Personal Ordnance off of Streaks, Not Points

homesauce

Overall, I appreciate what 343 is doing with this game and believe that it has the potential to be the best Halo since CE.

Anyone that has played Halo 4 has probably noticed the poor implementation of personal ordnance drops.  Games feel more like a free for all of power weapons, power ups and is packed full of 1 sk weapons without need for proper map control.  The thing I enjoy the most about Halo combat was a level playing field for dueling.  The move towards excessive ordnance drops has shifted combat more towards who has the better weapon combination at the time and less about who has the best aim and combat skills.

I humbly suggest that Halo 4 should reward personal ordnance off of kill STREAKS, instead of point totals.  This would reduce the ordnance stockpiles and finally reward players for getting streaks and allow people to play strategically instead of just trying to rush and get as many points as possible.

Other achievable requests would be:

1. Show death count in the game.  Why can't we see death count in the MP game??  
  2. Dial back the doubles ordnance drop frequency please!  Doubles is my favorite play list and feels more like team rail guns.
  3. Timed (or semi timed) weapon drops for map control. Make no mistake about it, although timed weapon drops were lame in theory, they prevented Halo players from camping and required players to fight for ground.  If there are no timed drops, this game has the potential to turn into a corner camping game like CoD.

Less achievable changes:

1. More consistent grenade damage
  2. Tighter hit boxes! Bring back some of the skill in aiming.

Thanks for reading!

This is probably one of the better ideas I have read on here in a while. I agree, players should be rewarded for streaks. With the current system, players get power weapons for having a pulse.

I imagine having timed map ordianance would play out a lot like team doubles with two extra guys. They should increase the timer or something, cuz the game plays out so fast. A 2 minute spawn timer would come and go like nothing.

Also, lol @ team railguns. That playlist is a joke.

you can't see death count because if you see a guy whos 0 and 20 your gonna hurt there poor feelings.

Ordances ruin these gametypes with there randomness. we just need a soild kill assist death like any normal game and not these Oh you spawned into the game heres 15 point medals. Waste of time and a big turn off.

The best idea is no ordnance, just scrap the whole system. Halo has never been a "rich get richer" type of game. And that's exactly what point/score streaks are.

I would have liked it better if instead of weapons, you got random stuff like call in NPC spartans to fight or a destroyable pelican is summoned to attack enemy players. At the very least it would have more entertaining then get a random power weapon (or crap weapon)/powerup.

• Like 2

I think that air support would have been a nice touch but I'm not sure that I agree that Halo hasn't been a "rich get richer" game.

You'd probably agree that the undertone to Halo has been map control.  When you have map control, you get more timed powerups, which leads to better map control and more timed powerups and more spawn kills.  This is especially apparent when there is a strong opponent which operates to lock you down.

It is surprising that 343 imported the kill rewards from CoD but didn't import the one thing that CoD got right.  Streaks.

Overall, I appreciate what 343 is doing with this game and believe that it has the potential to be the best Halo since CE.

Anyone that has played Halo 4 has probably noticed the poor implementation of personal ordnance drops.  Games feel more like a free for all of power weapons, power ups and is packed full of 1 sk weapons without need for proper map control.  The thing I enjoy the most about Halo combat was a level playing field for dueling.  The move towards excessive ordnance drops has shifted combat more towards who has the better weapon combination at the time and less about who has the best aim and combat skills.

I humbly suggest that Halo 4 should reward personal ordnance off of kill STREAKS, instead of point totals.  This would reduce the ordnance stockpiles and finally reward players for getting streaks and allow people to play strategically instead of just trying to rush and get as many points as possible.

Other achievable requests would be:

1. Show death count in the game.  Why can't we see death count in the MP game??  
  2. Dial back the doubles ordnance drop frequency please!  Doubles is my favorite play list and feels more like team rail guns.
  3. Timed (or semi timed) weapon drops for map control. Make no mistake about it, although timed weapon drops were lame in theory, they prevented Halo players from camping and required players to fight for ground.  If there are no timed drops, this game has the potential to turn into a corner camping game like CoD.

