So I replayed halo CE and Halo 2's campaign yesterday.

Chris Hansen

In comparison to halo 4's campaign, I was having so much more fun. But I couldn't really figure out why. I chocked it up to nostalgia but then it hit me like a brick wall. 

It's the music.

Halo CE and Halo 2 had dynamic music in their campaigns. I'll give you a good example:

When fighting the several waves of covenant when first boarding the truth and reconciliation, Covenant Dance will start playing, when you kill the two hunters that spawn, the vocals kick in. It's little touches like that, that made the campaign in the older halos feel alive, I felt like the battle field was shaping itself to major things you accomplished in the campaign or reached a certain area.

I don't hate the sound track for halo 4, but it's just not the music I've come to expect from a halo game. Halo 4's campaign had a good story. That's it. The missions were rather dull and the music was largely forgettable except for the final level really. 

I really miss Marty.

• Like 3

I constantly boot up waypoint to listen to the music. Not to mention how often I listen to their remake in the Halo 4 credits. 343 really can remake it good, they just chose not to...

If you ask me, I believe Halo 4's music was a bit..heavy on the trumpet. :lol:

If they took the Halo Trilogy's sounds and made music with that, I'd be all over it.

Edited by Ryu♥Hayabusa
  • Like 1

I constantly boot up waypoint to listen to the music. Not to mention how often I listen to their remake in the Halo 4 credits. 343 really can remake it good, they just chose not to...

If you ask me, I believe Halo 4's music was a bit..heavy on the trumpet. :lol:

If they took the Halo Trilogy's sounds and made music with that, I'd be all over it.

I was thinking the same thing! That trumpet is a little OP...

But Chris is right, the other Halo games had some amazing music!

the final mission for halo 4s camapin was when it felt epic i miss martey as well so i think 343 need to bring so claassic tracks from other halos for halo 5 and include so new ones as well but clasics to remind u its still halo

That final mission brought tears to my eyes.. Halo 4 had such an epic campaign, very deep.

• Like 1

117, Arrival and Revival were pretty much the only ones that were as good as the old music. Even so, in terms of music the most epic moment was the credits with remake of... Never Forget? Can't remember the name, but it was awesome. The final mission was also really great, but in earlier Halos I felt the same way for almost the entire campaign. I hope they make the music more like the old music in Halo 5.

The reason the old music was so great was because when you heard it, you were thinking "oh thats Halo, definitly Halo" Neil Davidge did a fantastic job, no doubt, but we need familiar tunes like "roll call" from Halo 3, "never forget", The high charity suite from Halo 2, "Covenant Dance" and "Rock anthem for saving the world." And if none of those make it, at least all the songs that were on the Halo CE Main menu. I remember hearing that song that is so soft to the ears (the Violin one i cant remember its name) for the first time from the main menu. It is so nostalgic when I hear that song now a days. The ones from Halo 4 that are most memorable to me are "Arrival", "117", "Green and Blue", "Revival", and "Solace". and Out of those solace sounds the most beautiful. There are a couple of extra ost tracks that were not realeased for Halo 4 and some of them are really good as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listen to Marty's music form all the other Halos when I play Halo 4, I almost NEVER play Halo 4 without using Halo 2, 3, and ODST songs playing on my Xbox music player. It's better with Marty's music.

Aren't the sound effects turned off then? I would love it if I could have my music playing and have the gun sounds going.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree I didn't really feel the effect of the music changing as you do different things in this game much, compared to say Halo 1 or Halo 3.

While it would be nice to see some old favourites return in the future, I like the new direction and I think it suits Halo really well. A few more epic punches in the big moments wouldn't go amiss - they do have them, like the final third of "117", just wow - but the music the rest of the time brings the whole arc of the game together well I reckon.

In comparison to halo 4's campaign, I was having so much more fun. But I couldn't really figure out why. I chocked it up to nostalgia but then it hit me like a brick wall. 

It's the music.

Halo CE and Halo 2 had dynamic music in their campaigns. I'll give you a good example:

When fighting the several waves of covenant when first boarding the truth and reconciliation, Covenant Dance will start playing, when you kill the two hunters that spawn, the vocals kick in. It's little touches like that, that made the campaign in the older halos feel alive, I felt like the battle field was shaping itself to major things you accomplished in the campaign or reached a certain area.

I don't hate the sound track for halo 4, but it's just not the music I've come to expect from a halo game. Halo 4's campaign had a good story. That's it. The missions were rather dull and the music was largely forgettable except for the final level really. 

I really miss Marty.

I mean, i'd like to put this in my signature. That's exactly what i mean. The music...Reclaimer: Mammoth; no music when fighting? Seriously? Where's the feeling, where's the excitement?

I'm sorry, but Neil isn't as good as O'Donnell. I liked "Legacy" the most, followed by "117" and "Nemesis", but that's it. I couldn't really say i liked a soundtrack more than another one when O'Donnell was in charge.

• halo 1 had the most songs that i loved and still do
  • halo 2 had a few songs that was great
  • halo 3 had some
  • halo 4 had 1 and thats the multiplayer lobby music

What about ODST? Reach? And btw, Halo 2 and Halo 3 had pretty badass soundtracks. I can't choose between one of them. All of them are awesome.