopping a spoonfull of potatoes on his tray.

D.J. overheard the new arrival.

"Hey man, I ain't complainin'. Food's Food, no matter how you look at it. And free food? That's just icing on the cake, Dude."

D.J. looked at the massive pile of food on his tray.

"Man.... now I wish I had cake..."

"Cake is unhealthy comrade. Vegetables, protein, and dairy is what you need to support that huge body of yours. I need the same to support my bones. Being taller then most people requires a lot." Cavril said to D.J., seeming to have just appeared in the cafeteria.

"Come on. Sit down. Eat your breakfast at a normal pace. Shoveling it into your mouth will make the morning run worse. I hope you know that."

The Russian slowly ate his food, while still looking at D.J. Today would be quite the day.

Fresh from his two minutes of shower time, which consisted of getting wet and then getting out of the shower, Grec followed behind the others at a semi-lumbering pace, pausing momentarily at each fresh plot of food to quietly assess before tossing it on his tray. None of it really looked terribly good and it probably tasted worse than public school food, but as the gigantic gang-banger said, food was food. And then the even more gigantic Russian brought up how cake was unhealthy for an oversized dude like himself.

As much as Andrew just wanted to turn around and tell the dude to quit talking so loud, effectively bellowing over the shorter recruit's shoulder to give DJ his pro-tips, the comparatively tiny recruit decided the hell with it and went to find himself his own seat, a bit aways from the others.

Within a moment of sitting down he'd decided his order of battle, terrorizing his meal one side at a time and leaving the biscuit as the lone survivor. If in doubt, he could shove the biscuit into his mouth as he walked out the door and choke it down some point. And with that in mind, he went to work on whatever mystery meat was the prominent feature of his plate.

After stepping out of the freezing cold shower- unnaturally cold, even for a military campus- Jacob donned fatigues and made his way to the mess hall. Immediately realising he hadn't eaten for over 12 hours, he picked up anything he could without looking. He over heard his russian friend and a big guy talking, something about cake. Of course, cake wouldn't be unwelcome right then. He sat down before looking at the unappetising mess before him; eggs, mashed potato, chocalate sauce and mushrooms with some slightly overburnt moa fillets on the side. Lovely he thought as he picked up a spoon and began figuring out how to tackle this concoction. He noticed some of the other recruits looking at him, some smiling, some quizzical. He would have to eat it now, for sake of not looking foolish. He tried picking up a piece of black Moa, dipped it in the egg-potato-chocolate mixture before eating it. He noticed the watchers laghing to themselves or looking ill. On the contrary, he thought this tastes preety good.

Kyro filled his tray with rice and a small helping of potatoes before making his way to the corner of the room and finding a table which allowed him to have his back to the wall. Sitting down he observed each individual in the room as they made their way, chose their food, found their seats, and began strange conversations. The one that particularly caught his interest was when D.J. mentioned cake. D.J. had always been the easy going type, of course he'd be dreaming about cake in a place like this. Kyro looked down at the plain rice and his eye twitched. He searched his pockets and produced a packet of soy sauce and another packet of powder refered to as "cajun seasoning." Applying both to his rice, he sat back and began to eat in silence.

Dwyer was about to take a seat near Jones and the other recruit, a man of almost equal size, until he caught a glimpse of Grec down the line of tables sitting by himself. With a double take at his current table, he dismissed himself. "I'll catch you guys later," he said, deciding that lonership was too good a way to stand out in their predicament, making his way to Andrew.

"This seat taken?" he asked. Without waiting on an answer, he set his tray down and took the seat across from the man. "Good to see another guy who's rather normal in body shape. Most guys I see here were aiming at pristine figure before they enlisted."

Grec glanced up from his tray of breakfast slop, "Huh? Oh, yeah, you can sit there, I don't care."

The recruit shrugged as Dwyer settled down across the table from him. To be honest, the guy had a point - everyone else was pretty damn tall and rippling with muscle. Andrew? Eh, not so much.

"Yeah, I just settled for losing a couple pounds before I turned in my sheet," he joked, "Cut down on my doughnut intake, that sort of thing."

[Yes it's better. To save yourself the trouble you don't have to put the * marks up on either side. Just put dialogue in quotes "". Also, I still don't know who you're talking to, because it can't be my guy seeing as he sat down with Grec, and Grec was alone when he found him.]

oh opps see i'm bad at this since i didn't know who you were talking to lol 

(looking for somewhere to seat i see two people sitting nearby as i walk up and asked) is this seat taken?he said  (sits down anyways since there was nowhere else to sit really)

Dwyer acknowledged the newcoming taking a seat beside him and Grec, but paid little attention to him for now, figuring a seat was all he was looking for. "Doughnut intake," he snickered. "I don't even think that was necessary with the drilling they gave us yesterday. At this rate, we'll be athlete material by the time we get our ranks."

