Atrophy (Decay Revision)

Death by Dogs

Creator: Death by Dogs

Map Name: Atrophy

Preferred Gametype: Death Slayer

Recommended Player Counts: 2v2, 3v3, 4-5 player free-for-all

Description:  Players battle in what appears to be a once glorious Recycling Center that could recycle anything and everything, but now is abandoned and left to rot and decay.  This is an asymmetrical slayer map built for a maximum of 3 v 3.  The map has no special trait zones.

Power Weapons:  Beam Rifle, SAW, Sticky Detonator

Weapons:  There are four random drops around the map each set up with suppressor, assault rifle, storm rifle, lightrifle, BR, DMR, covenant carbine

Grenades:  2 Plasma, 2 Frag, 2 pulse

post-30115-0-94907800-1370957753_thumb.jpg

post-30115-0-99422300-1364567339_thumb.jpg

post-30115-0-91957300-1370957757_thumb.jpg

post-30115-0-05762100-1364567343_thumb.jpg

post-30115-0-91472100-1370957761_thumb.jpg

Guest Psychoduck

Yeah, as Able said I've been super busy.  I'm sure you can understand, especially given the amount of submissions we receive.  

Anyways, as soon as I next get a 2v2 lobby going I will definitely be playing this.

Yeah, as Able said I've been super busy.  I'm sure you can understand, especially given the amount of submissions we receive.  

Anyways, as soon as I next get a 2v2 lobby going I will definitely be playing this.

Thanks for getting back to me, and I do understand it would just be nice to hear something.

Guest Psychoduck

Ok, I finally got a game on here last night.  I definitely liked it.  There is some great verticality, and the map fits together really nicely with some good flow and good risk vs reward elements.  We did notice two problems though, one of which is very minor, and the other not so much.  The minor problem was merely a big gap between two pieces on a wall on the exterior of the map.  This was sort of on the bottom left of your first screenshot, the little connection on that end of the sword bridge.  I meant to get a screenshot, but I forgot.  I can get one if you can't find it based on that description.  Also, from the same area looking out into the atrium of the map I got some definite framerate drop  I haven't determined exactly how bad it is, but it looks like something would definitely have to be done before i could move on with possibly featuring the map.  It's really more of an object density thing than anything else unfortunately.  Erosion is notorious for having framerate issues, so this may be difficult to fix unfortunately.  The last thing I noticed that I'm not super sure about is the sword.  It was a nice central weapon, and it gave players a nice reward for dropping down onto the central bridge.  However, in practice it tends to be best to avoid weapons like swords and shotguns in 2v2s in favor of more skill-based weapons like snipers, rail guns, etc.  I'm not saying this was a problem, but it certainly could be.  Anyways, I hope you find this all helpful.

Ok, I finally got a game on here last night.  I definitely liked it.  There is some great verticality, and the map fits together really nicely with some good flow and good risk vs reward elements.  We did notice two problems though, one of which is very minor, and the other not so much.  The minor problem was merely a big gap between two pieces on a wall on the exterior of the map.  This was sort of on the bottom left of your first screenshot, the little connection on that end of the sword bridge.  I meant to get a screenshot, but I forgot.  I can get one if you can't find it based on that description.  Also, from the same area looking out into the atrium of the map I got some definite framerate drop  I haven't determined exactly how bad it is, but it looks like something would definitely have to be done before i could move on with possibly featuring the map.  It's really more of an object density thing than anything else unfortunately.  Erosion is notorious for having framerate issues, so this may be difficult to fix unfortunately.  The last thing I noticed that I'm not super sure about is the sword.  It was a nice central weapon, and it gave players a nice reward for dropping down onto the central bridge.  However, in practice it tends to be best to avoid weapons like swords and shotguns in 2v2s in favor of more skill-based weapons like snipers, rail guns, etc.  I'm not saying this was a problem, but it certainly could be.  Anyways, I hope you find this all helpful.

Alright, I went back last night and found that gap you had spoken about and fixed it.  Although, I have yet to have any framerate problems with the map in my play tests and I searched in the area you said it was and around the whole map, but I was unable to pick up on anything.  Though since you said it was there I did delete one of my lights and replace a few objects to try to help although you'll have to let me know if that did it since I can't find anything.  Finally I left the sword because I never had any issues with it in my play tests.  Maybe if you could explain a little more on why it is not the best weapon besides, 'skill based"  I would consider replacing it.  I also didn't replace because I already have a beam-rifle and sticky-det. which I believe are skill based weapons.  Besides that I re-uploaded the map to my fileshare and you can download it again and see if that fixes the graphic issues.

Guest Psychoduck

Ok, I'll get some games on the new version/  As for the sword, like I said, it isn't a weapon that is condusive to the player skill and thoughtful movement which should be core to a good 2v2 map experience.  The sword isn't a weapon with a lot of strategy attached to it.  Again, I merely recommend against it.  It didn't cause any problems in my games.

