In halo 4 all of the primary rifles have different advantages and disadvantages.

I feel BR has slightly more aim assist (don't quote). It needs this because you have to trace aim for the duration of each burst. It is slightly harder to take down someone's shield with the BR even with the greater aim assist. However it is significantly easier to get a head shot on a no shield opponent as only 1 of the 3 bullets in a burst needs to hit, allowing for a h2/h3 style swipe aim easy headshots.

The DMR has an easier time taking down someone's shield with its single shots. You can snap shot style aim, as you don't need to trace if you don't want to. Also at greater ranges every shot it hits will hit for 100% damage, unlike with BR where 1 or 2 of the 3 bullets in each burst can miss. (This is where the DMR gains its range dominance over the BR, not the superior scope IMO) However it is much harder to get the head shot.

I personally think tournament play could allow both, with loadouts, like in matchmaking. But if you have to pick one over the other i think DMR is the best choice. My reason for this is that harder headshots. DMR v DMR allows for people to actually miss the finisher, and because of this a fight is never over till its over. With BR vs BR however, once you are up or down in shots in a heads up, the outcome of the fight is already decided. The finishing shot is easy, arguably even easier that the previous 4 shots for some aim styles.

So why do people push for BR in tournaments, then whinge that DMR is more dominant in matchmaking? Im seriously suspicious a lot of peoples judgements are being clouded by nostalgia. With the huge competitive growth halo had during halo 3, this halo was many peoples first halo, and i feel this is where the BR obsession comes from. As someone who started with halo 1, I have to admit that playing with the DMR in reach gave me a burst of nostalgia. The glorious return of the 'comeback' in heads up fights, that the single-shotting, hard-headshotting DMR allowed, is something halo 1 players can appreciate.

But hey, were all being objective here right? so moving on. What about the light rifle?

The LR has the quickest kill time with a 4 shot kill (4 scoped shots, or the even quicker 1 scoped + 3 no scoped shots), but has the least aim assist. Its burst shots also have a longer duration that the BR, meaning you have to trance aim harder, and be a little less wild on a swipe style headshots. So although it is technically the best primary rifle it is far and away the hardest to use. Not only is there less aim assist, but you have to do a more advanced scoping/unscoping thing with it to get the most out of it.

How is the LR not the far and away the most obvious choice for competitive play? Maybe its just no one has LR nostalgia?

Some food for thought...

The carbine is a little underpowered atm so i wont go into it too much, its harder to use because you need to land more shots in the same amount of time. Pretty simple. However one thing worth mentioning is that once and opponent has no shield, it has an easier time finishing them because its got more 'second chances' with its higher fire rate. The reason i bring this up is because of the proposed BR buff. A slower shooting, 4 shotting BR would in a way be slightly nerfed in regards to ease of head shotting  If you do somehow miss the headshot, its going to be longer before you get another crack at it.

@Machyl Eberle The DMR is not used in tournaments because its ridiculous effective range stifles map movement. This causes stagnant games, which is not what competitive tournaments need; what kind of spectator wants to watch an AGL camp-fest? Because with the BR sometimes not all of the bullets register, players are encouraged to team-shoot in order to finish kills. DMRs, LRs, and Carbines are often placed on arena maps, the former two to be used like Snipers and the latter to supplement BR ammo.

But now the weapons will be balanced out perfectly as soon as 343i implements the update.

• 2 weeks later...

Use the DMR, it doesn't feel unbalanced compared to the rest? It can 5 shot about the same as the LR can 4 shot and the magnetism is ridiculous. The Br feels like it needs its shot speed slightly down and Power slightly up. It takes some skill to out Br someone its all about who hits the first shot with the DMR because of how easy it is to use. I trash on kids with my Br all the time but when someone gets the first shot at decent range who is anything close to a good shot, you get trashed no matter how much you strafe because at long range its pretty much a done deal since you can't sprint and get shot. I understand its supposed to be the long range weapon of choice but its more accurate then the LR and longer range.

