Gamer Tag: CrimsonVolver

Name of Map: Vanguard on Impact, Halo 4

Supported Gametypes: Team Banshee, Banshee KOTH, Oddball, All Slayer gametypes including ordinances, CTF, Regicide, Flood

Customized Gametypes in Fileshare: Team Banshee, Banshee KOTH, Oddball on Vanguard

(Suggest increasing sensor range to 25 for other gametypes that use radar)

Player Count: 12-16

Vehichles on map: 8 Banshees

Description: This map has been in the works since December 2012; The concept for this map revolves around the idea that this was once a Covenant Forward base in the early years of the first wars. It was abandoned and taken over by UNSC forces. There is a dome-shaped platform in the center, and two bases linked by man cannons on opposing sides. The Vanguard dome is completely playable, even without Banshees. In these cases you can have 4v4 as long as players seek to engage each other, rather than camping out in the bases.

The map within the dome is vertical, with man cannon lifts and ramped bridges leading from top to bottom, and a little investigating will find several unique and not-so-obvious pathways from the top to the bottom, particularly near the Red and Blue platforms inside the dome, where there are two (each) drop ins that take players to the lower hall.

There are other Banshee-themed gametypes as well. KOTH is set up with the KOTH hills preset to lower gravity for jep packing players to launch into the hill and try to disable or hijack enemy banshees. Of course, this is also opportunities for banshee-driving players to get vehicle kills or splatters.

SWAT plays well on here, no vehicles of course. I wish Oddball allowed players in vehicles to pick up the ball, but alas, not possible.

As this map is in Impact, there are several skill jumps, esp to the center of the map, which means failed jumps can lead to a trip into the abyss, so be careful.

I have spent literally hours upon hours inside this map, and at one point because of a glitch with the Forge I had to almost completely start over—but I am not unhappy with the end result.

I have made dozens of maps over the years, going back to Halo 3 when merging objects was still just a glitch, so I hope you can tell by this map that I am an experienced forger, though admittedly most of my maps are simply enjoyed in Custom Games with friends, though I have submitted maps to contests like “Meet Your Maker,” and Forgetacular back with Reach. I am taking my forging a little bit more seriously these days, so you will be seeing more of my maps posted to this forge group as well as in other forge communities. I have two other maps that have the conceptual architecture finished, but need playtests, feedback, and refined weapon layouts and spawning.

CrimsonVolver

post-50426-0-31649300-1365368371_thumb.jpgpost-50426-0-69794600-1365368393_thumb.jpgpost-50426-0-01854500-1365368410_thumb.jpgpost-50426-0-91057300-1365368427_thumb.jpgpost-50426-0-06924000-1365368447_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You should toss up a pic showing how the dome looks from the inside. That is the best looking part of the map in my opinion. Reminds me of something out of the movie The Dark Crystal.

-O

Thanks O. I will, I just was still doing some interrior decorating, so to speak, and did not have some current shots. I will do that today, asap.

CrimsonVolver

Oh, and opinions matter to me. Like all art, I want my work to be seen and appreciated. I think all forgers can relate. Thanks, again. CV

Hey, if you have not checked out Liamevanspro's short fly through of Vanguard, please check it out, above. Also, I revised the upper middle and fixed the lower mancannon issue (where it would shoot you off into the dead of space randomly). I will upload the current version as soon as I get back on xbl tonight. CV

Feedback is always appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

It's awesome how you continue to improve it! I can't wait to finally get a chance to test the latest version with you... Maybe this friday I'll have time to join the FNC^^ Please just send me an invite if there is a place free in one of your test lobbies ;-) !

Thanks Raphael. Currently I am in the middle of Vanguard 3.0. The middle and bottom hall have been scrapped and am contemplating how to revise it, based on some recent feedback from THFE. I always keep the previous versions of my maps. I like to go back and forth from different version to explore and reminiscence. I just finished the basic restructuring of my map Sanctorium, now 2.0. I took some screen shots and will share a few on FNC tomorrow, and once I have the gametypes and objectives all set I will start game testing it. I don't know if you have seen Sanctorium (in my fileshare), but you will have to look at both to compare. I am very happy with my new version--there are more ways to get through the map. It is challenging, as Sanctorium is a spiralling cave inside the little Island on Forge Island--I love forging inside the Islands. I am also ripping apart my map Abyss at the moment and building a new larger cave map inside Big Island on Forge Island with a few extra number 5 rock walls and number 2 rocks that just happen to be floating in the sky. That one will be a while before it is ready to play test. I showed Goldeneye and Orange Drone the other night.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Hope to see you on FNC, assuming I can be there as well. Depends on what my family needs, or what we are doing.

CV

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the new version at TNT. Are you still working on the map?

Yes, been working on it throughout the week. I will not have it ready for TNT this week, however, but I will be presenting one of my other maps, Sanctorium 2.0, an asymmetrical little cave map inside the belly of the small island. It will be my first real playtest since I re-imagined it. With Vanguard 4.0 I am working on the interior layout based on the feedback, eliminating the fall zones on the inside and and of course the zip lines; I also need to redesign the ramps up to the lower bridge (where the zip lines were) as well as the platform for the man cannon that shoots you up to the upper platform. I am also reimagining the central structure, which was a fusion of four rocks, but I felt like it darkened and confused things a little for people new to the map. Should be more appealing to competitive game play next time around. Vanguard 4.0 should be ready for the TNT next week.

Getting ready to jump on H4 and forge some more. I joined Canandian Echo in a game of Conquest on BF3 earlier and played clutch in the tank. brought the team back from a 200-300 point deficit, and we won. We were team stars.

See you tomorrow.

CV

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I really appreciate it. I strive to be the best Forger I can be. I really liked, by the way, how you utilized the building on Impact with that Dominion gametype. I can honestly say I have never seen anyone adapt it so well as you did. I knew where I was, but it was designed so well I forgot where I was too.