Ok, I'll get some games on the new version/  As for the sword, like I said, it isn't a weapon that is condusive to the player skill and thoughtful movement which should be core to a good 2v2 map experience.  The sword isn't a weapon with a lot of strategy attached to it.  Again, I merely recommend against it.  It didn't cause any problems in my games.

I understand that your busy, just reminding you to not forget about my map.

• 3 weeks later...
So I got a game on this a while back, sorry it took a while to get you some feedback, but better late than never! First off, I just want to say that the map is very easy on the eyes, something that's hard to accomplish with the Erosion pallet. The level of detail was great, major props there.  However, I did notice a few issues with the layout of the map, weapon choice, etc.

The first thing I noticed was the placement of initial spawns. Red team spawns considerably higher up than blue, giving them and advantage right off the bat. Also, red team is basically guaranteed the sword since it spawns much closer to them than it does blue. Which brings me to my next point - the sword. With smaller team sizes, the sword generally isn't the best weapon choice because it takes very little skill to use. And this is especially so when playing on a cramped, CQC-style map.

Now onto the actual map layout. Decay almost felt like two different maps squished together. The bottom portion of the map was very cramped and linear. There just wasn't much space to move around in those lower rooms. And by linear, I mean that there weren't many movement options between the rooms. Basically, once you get down to the bottom portion of the map, you are forced to either keep travelling in one direction until you get back up to the top portion of the map, or turn around and go back from where you came. I'd like to see more interaction between these rooms and the top half of the map.

Now the top area, instead of being too cramped, felt just a little on the open side. It's not as big of a deal as the bottom being to cramped/linear, though. If you can find some way to create more connections between the bottom and top halves of the map, that feeling of "too much open space" should be taken care of.

Hopefully that helped some! If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

So I got a game on this a while back, sorry it took a while to get you some feedback, but better late than never! First off, I just want to say that the map is very easy on the eyes, something that's hard to accomplish with the Erosion pallet. The level of detail was great, major props there.  However, I did notice a few issues with the layout of the map, weapon choice, etc.

The first thing I noticed was the placement of initial spawns. Red team spawns considerably higher up than blue, giving them and advantage right off the bat. Also, red team is basically guaranteed the sword since it spawns much closer to them than it does blue. Which brings me to my next point - the sword. With smaller team sizes, the sword generally isn't the best weapon choice because it takes very little skill to use. And this is especially so when playing on a cramped, CQC-style map.

Now onto the actual map layout. Decay almost felt like two different maps squished together. The bottom portion of the map was very cramped and linear. There just wasn't much space to move around in those lower rooms. And by linear, I mean that there weren't many movement options between the rooms. Basically, once you get down to the bottom portion of the map, you are forced to either keep travelling in one direction until you get back up to the top portion of the map, or turn around and go back from where you came. I'd like to see more interaction between these rooms and the top half of the map.

Now the top area, instead of being too cramped, felt just a little on the open side. It's not as big of a deal as the bottom being to cramped/linear, though. If you can find some way to create more connections between the bottom and top halves of the map, that feeling of "too much open space" should be taken care of.

Hopefully that helped some! If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Well, thank you for the feedback, it according to me was the best I have received on this map yet, you just explained it very well and since Psychduck likes your feedback I believe that is what he was trying to tell me in the first place I just didn't get it. 

So what I think I've decided to do is keep the map exactly how it is just because I like it, but I will then take the same map and alter it into a different map using this feedback and any other feedback in the future and resubmit the new version.

Guest Psychoduck

Well, thank you for the feedback, it according to me was the best I have received on this map yet, you just explained it very well and since Psychduck likes your feedback I believe that is what he was trying to tell me in the first place I just didn't get it. 

So what I think I've decided to do is keep the map exactly how it is just because I like it, but I will then take the same map and alter it into a different map using this feedback and any other feedback in the future and resubmit the new version.

Dax is part of a group of experienced forgers which I created to help me sort through submissions and provide feedback.  So yes, his feedback is an extension of my own.

I have revised the map according to your feedback and have called it Atrophy.  If anyone has more suggestions then I will be applying them to Atrophy and not Decay.  I hope that you will be able to get some more tests in on the new version.

Now as for the changes: as you can see I really only changed the central area of the map along with that low portion of the map.  I have removed the bridge and replaced it with a jump platform which is reachable from both top and bottom of the map through jumping.  I also have removed the sword and replaced it with a SAW on the jump platform.  Since the jump platform is able to be reached from below the blue team has an equal chance at retrieving the Saw as the red team (Who do spawn in the same place).  I did not change the spawns because it would be quite a challenge and would probably lead to a completely different map.  I also didn't change them since the blue team has a better chance at getting the beam Rifle and equal chance at getting both the Saw and Sticky Det., which I believe has evened out the beginning vertical disadvantage that blue team gets.