Less achievable changes:

1. More consistent grenade damage
  2. Tighter hit boxes! Bring back some of the skill in aiming.

Thanks for reading!

i dont agree with the idea aboutn ordances becase the player who has the ordance has earned it and if u replace it with streaks then it would be rare to get one but yes i think this random ordance stuff has to go

1 i dont mind the new death count to much

2 yheh maybe i can agree on this u get to many ordances on doubles

3 but we dont want camping do we now

4 i think greandes pack a puch no need for that

5 not sure on this one

• Like 1

if it was streaks you would earn it for consistantly playing well not getting a rocket launcher for having 4 kills 20 deaths I think its a good idea though im sure people would be moaning that it would make it more like cod! Maybe it could be like a gamble sort of thing like a ladder of wepeons you work your way up the better the streak but 1s you take the ordanance it resets and loose it if you die, that would make it intresting and it would put a stop to so many big wepeons!

i dont agree with the idea aboutn ordances becase the player who has the ordance has earned it and if u replace it with streaks then it would be rare to get one but yes i think this random ordance stuff has to go

1 i dont mind the new death count to much

2 yheh maybe i can agree on this u get to many ordances on doubles

3 but we dont want camping do we now

4 i think greandes pack a puch no need for that

5 not sure on this one

they earned it? soooo when i'm 15 and 0 i get nades needler speedbooast when the guy is 5 20  comes at me and magicaly has rockets. How is that fair?

The problem with ordances is its To random Or you get better stuff for losing i beleive.

there is no good puropse for personal ordinance if you want it to run of of kill streaks. Some players may struggle in a game, and if they just arent capable of obtaining any ordinance, how are they supposed to aid their team in any way? i know this may take away some of the competitive elements of the game, but 343i is trying to give everyone a fair advantage.

As someone said above, it would just end up like CoD. Some players would start off with a good 5 kills, get a power weapon, get another 5 kills, and not give the enemy team a chance at all. This would also promote camping, which is a problem that we do not want to come to halo.

I can understand trying to boost competitiveness, but not everyone wants to play halo for competition. I do think the negatives outweigh the positives in this situation, and it will only end up mirroring the systsme that Cod already has in place

• Like 2

Halo 4's Personal Ordnance and Random Ordnance systems aren't without their flaws.

I definitely think Personal Ordnance should be based mostly on points and not streaks, just not ALL points. Things like Distraction, Assist, etc. that don't really matter should not be counted. Things like standard kills, Splatters, and Melee Kills (all types) should be. Not completely sure about Objective based points like Flags and Bases.

Streaks still deserve rewards in my opinion, so I would suggest that streaks have some effect on your gains for ordnance; maybe multipliers? (1.1x, 1.5x, just nowhere past 2x) I'll let everyone else decide on that.

The best idea is no ordnance, just scrap the whole system. Halo has never been a "rich get richer" type of game. And that's exactly what point/score streaks are.

I would have liked it better if instead of weapons, you got random stuff like call in NPC spartans to fight or a destroyable pelican is summoned to attack enemy players. At the very least it would have more entertaining then get a random power weapon (or crap weapon)/powerup.

they earned it? soooo when i'm 15 and 0 i get nades needler speedbooast when the guy is 5 20  comes at me and magicaly has rockets. How is that fair?

The problem with ordances is its To random Or you get better stuff for losing i beleive.

I can believe you on some of these ideas but at the same time not really... I love how if you suck... you can still get a chance to get ordinance... but yet it feels if your beast modeing it you SHOULD be rewarded.. soo I'm not sure...

In my head, if they used Chris Hansen's idea, then with the combination of everything else Halo 4 has, it would be a complete rip-off of CoD, minus the regular vehicles. Might as well be Call of Duty: Black Ops 7. Also take into account that a destroyable Pelican would obviously require heavy weapons like Rockets or Spartan Lasers to destroy, and those would not be readily available if the Ordnance system was scrapped.

I definitely understand the frustration TornadoFlame has. You deserve better than a Needler. This gives me the idea that you should be able to hold off on your Ordnance, and if you do, it upgrades to better equipment. That would be a major service to those who go all-out in their matches. At the same time, that brings to mind a "Deathstreak" idea that would be like a reversed version of the system I just mentioned. The more you die IN A ROW once you pass 5, the better it gets, but it resets if you call it in.

there is no good puropse for personal ordinance if you want it to run of of kill streaks. Some players may struggle in a game, and if they just arent capable of obtaining any ordinance, how are they supposed to aid their team in any way? i know this may take away some of the competitive elements of the game, but 343i is trying to give everyone a fair advantage.

As someone said above, it would just end up like CoD. Some players would start off with a good 5 kills, get a power weapon, get another 5 kills, and not give the enemy team a chance at all. This would also promote camping, which is a problem that we do not want to come to halo.

