Destiny Anticipated Rating of Mature, Bungie Files Trademarks

Contrary to the leaked contract we saw last May, it appears as though, via the Character Development GDC piece, Destiny will be intended for a mature audience.
This may seem fairly obvious but it hints at a larger scope of possible changes made to the leaked contract, all of which it seems are unknown at this time.

CharDevMatureRating_zps10b25b40.jpg

This next development is also somewhat vague and quite old.
Bungie filed for five trademarks on March 11th: 'Glimmer', 'Fallen', 'Hive', 'Cabal', and 'Vex'. The trademarks cover a number of uses from Halloween costumes to ringtones.
All of these trademarks have been used as enemy alien titles except 'Glimmer'.

-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

I also wanted to add this in but I felt it would be a little too strong on the speculation; first, at 24 minutes, when discussing their second World Pillar ("Idealized Reality") they mentioned these "Giant Onyx Pyramid Ships". After noting that a good game needs them, Christopher Barrett also told us this:

GiantOnyxPyramidShips_zps48b53810.jpg

"I really love this one but I'm not allowed to talk about those yet, maybe someday down the road."

Literally directly after this they moved their presentation on to Destiny World Pillar Three "Mystery and Adventure" during which they talked about populating these worlds with enemies. At 31:09 they showed us this.

FiveConceptAlienRacesMoodboard_zps322222

An early moodboard of five alien race concepts, the far right section depicting pyramids, perhaps indicating the unannounced fifth race left out of the discussion for later.
(pure speculation, from left to right: 'Vex', 'Fallen', 'Cabal', 'Hive', 'Glimmer')

EDIT (6/17/13):

"Glimmer" is all but confirmed

as the in-game currency of Destiny.

Only time will tell what other uses for Glimmer there are,

and whether there is any connection to the fifth alien race at all.

glimmercloseupE3_zps7499f9d0.jpg

As evidenced by this 'enhanced' view of a screengrab from the gameplay demo;

"Glimmer" appears to be involved in the upgrading of at least weapons. Other components of weapon upgrading seem to be concepts called "weapon kits" and "talent points".

GDC Concept Art

bungie_destiny_gdc_13.jpg

• Like 9

An excellent analysis, I really enjoyed reading this highplains thank you for bringing this to us. And I agree with you on that last picture I do believe that those are the 5 enemy races with Glimmer as the last but I have no idea what the picture could hint at? Maybe the ship seen in the picture above it since they're both pyramid shaped? And Chris Barrett's quote kind of hints to me that since it's not able to be talked about, it hasn't been mentioned before like the Glimmer

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I just keep thinking, why the name 'Glimmer'? It seems like such a lame title, OR DOES IT?
Glimmer:

1. a faint or unsteady light; twinkle, shimmer, flicker
  2. a dim perception; inkling
  3. to appear faintly or dimly

Famous Literary connection: ~not all that glitters is gold~

Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice line; Prince of Morocco-

"All that glisters is not gold

Often have you heard that told:

Many a man his life hath sold,

But my outside to behold:

Gilded tombs do worms infold.

Had you been as wise as bold,

Young in limbs, in judgement old,

Your answer had not been inscroll'd.

Fare you well, your suit is cold.

Poem from LOTR, penned by Bilbo himself:

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

The adage is traced back to
Aesop (circa 600 BC)
in at least one of his fables (The Prize Bird) and appeared in it's modern wording around 1175.

Let's look at the moodboard the right yellow panel (I think we've established refers to the Glimmer) and compare it to the others.

• There is a humanoid shape symbolizing the base unit type for all.
  • All appear to have some sort of spacecraft or at least rudimentary landing craft (in the case of the Cabal).
  • The Vex, and Hive panels have a larger structure in back that unifies the panel, respectively a hulking figure made of 'bubbles' and the Gravemindesce tendrils. The Glimmer has an unidentifiable vapor.
  • The Vex and Fallen spacecraft are shown in different sizes, so are the Glimmer's. The Cabal and Hive have different sizes and shapes.

Now let's look at it and contrast them.

• There is only one humanoid shape on the Glimmer's panel; the Vex are legion, the Cabal's formation is reminiscent of Mgalekgolo (perhaps they are factional within their civilization), the Hive are comprised of a horde of multiple shapes and sizes, The Fallen appear to be a heavily specialized force (perhaps indicating they're orbs are weapons/warfarers). The Glimmer shows one organic-shaped being, is this their only unit or is it the only unit?
  • The unifying feature, the vapor, in unintelligible. We can tell the Hive are flood/zombies controlled by a central body. We can tell the Vex are legion, a robot army marching in formation, the hulking figure (unless that's my subconscious perception of it) definitely speaks to that; out of many they are one.

The Glimmer appears to be an enigma that we know nothing about, an maybe are only dimly aware of.

• Like 2

Just found this again;

"I already touched on the Rhino, Fifth Element-looking enemies back on Mars. But there are several other enemies you'll encounter throughout the solar system. Like time traveling robots, warlocks, spider pirates, space zombies...I'm not sure what half of these things will be like"

-Tina Amini

This may have been gone over but this must be referencing the Glimmer. Reminds me of the invisible variant of the S'pht from Marathon who would go from a shadow to suddenly visible when you shot them.

