Is touching people bad?

Stab Stab Stab

Don't take the title inappropriately, I just mean being physical during conversations, like patting someones back when they're upset or putting your hand on their shoulder. I've been told I do that a lot while conversing with people and I never noticed before but it's true and now I can't stop thinking about it! Do any of you do it? Is it a bad thing?

well it depends on what it is about and where it is like stated above. If it's at a funeral give the person a pat on the back and make them feel better for a few days. if they are happy give them  a high five or something. it also depends on if the person likes to be touched or not. i don't care if people touch me as long as it isn't like punching or kicking like people do to me on my bus or two kids do to me in my first class of the day. any ways it just really depends on what the situation is. over all for me i think it's ok. and for your friend it really isn't too weird. maybe for him it is but not other people. just ask him if he likes to be touched in a conversation or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a pretty interesting topic.

There is such a thing as being over touchy. For instance, it's not usually common-place for men to touch each other except in moments of celebration (i.e. fist bumps, etc), and it's iffy on men/women convos. 

Also, some people just don't like being touched, or are picky about who they let touch them. These people will usually either let you know or look very uncomfortable. Other people think it's odd for people to not touch during conversation.

It's a completely situation dependent thing, so I'm afraid you'll have to learn as you go. However, if you go by "when in doubt, don't touch", it should make things easier.

• Like 3