I can understand trying to boost competitiveness, but not everyone wants to play halo for competition. I do think the negatives outweigh the positives in this situation, and it will only end up mirroring the systsme that Cod already has in place

I definitely think streaks should be rewarded, but a Personal Ordnance system based off of streaks would ruin both the system and the game at large, and this post shows why. If the scenario in the second "Paragraph" played out, one team would dominate, because the first to get their ordnance will be victorious, and that would definitely lead to camping.

Yeah but you gained those advantages on even ground with everyone else. Everyone had an equal chance to get to the power weapons on the map, unless it was some unbalanced map which did happen. It required having a good team and knowing the map/respawn times.

This was the exact system that I know caused a medley of camping for power weapons. This comes from my experience playing Halo which goes back to Halo 2. I don't think all map weapons should be randomized, though. If you're playing BT Slayer on Ragnarok, the Snipers should spawn on a timer the way they did before, along with the Spartan Laser, but not every single weapon.

• 1 month later...

they earned it? soooo when i'm 15 and 0 i get nades needler speedbooast when the guy is 5 20 comes at me and magicaly has rockets. How is that fair?

I totally agree with this! I can do O.K. with a needler, assuming the map does not operate on distance, which like 90% of them do, so most of the drops are useless because of the DMR being the new version of the Halo 1 pistol.

Also adding CoD streak system?! Are you high?! By far one of the worst system's implimented in a game and you want it on other games! CoD is very anti Noob due to the fact that it requires you to die and die and die just to unlock upgrades, whereas Halo, though veterans have advantages, they're not so damning as they are in CoD. Also instead of adding stuff like what CoD has they should bring back vehicles that were removed, such as the hornet, Chopper(though somewhat out of place without the game having brutes), Spectre. Honestly the game feels a bit light on vehicles and even lighter on matchmaking using them. I really agree with the hit box issue. Considering I have missed people with plasmas and then the grenade suddenly appears on their body, but that might be more of a lag issue than hit box. Also have gotten head shots and I am pretty sure I missed :P

What needs to be fixed is vehicle defense! Two grenades to take out a ghost! By then the driver would get about 4-5 kills! Also not standardizing it. For example the more nimble, but less armored vehicles(basing that on the look of them)such as the mongoose and ghost should only take one grenade(stuck to the vehicle)to take down, whereas the slower more armored vehicles such as worthogs, spectre(if they ever did add it) etc... should take two sticks. Also having damage depend on location of the stick to the vehicle would be great. For example sticking the back of the worthog,where the gas cans are hanging, should do more damage to the vehicle. I honestly wish they wouldn't remove things from prior games. They don't have to use them, but giving custom game makers and forgers the ability to use things such as power ups, custom power ups in conjunction with the physics and abilities of Halo 4, would be amazing and show exactly how dynamic games can be. I think they could add that in if they choose to since microsoft now owns the rights to Halo.

Next thing... fix the light sheild! While it's out I can't regen my sheild, nor do I have protection from splatters, this makes it one of the most useless abilities, in my opinion! If nothing else it would be great to have it use its power to stun a oncoming vehicle, think lock down from reach, but instead of being invulnerable just have it on the front. Now I have used it to protect a flag carrier from gun fire, but that is a really specific scenario to use it in.

remakes of maps are frowned upon but I don't know why! At least remake the more popular maps like Zanzibar, blood gulch, Sidewinder etc...

All this being said I still like Halo 4, but I feel it could've been so much more! Especially with forge.

I think it should be kept as it is but have the point requirement raised dramatically- I got 5 of them during one game once....

A cool but incredibly stupid idea would be disruption bombs, carpet bombs, Cryo strikes and MAC blasts as ordnance where you FW a target locator to use. But that's going a bit too deep in CoD territory. Would be fun for customs and machinima though

I don't really like the idea of streaks. Their even more rich get richer, and encourage players to cheese as hard as they can to get that spree. As it stands, generally even the losing players get ordinance/a chance, which is pretty interesting. Reason being, one of the main reasons people (not the super hardcore) criticize the ordinance system is that it gives winning players more power weapons. However, it's really the opposite problem. As stated, losing players who are playing badly can get easy to use OHK weapons.

In my opnion though, there is only really ONE big problem per sey with the current system. And that is simply that its far too random. There is no reason to have it that random. There is no reason to ever have grenades (just two) as an option. There's no reason to not guarantee one sniper/CQC type weapon rather than wonky weapons like the needler. SOME system where this is less random could help.

