A Funny Thing Happened the Other Day

About a day or two ago, I was casually walking around my neighborhood when I noticed something rather...odd. 

My neighbor who lives down the street was holding a large bag of white powder.

NOW IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK.

My neighbor, Paul, is a lovely man who lives about two houses down the street from me and has a daughter named Beth. He recently had his older daughter, Lisa, move out to go to college. Him and Lisa were very close and you could tell he was upset that she was gone.

My mom kicked me out of the house so that she could clean and so I decided to just walk around my block. I rounded it about three times when I came to the bus stop in front of my house. There I saw Paul. And his bag of the questionable substance. As a first reaction, I stopped and examined the bag to make sure it was what I thought it was. And sure enough, it was a bag of white powder. 

I knew Paul well enough and walked over to the bus stop bench where he was sitting. He greeted me in his normal friendly way and I said hello back. 

"OK" I thought, "he hasn't tried to hide it or said anything about it." So I figured it was my chance to ask him about it. 

"What uh, what have you got there, Paul?" I asked in as nonchalant a manor as possible.

"What...this? Oh, Lisa ran out of detergent and nobody in her dorm offered her any so I though I should deliver some to her. I figured it would hold her long enough if I just dumped two cans of detergent in one big bag. Why? What did you think it was?"

".....nothing...."