• Like 2

Just found this again;

"I already touched on the Rhino, Fifth Element-looking enemies back on Mars. But there are several other enemies you'll encounter throughout the solar system. Like time traveling robots, warlocks, spider pirates, space zombies...I'm not sure what half of these things will be like"

-Tina Amini

This may have been gone over but this must be referencing the Glimmer. Reminds me of the invisible variant of the S'pht from Marathon who would go from a shadow to suddenly visible when you shot them.

I had run across this article in my efforts to search for any and all info on Destiny! (article posted in February, GamesRadar released a similar article the same day found here!) I like the author's unique interpretation of the information too.  I have Tina added to my collection of bookmarks, lol!

I think the "time traveling robot" is reference to Vex, "space zombies" reference Hive, "spider pirates" reference Fallen (multiple limbs/eyes and the name of the known vehicle called "spider tank"). 

At first I thought "Warlocks" referred to the human class you can play as but as I reviewed different images, there is another possible enemy whose name hasn't been revealed...

possible_warlock_zpse04ab84a.png

A hulking beast of an enemy with bat/dragon-like wings or cape with an odd shaped head. Also note they seem to be allied with the Hive.

Also, here's the GamesRadar video released with their article...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yk5HJphe1tQ

Like I said, everytime I search I find a few more tidbits of interesting info that has been "overlooked", lol! (Can you tell Destiny has me excited :) )

Thanks again highplains!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

(Can you tell Destiny has me excited :) )

DESTINY! The feeling is mutual, friend.

I hadn't thought of the bat/dragon Ent-giants as the warlocks they were referring to, that's interesting, I was thinking they were a separate entity.

I assumed the Hive would be composed of many species like the Flood because of their section of the moodboard and the idea of their ancient armor being crusted onto their skin. Although there is that image at 36:00 that shows a red robed figure that could be a "warlock"...

In the Eurogamer article Chris Barrett was quoted saying they wanted to include "dimensional beings" amongst other things such as "ancient robots" and "space zombies". That's what led me to think these "warlocks" were these apparently space-magical beings, the Glimmer. (if they're hyperspatial we may only be able to catch of glimpse of them within our corporal range of perception)

But it could just as easily be the space zombies which are these dimensional beings.

confirm if Destiny is supposed to be like some kind of MMO?

You've probably also read that Destiny is being billed as a SWS (shared world shooter), Bungie has tried to make it clear they don't want the game series labeled as an MMO. Knowing Bungie, this is not some gimmick or attempt at deflecting.

From what we have been shown and told it would seem like -this is mostly speculation- players are not connected at all times within the same server. Instead they meet each other based on connection, like Halo's matchmaking, and depending largely on their shared area. Once one player leaves that area they leave the game, and when you enter an area there could be thousands of players even in the same immediate vicinity you aren't interacting with.

So far the only indication of a true MMO setting would possibly be these hangout spots; the Hanger and the Tower, where players can interact with one another freely without combat actions.

It might feel like an MMO in some regards but really not in any terms of actual gameplay.

Look up Journey or Demon's Souls multiplayer, it's the closest thing to what Bungie seems to be striving for that I know of.

Mind you this is not exactly official but seems to be the general consensus.

• Like 2

Have been thinking about the "Glimmer" race you are referring to and have come up with a theory. Perhaps this race is the reason "The Traveler" came to Earth. It is possible this race was attacking Earth and The Traveler was the only method of repelling it's (Glimmer) attack. The Traveler may have sacrificed himself (their self if Traveler is the name of the craft) in order to save humanity. This could be the reason for not releasing information about them seeing as this species could be the ultimate threat we will be facing in game.

Just a thought I had which is pure opinion and theory, lol. :)

• Like 2

Oh ok, that clears it up quite a bit. Also has Bungie given us a release date?

Bungie has not hinted at a release date, only announced Destiny will appear on next-gen consoles, not to be confused with it being a release title.

But there is this; a leaked document which outlines a release schedule of titles every other year with successive DLC following games in even years. This would start with a fall release of 'Destiny 1' in Fall 2013 and continue into 2020 with the fourth DLC release.

There is also this; a legal investor statement put out by Activision stating that they have "not included the launch in its 2013 outlook and there should be no speculation or expectation of a different result."

However as we have seen, Destiny is not planned to be rated T as the leaked contract reported, it is expected to be rated Mature. This makes it appear as though this contract, which I believe was made public by legal proceedings regarding the Infinity Ward-Activision schism, has been reworked or at least is not completely accurate.

Look forward to E3 for a possible release date.

-Reach's reveal to the public was on June 1 for E3 2009, a full year before it's release-

-ODST was first

in 2008-

-Halo 3 was

at 2006 E3-

-Halo 2 was revealed via

in 2002-

-Halo CE was

shown at Macworld way back in 1999-

All revealed, usually at E3, at least a year before an autumn release.

2014 isn't too far from now.

• Like 1