But really, here's my beef.

Originally, if I recall, before H4 came out, it was described very differently. From what I remember, ordinance would come in randomly. However, all players would receive a notification on when and where it would be coming. This would create dynamic map movement where teams would make a move to secure those weapons, and have to fight over it. And even better, it could have been assumed ordinance would drop in two or three spots at the same time, forcing teams to split or choose which weapons they want to try to secure. I feel like maybe 2 or 3 times a standard game this event might occur. That's the impression they initially gave. And I like it.

Unfortunately, here's what happened. We got really random weapons dropping with zero warning. You don't plan to get map ordinance. It just drops nearby, you see it, and get it. It's completely arbitrary, and players most often just happen to get the weapon. Even with the Drop Recon perk, the warning they give you is pathetic and glitchy. The result is not a new, exciting method of weapon distribution, or a classic approach, but something different and funky entirely. Ironically, they kept would might be the lamest part of weapon placement: the initial rush. Nothing feels more gimmicky then every player rushing the middle for inc. cannon in the beginning of the match. Why they kept this, but then ditched all semblance of controlled ordinance is beyond me.

I would have liked to see ordinance give a global warning to players. Imagine. "Ordinance incoming in 30 seconds". Little waypoints of a rocket and sword appear. People fight over weapons. It could work. This is simply awkward.

• Like 2

I do like your idea of being awarded with killstreaks but, what happens to the players who aren't as good at halo. Sure, I may be able to get killstreaks easily, but those who aren't that good at halo will be left out and henceforth, are unable to get those cool weapons that others are using. I remember in my first days of playing halo that I couldn't get a killstreak for my life. At most 2 or 3 kills per life (halo 3)

However, I think it would be cool if there were two different ways to earn ordinance; one way being with points, but that would get you weaker or less important gear like grenades, needlers or shotguns. The second way would be by getting a killstreak of maybe 10 and you would get cool items like snipers, rockets or power ups.

About the death count, though. I like that it is gone. I can't tell you how many Reach games I was in where players with high kills and low death would get yelled at because they were "hacking" Without this death counter, it seems like a lot of in-game hostility has died.

i think it should be removed Halo was never a game about so much luck and randomness.. If anything streaks should depend on killing spree's frenzys ect

So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer eh? This is a bad idea, plus if I wanted to play CoD I would play CoD, but this is Halo and I want to play Halo! That being said I do agree with you talking about the randomness of ordiances. It may just be me, but I almost never get power weapons, and always seem to see the winning team with them, but that might just be the rage talking XD.

I do like your idea of being awarded with killstreaks but, what happens to the players who aren't as good at halo. Sure, I may be able to get killstreaks easily, but those who aren't that good at halo will be left out and henceforth, are unable to get those cool weapons that others are using. I remember in my first days of playing halo that I couldn't get a killstreak for my life. At most 2 or 3 kills per life (halo 3)

However, I think it would be cool if there were two different ways to earn ordinance; one way being with points, but that would get you weaker or less important gear like grenades, needlers or shotguns. The second way would be by getting a killstreak of maybe 10 and you would get cool items like snipers, rockets or power ups.

About the death count, though. I like that it is gone. I can't tell you how many Reach games I was in where players with high kills and low death would get yelled at because they were "hacking" Without this death counter, it seems like a lot of in-game hostility has died.

I disagree with having the duel ordinance setup. This would create a gap between the winning/losing team so that the losing team never gets power weapons that could help them make a come back, whereas the winning team will secure their win within the first few minutes of play! In the end though the key issue here is how random the drops seem to be! Also it would be nice to have control over what ordiance call in's people can use on maps/game type settings, but that might just be me.

I have to say no for all this spree nonsense. The whole reason ordinances were added was to help less skilled players gain a slight edge on the battlefield. And honestly, your first ordinance is almost never a Rocket Launcher unless you are on BTB. The system isn't as random as you think. The first couple of ordinances are usually small compared to the third and fourth. That alone gives good players an advantage even with bad players getting ordinances.

And honestly, the system does keep some movement going. While you do have some teams holding off areas, it's better than the elevator and sword camping from Halo 3 on Construct. And certainly better than the spawn killing on Asylum when the enemy team fawns over the power weapon spawns. Halo 4 may have a couple of maps with camping areas, but ordinance helps the losing team clear them out with rockets and buckshot. Prevents the enemy team from keeping you from having any chance of killing them.