ASSAULT RIFLES!!!

AnimalDenWinter

• 4 weeks later...

i know what you mean but you sound like right now is like all the others this is to op thats to op i have seen what happen to people but the best knowledge is bolt shot to the face i have been beaten many of times because of it so i know how you feel the best option is to copy the emmys or rang or bolt shot 

• 3 weeks later...

You're just not using your precision weapon right. If you go CQC against an AR with a precision weapon then no offense but that's pretty stupid. The AR's weakness is range. Use that effectively against an AR user, and go at long range. If you do that, he's gonna be helpless :)

If i may allow me to make a statement,

Now i have learned this through experience, the assault rifle is a short to mid ranged and if you burst it you can do high damage from a good distance.

Every weapon is powerful in its own way its a fifty fifty chance in a DMR vs Assault rifle fight it really depends on how the user is bursting it.

Now lets stop hating in the assault rifle and agree that the bilt shot it overpowered its like a shotgun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's the way that this thing has always gone (smilies added for sake of humor):

1) New Halo game comes out and has some kind of new AR included   :bananachief:

2) Players on multi avoid using it due to it being a lesser effective weapon in campaign with relatively sparse ammo   :boo:  

3) People complain about its generally perceived weakness or unreliability, because no one seems to use it   :unknw:   

4) The smart players stick with using it and improve their skills significantly as they adapt to the new game mechanics :chaingun:

5) Lesser skilled players begin whining about getting owned by people using the AR   :chaingun: :help:

6) AR gets nerfed in community patch, good players make due and STILL end up dominating, leading to more rage   :realmad:

7) Back to stage 1 :facepalm:

I've seen this go on ever since Halo 3 came out and I don't expect the mold will be broken anytime soon.  As for me, I've been a fan of the AR since Halo 1 on the PC.  And for those of you who began their Halo career on the Xbox and are raging over the AR now - you don't know how bad it was going against a skilled AR user on PC; back when the MA5B had 60 round mags instead of 32 and you could boost the ROF by reducing the sound quality.

It's a solid gun.  The best standard issue weapon you can come by in Halo.  And when used correctly, you can take it and rock the world.

My response to this topic is the same response I'd make to any thread dedicated to standard weapons being OP: if you hate dying by it, learn to use it and don't rage.  Or as Kennedy put it: "Don't get mad; get even."

Also - I'm not saying anyone on here is a whiner or rage quitter.  Rather, I'm encouraging you all not to be guilty of it :thumbsup:

My response to this topic is the same response I'd make to any thread dedicated to standard weapons being OP: if you hate dying by it, learn to use it and don't rage.  Or as Kennedy put it: "Don't get mad; get even."

And look what happened to that guy! In many games I refuse to use weapons out of honor. Some would call it spite, but I call it honor. :P

The thing I dislike about the AR is as follows. When I'm facing down two opponents with precision weapons of any nature I can take my DMR and 'nades and usually get one of them and occasionally get both. When facing down two ARs I die.  When I fight one on one against a precision weapon I can usually walk away with shields. When I fight one on one against an AR I'm nearly always taking health damage. I don't think it is a matter of weapon power, but the playstyle that is used with the weapon. When I get out DMR'd or BR'd I feel that I was outplayed. When I'm downed by an automatic weapon I don't feel that skill was a factor in that fight.

All that said, I do like a powerful AR. It entices less skilled players to keep or start playing and that inflates the player base. This leads to better connection speeds because of the large pool of players with which to put together in matchmaking. Better connection speeds means more fun games for me. It makes my precision weapons better!

My official stance on overpowered/underpowered weapons/abilities/classes/what-have-you

I think the best way to look at weapon balance is to observe how many people use which weapons. If a majority of the players are using a single weapon as their main weapon then it is probably deserving of a nerf. If a certain ability is almost never used by the community it is most likely deserving of a buff. If there are seven primary loadout weapons and two or three of them are used widely by the community then why have the others? 100% of players divided by 7 load-out weapons equals about 15% of players. That is how I believe a well balanced game would have its weapons disseminated among the players.

"Snipers are too OP, they keep one-shotting infantry!"

"Arty should be nerfed to hell, I mean they can just sit back and bomb my defenses from a distance!"

"WTF, Missile squads are broken! They wiped out all of my tanks!"

Look, as I'm the first one to stand up and shout what 343 did wrong, but I'll give credit where it's due.

They've given us an AR worth using since CE. It's no way near overpowered.

You said it yourself, they beat you at CQC. Where the hell else should they beat you?

Can't stand the heat? Then get out of the fire.

It's not the AR that's OP, it's your inability to adapt that makes the enemy OP.

What do you honestly expect to happen when you charge in to CQC with an AR wielder?