*he glanced up and thought it be rude not to respond with a friendly hello or something* hello. he said. may name is jake barron sorry for being rude and not waiting for a respondes. he explained. what are your name you two? he asked. 

(forgot one small detail in this) (it was after helljumpers person speacking to let you know)

Grec half-shrugged, "Yeah, I dunno about that athlete part," the recruit made a show of poking his belly with a pair of fingers, "I've always been a bit doughy."

Andrew cast the new guy a glance, "Well, you certainly have a particular way of talking," he mused, but deciding to not begin this meeting of the minds with 'JACKASS' firmly stamped on his forehead in red ink, he made a show of introducing himself, "Andrew Grec."

Sam turned to the new arrival, allegedly "Jake," and with a tone of rather disinterest--namely for having his conversation interrupted--he half heartedly introduced himself. "Sam Dwyer."

Looking the man over, he seemed to have an aura of ignorance, especially with his everlasting etiquette. He hadn't yet fallen to jargon like most recruits.

Name:Cameron Bess (A.K.A Nightwalker)

Physical Appearance:Dark skin tone,6"2' 258 Lbs,brown eyes,Muscular build.short black buzz cut hair.

Uniform:OD BDU,with sunglasses

Birthplace:Earth-Houston

Personality:Logical,cunning,stealthy,friendly at most times,Lone wolf

Backstory:Born and raised in the city of houston,he grew up with his mother and 2 brothers.He joined the Spartan IV program at the age of 20.His first assignment was to rescue a captured marine squad from a covenant stagging area on Reach.During his mission he managed to rescue the squad and destroy a covenant ammo and weapon cache all under the cover of nightfall.During his early years of service he earned the nickname Nightwalker,because all of mission were operated and completed during the cover of night.He rose of through the ranks at a astounding rate, reaching the rank of Lieutenant at the age of 23.

Skills:Cameron is skilled with close-quarters-combat,and long range combat.

I dont do very much RP so i am not that good at it.

"It's....alright?" Andrew managed after a few moments. To be honest, he was finding Jake a bit hard to read - maybe the dude was just really awkward around other people? Or he was more stiff and proper than an Englishmen.

((In reference to Major HawThorne))

Okay, since I'm here and I have an idea what's going on, I'll explain things to you.

First of all, this RP is about the training of militia by UNSC Marines on Reach, prior to the Battle of Reach. So, based on that string of logic - your character couldn't be running operations against Covenant forces during the Battle of Reach - because the Battle of Reach hasn't occurred yet in the timeline of the RP. Two, your character - even if he was allowed to be a Spartan variant (which he isn't) - could not be a Spartan-IV, because the Spartan-IV Program to my knowledge was not in play in September of 2552. Lastly, while this isn't important because your rank is dictated by the fact that everyone is a 'recruit' (not even holding a military rank yet) - their is no conceivable way that your character could be a Lieutenant at the age of 23. Well, aside from him going to Officer Candidate School but that wasn't featured in his biography, so I'm assuming that he did not go to school.

Also, he's a friendly Lone Wolf (because everyone is a Lone Wolf...) which sort of brings into question how. If he's a Lone Wolf, he's most likely anti-social which doesn't typically result in the most sunny of personalities - or relations with people.

Eitherway, you at least followed the proper formatting (which some people don't) so I'll give you a cookie in that regard. The rest of it is typical for people new to roleplaying or who failed to read up on the details prior to posting.

So here are my recommendations, go back to the first page of the roleplay and read that first post. It'll help you get an idea of what the aims of the roleplay are and even gives you some help with creating the application.

Two, skim through the roleplay itself and take a look at some of the other applications so you can see how others have set up theirs.

As for not being good at roleplaying, not much I can say there other than just keep at it. It's just like anything else, you just gotta keep at it. Hopefully, some of that was helpful and I didn't come off too heavy as a know-it-all jerk.

(sorry i haven't posted in a while, and nice post dryskim, i hope it helps them. didn't come off too mean.)

Alison saw three other recruits at a more empty table. she walked over and sat next to them quietly and just began eating. she noticed two were semi-into a conversation while one seemed to be siting there awkwardly/