The Killer Robot Factory

kimjongillwill

Gamertag: kimjongillwill

Map: The Killer Robot Factory

Gametype: Infinity Slayer

Download link: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/kimjongillwill/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=378a00fd-7374-4aa5-983f-758d0f20da05

EDIT: I've changed this map a lot since I posted this, so some of the screen shots might not match anymore but they ought to do the trick. Finished map: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/kimjongillwill/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=378a00fd-7374-4aa5-983f-758d0f20da05

Hello, all. This is the first map I've made for Halo 4 and my first time ever posting a level online. I hope you like it. It's called the Killer Robot Factory.

post-70563-0-83941300-1364400573.jpg

I used gravity fields and station cores to create a series of conveyor belts that constantly move explosives, kill balls and Mantises (Mantisi?) through the map. I threw in some things like a giant claw/crane and some pistons that are constantly in motion to give it more of a factory-like feel. The Robots move around the outside wall until they're sucked upwards into a thingamajigger before they're spit out on to the floor where players can actually use them.

post-70563-0-82742300-1364400641.jpg

There's a corporate office, which serves as home base to the red team (the corporate ********) and a small break room on the factory floor for the blue team (union thugs).

post-70563-0-86349900-1364400667.jpg

Since it's a robot factory, I added in some extra robotic awesomeness. These flying security drones are all functioning auto turrets as well as an R2 unit that's found in the corporate office.

post-70563-0-71000500-1364400702.jpg

There are a series of vent shafts that wrap around the factory and through the machinery to help you get around. One of these vent shafts serves as a secret passageway that takes you through the particle accelerator (watch out for the kill ball here) and into a secret room that you technically aren't supposed to be able to reach on the impact map.

Just use plain old Infinity Slayer for the game type. You could play this level with just two people, but I would recommend 4-16 players.

The only critique I've received so far is that I have too many ordinance drops, but I'm choosing to ignore it. My personal feeling is the more guns; the merrier. And I'll be damned if I pay for them!!! Ordinance drops for life, son.

post-70563-0-73676900-1364400769.jpg

I reached both the cash and item limit on this level but the lighting works fine and there aren't any lagging issues that I'm aware of.

Please let me know what you think in the comments, or if you're having trouble finding the secret entrance to the secret passage that leads to the secret room. Hint: it's through here:

post-70563-0-91131300-1364400740.jpg

Hug the walls. You'll find it.

~kimjongillwill

Finished Map: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/kimjongillwill/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=378a00fd-7374-4aa5-983f-758d0f20da05

you have some really really cool aesthetics going on. The outside conveyor belt looks great. Although there is so much going on with the constant explosions and all the initial ordnance drops that i believe it is slowing down and lagging the map. Looks really good though, keep working at it!!! Also may borrow some of ur ideas like the chairs with the flag plate and capture plate, genius my friend, so i hope u don't mind

you have some really really cool aesthetics going on. The outside conveyor belt looks great. Although there is so much going on with the constant explosions and all the initial ordnance drops that i believe it is slowing down and lagging the map. Looks really good though, keep working at it!!! Also may borrow some of ur ideas like the chairs with the flag plate and capture plate, genius my friend, so i hope u don't mind

I don't mind at all, brother. Did you notice you can grab the battle rifles that are built into the chairs? Personally, I haven't had any issues with lagging, but I suppose I could delete one of the kill balls that shoots through the secret passage and use that money to replace some ordinance drops with actual guns, and maybe that will help. I'll post an update in a day or so when I'm done tweaking it.

Here's an update with gameplay, aesthetic and architectural changes: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/kimjongillwill/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=dc68511e-8dee-481d-ac95-26d52e57ff6c 

Most of the ordinance drops are gone so it should be less laggy for those of you who were having trouble. I'll put up a more detailed post when the level is finished, but I wanted to address something real quick: I made sure to have plenty of ways to destroy the mantis to offset the obvious advantage of having it parked right outside of the blue base. For instance, you can board an enemy mantis from underneath the platform that the mantis lands on. I call it the killing room floor. If you can get underneath the mantis before it's able to walk off the platform, you can board it right through the floor. To help you towards this end, there are always grenades found under the killing room floor, and if all else fails there's a spartan laser hidden in the crane/claw cable.

I'm getting very near to completing this map, so I'd really love to hear any comments or criticisms you may have as I'm nearing the end.

Just downloaded this map, can't wait to play some Rock 'N Rail on it with some friends later tonight!  This map is so cool, man.  Amazing use of the physics/aesthetics. 

Thanks, brother! What's rock n rail? A gametype with all rail guns? I'm damn near finished with this map. I've found a few ways to save some cash and throw in some extra weapons and I've been tweaking everything to make sure it is all working right. I'll be posting the final version in a couple of days, so I'd really love to hear any thoughts you might have on this map after you played it with your friends. Thanks for downloading, my friend.

• 1 month later...

I finally finished this map. Here's the updated link: >The Killer Robot Factory<. I got sidetracked working on my friend's map for the last couple of months-- which is really cool and will be posted soon-- but I finally got around to wrapping this one up. If you liked this level, make sure you get the latest and final version. And I'd love to hear from you if you enjoyed it or even if you hated it. I put a lot of work into it and and am interested to hear what people think. Good or bad.