Look, the only feedback you'll get is what you're doing wrong, because that's where the problem is. It has nothing to do with the AR being "Over powered"

Hello it's me here. Recently, i have been raging a bit, due to people using ASSAULT RIFLES!! Whenever I oppose an enemy with an

Assault Rifle, they always win. I personally think 343 overpowered the Assault Rifle. No offence to people who use it, but I think people 

who use Assault Rifles generally are too wimpish to actually oppose an enemy in a 1v1, and are scared they will lose. This is ruining the online gaming experience on Halo 4.

PS: As I said, I have no means to offend people who do use it. :)

Please leave feedback on what you think. :)

So you mean to say that you mean no offense, but use the word "wimpish" to describe AR users? The AR is a good short-to-long range rifle. It has drawbacks, same as every weapon, and just because it works and its not a BR or DMR that makes it "wimpish". Its fully automatic, is not headshot capable, and has a comparatively short range... so how is it that people say it is a sub-par weapon. You have to make your shots count, because you can't just fire four times and get the kill. It takes consistency, whereas BRs and DMRs only really have to make their last shots count and dont have to worry about spread affecting how many rounds hit their target.

You're just not using your precision weapon right. If you go CQC against an AR with a precision weapon then no offense but that's pretty stupid. The AR's weakness is range. Use that effectively against an AR user, and go at long range. If you do that, he's gonna be helpless :)

You say that like this is a strategy game, where we can scout and know what everyone is using, where everyone is, and how good everything is. You can't know whose going to have an AR on your radar. You can't chose what weapon to fight against. You just find someone and hope your weapon (and your skills) is better than his for the situation.

The AR fires a 7.62mm round, the same round as the Kalashnikov AK-47 AR. There is no reason for this weapon to be Underpowered,  the round is very big compared to a 5.56 round used in an M4 Carbine, M16, Ar-15, and numerous weapons. The round has every excuse to be powerful.  The round having so much kinetic energy results to massive recoil, which means it's hard to use over long ranges.  ( Even though there's no bullet drop in Halo)

But in the game world, the AR is also easily  defeated over range. Because precision weapons like the DMR and BR are..well...precision weapons.  So in close quarter engagements the Assault Rifle wins because it's an automatic, more bullets to miss with. Just back up and  shoot, use grenades if you can. Don't get close because most likely your shields are probably half depleted, and your opponent would get an easy melee. 

You say that like this is a strategy game, where we can scout and know what everyone is using, where everyone is, and how good everything is. You can't know whose going to have an AR on your radar. You can't chose what weapon to fight against. You just find someone and hope your weapon (and your skills) is better than his for the situation.

That's what you get for using a long-range weapon. If you put yourself in a poistion where you will engage in CQC, you damn well better be able to kill the other guy with that weapon.

That's what you get for using a long-range weapon. If you put yourself in a poistion where you will engage in CQC, you damn well better be able to kill the other guy with that weapon.

Well what are you supposed to do when you see someone on your radar? Run in the opposite direction to put distance between you and your opponent? What if he has a sniper rifle and he just takes advantage of the distance? Or what if he has a needler and just needles you to death? That's the thing, you can never know what he has. That's the only reason shotguns are good. Is that people don't know you have a shotgun.

Well what are you supposed to do when you see someone on your radar? Run in the opposite direction to put distance between you and your opponent? What if he has a sniper rifle and he just takes advantage of the distance? Or what if he has a needler and just needles you to death? That's the thing, you can never know what he has. That's the only reason shotguns are good. Is that people don't know you have a shotgun.

It's up to you to decide what to do. Make a guess based on what weapon you think they have.

It has nothing to do with the weapons, it's about how you as a player choose to engage using those weapons and how other people use their weapons.

It's up to you to decide what to do. Make a guess based on what weapon you think they have.

It has nothing to do with the weapons, it's about how you as a player choose to engage using those weapons and how other people use their weapons.

Exactly, which is why its never your choice to attack an AR user. It was your choice to attack the player.

Exactly, which is why its never your choice to attack an AR user. It was your choice to attack the player.

Assuming you die, you know what that enemy used and where he is headed. With said knowledge, you can easily pick your engagements in an educated manner. Assuming the match has just begun, you should use Promethean Vision to scout the enemy's direction and weapons. Same goes for a JiP. If you aren't able to see their weapon clearly enough, cancel the scan and get closer. If you still can't, invest in an HDMI cable. XD But seriously, PV solves this problem easily enough. As does a single and wisely expended death.

Alternatively, if you hate PV and don't want to die, use Thruster Pack with Mobility to pop out and get hit with his weapon once or twice. Thruster Pack should get you right back into cover while Mobility will allow you to escape if you need to. By doing this, you have avoided dying and don't have to use PV. Heck, you can try without TP as well, but make sure you have mobility for escape if the situation sucks.

Attack does not have to end with the defeat of a side. It can end in retreat.

• 2 months later...