​The Carbine, I wish they'd buff to a 7 shot like it used to be. I agree that the gun is way under the rest.
Either fix the aim assist on the DMR or Increase the damage and range. I should at least have a chance at long range.
I like my Halo like I like it. Based on the skill of my shot like it used to be. Not the chance my bullet will hit him while aiming directly at him

@BurningHero74 That's one way if looking at it, but the changes will accomplish the same thing while simultaneously speeding up the flow of the game. And remember, it's not just about BR vs DMR; there are other weapons like the Carbine and Light Rifle that previously didn't have a chance to shine. To balance out all the primaries in the way you're suggesting, not only the DMR but the BR also would need to be nerfed. I think 343i is making a smart decision and going about it cautiously. Also keep in mind that the changes probably won't affect the entire sandbox.

I love the idea of a 4 shot battle rifle, but I don't think it's a good idea to make it shoot slower because how slow it kills is the whole problem right now, people wouldn't be so upset about it being a 5 shot if it could kill as fast as the dmr.

But as long as it kills faster than it does now it's going to be awesome! I really want the battle rifle to be like a close-range version of the dmr, not just something I use for nostalgia :)

Umm bad idea.

There is already over powered weapons such as, Assault Rifle

and I dont think they should make Battle Rifle

even more powerful than it already is.

That would just give people an advantage over the DMR but,

I would never chose Battle Rifle over DMR.

Yeah. You can take down Prom. Knights with under a clip w/ an assault rifle. We really don't need a buffed BR.

And btw. Try to use a clip of AR on a knight on legendary diff and see where this lead you dude.

What do you mean? I always use automatics against knights, it's the fastest way to drop their shields and then you can just finish them off with a melee. It's much more effective than trying to take them down at long range because it takes forever to get their shields down, and even when that happens about half the time they just teleport out of the way, meaning you end up wasting ammunition, and the ammunition for rifles is a lot less common than that for automatics.

The only precision weapon worth using against knights is the lightrifle, and even then it still takes a long time to kill and there's a big risk of wasting an entire magazine if the knight teleports away, because you usually can't line up another shot before their shields come back up since they normally reappear in cover.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized something: a 4SK BR means that it will be possible to get 3 kills with one clip--practically as good as the DMR. While it is unlikely that most people will be getting these streaks, it does seem as though it will encourage teamshooting in the upper levels. I'm watching the livestream right now and all the weapons look awesome. Check it out! http://www.twitch.tv/343industries/b/404748451

If I worked at 343 I would...

- Make Boltshot a Primary Weapon and Make Power weapons secondary

- Slow walking speed to an even slower rate than the Halo Reach Beta

- Make the BR a 8 shot headshot kill

- Buff the DMR

- Make Active Camo Last longer and give the Sniper rifle 5 more rounds and one more bullet per clip

- Make the Jetpack the exact same way it is in Reach

- Add Bloom to Carbine and the Lightrifle

- Bring Back Armor Lock

- And Remove CSR

:troll:

• Like 1

I just realized something: a 4SK BR means that it will be possible to get 3 kills with one clip--practically as good as the DMR. While it is unlikely that most people will be getting these streaks, it does seem as though it will encourage teamshooting in the upper levels. I'm watching the livestream right now and all the weapons look awesome. Check it out! http://www.twitch.tv/343industries/b/404748451

That was the original design of a lot of weapons. The DMR original had 15 rounds in the clip (3 kills per clip at 5sk) and BR was always 4sk before Halo 4. The Carbine was originally a 6sk which gave it 3 kills per clip, but they nerfed it to 7 with a faster kill time than the BR.

343 took rounds out of the clips to force earlier reloads before completing kills so you can't do as much damage before you have to reload. It's the same reason they made the shield recharge delay 6 seconds, so that you can win one fight, and then you're low-or-no shields for 6 seconds and therefore an easier kill.

In more than one way Halo 4 is designed to let players get 1 kill then die. That way everyone gets a kill and goes home happy. No one excels very much, but at least no one feels left out.