Do you think halo 4 is better than halo 3?

paulliu

Halo 3 had far better maps. Since there were no ordnance drops you had to fight to control power weapons and move strategically through the map. Example: The Pit. Most people tried to keep control of the energy sword and the building it was found in by huddling in the small room, although the sword wielder could be flushed out by tossing grenades through the window near the ceiling on either side. Now you can just spawn a scattershot and take out anyone you see on radar if they're close enough.

I could keep going on about why Halo 3 is better but this argument is really all that's needed. Maps are everything.

halo 4 shouldn't even be called halo as its disgarded everything great about halo. to suggest halo 4 could be in the same bracket as halo 3 is a joke. halo 3 has better maps better gameplay and worth the money to buy. halo 4 is a cod game with a halo skin and 343 should be ashamed of the mess they have created

• Like 1

Wrong, bungieown343. Halo4 is a HALO game on steroids with a COD skin. No less, no more.

Game is nothing like CoD. You clearly don't understand either game. As someone who plays both on a regular basis.

I feel H3 is a better game than H4.

I feel that H4's gameplay itself has some advantages over H3. It feels a bit tighter, in some ways more polished, and the weapon variety is nicer in some ways (but not in others).

However, I feel H3 is pretty much a "flawless game". As has been stated, its maps are phenomenal. It's massive step forward with Forge and Theater among other things are to this day truly impressive for the time. It's playlists rocked, and the ranking system worked. There are very few things about H3 I could look at and want to change.

H4 is different. I like it quite a bit. I feel it got a few things right really well. Some things not so much. It's sort of an extreme version of the game, in both directions. It's better in some ways, and weaker in others. As a result, I would call 3 the better game.

I feel H4 is missing just another layer of something to become truly great, perfect as 3 was. Better even. It's just missing a few key things, and has some excess that could be shaved off, but at its core, it's a great Halo. It's been described before as a diamond in the rough. I would agree with this. I would say H3 is a smaller diamond, but polished perfectly.

• Like 1

halo is basicaly cod with some touchups the matchmaking atleast. Get rid of sheilds and add some  killstreaks more guns walla!. i had friends who never played a halo game pick this up and say its a futureistic cod. 

oh and i own mostly all the cod's to.

but i will say with 343 past updates little by littles its going back to halo but Little.

Edited by TornadoFlame

halo 4 shouldn't even be called halo as its disgarded everything great about halo. to suggest halo 4 could be in the same bracket as halo 3 is a joke. halo 3 has better maps better gameplay and worth the money to buy. halo 4 is a cod game with a halo skin and 343 should be ashamed of the mess they have created

Well said.

Halo 3 was much much better than Halo 4, it was also much much better than Halo Reach though and better than Halo 2 as well. I'm not going to list all the ways in which H4 is terrible and H3 was awesome, but H4 is just a cookie-cutter shooter in a time when there are lots of options for Console FPS games. H3 was a trailblazing game (So was H2, but it came with a lot of serious failings from the technology available at the time), it was the first of certain weight class in the genre and the last really spectacular Halo game. H4 is just a frankenstein cobbled together from other games.

It's only fair to note that the market is different though, H3 launched largely devoid of competition. There weren't other shooters out there that looked as good or played as smooth, but H4 is coming out in a market with several major titles in the shooter market. There are multiple CoD games still being played on XBL, Crysis is similar to Halo in a lot of ways that might mess with both of their audiences, and I personally think BF3 would be a lot more popular if EA weren't its publisher (Not that people all know to shun EA, but EA makes just logging into a game offensive, I expect Crysis will have similar problems).

Combine that with the uniformity that's sort of plaguing the market right now, and it's important to point out that H4 grew up in a harsher world than H3. That doesn't make it better though, it just makes it clearly more challenging to succeed. There are two things you can do growing up in a tough environment: Cave in and become a nothing and a nobody, or overcome your challenges and turn them into strengths. Halo 4 did the former, it just gave up, broke down, and beat up Rihanna. It sold well, but we see through the numbers.

It didn't appeal to me.

Sounds like you got into it pretty late though, which is always a tough time to start playing a competitive multiplayer shooter.

In addition to everyone having the DLC enough to make the playlists require DLC, players who were still playing would have been a bit hardcore, and you would have missed out on the familiarization period that exists at the beginning shortly after a game's release.

I'm not saying your experiences are at all illegitimate, because if I were considering picking up H3 or another older game now and trying to enjoy its multiplayer, I'd want to ask someone like you who got there late too. However if I wanted someone to give me a review of a game to see whether it was a good game in general, I would want to ask someone who had been playing it from its release or shortly thereafter.

I got my bro BF3 for Christmas, and he has been REALLY struggling with the high learning curve in that game. When I got into it they were still releasing patches and DLC a lot, and it wasn't too far into its life. He's just gotten into it in the last week or so, which means he's up against a bunch of hardcore fans who have all the DLC and 1.5 YEARS of playing and practice with a varied arsenal. I remember in one game he said "I just don't see how you get good at this game..." and I remembered feeling the exact same way when I started, but it's probably even worse now that so few people are at his level of new-ness. I remember I tried just playing recon and calling things out for him one game, but even my callouts were a little advanced.

• Like 1

Halo 3 was actually a better game than you think.

If you played It when It first came out

then you can tell what I am saying.

I love Halo 3 because of the graphics,

not saying they are the best but there Is something about them.

Plus Halo 3 taught me how to have fun, and wining Isnt about everything In a game.

Halo 4 Is an alright game.

It doesnt suck.

But will I keep playing It?

Yes, I will.

I will keep playing It because, I love Halo.

Not matter who Halo gets given up to

that wont stop me from playing It and having fun while all of you are crying over everything.

What makes Halo 4 better is this.

First off the campaign is stunning. Visually, audibly and story are just amazing. Halo 3 had the momentum of previous titles to back up its hype, but essentially what you have is a brand new company taking a story in a new direction. With nothing but the imagination of a crack team, I'd say they more than succeeded.

Spartan Ops let me down. Well... Let me rephrase that. Episodes 1-5 did. Episodes 6-10 were amazing. The ending left me wanting more and the body count was through the roof. The existence of free DLC taking the campaign even further to bridge the gap between Halo 4 and Halo 5 is already worth more than Halo 3 because it offered none of these options.

War Games. While some would still make the CoD argument for some dumb reason I will say this. None of it is actually bad. It's just preference. It's so different it's like comparing goldeneye to gears of war. Sure the objectives of both games are to kill people but its a brand new engine and for what it's worth isn't bad. Certain Affinity worked on Halo maps since the days of Halo 2. Suggesting that Halo 4's maps are sub par is a moot point because you're still referring to the same developer. And many of Halo 3's maps were rehashed from previous Halo titles anyway. 343i listens to fans. They resurrected lockout and it was entirely free. They are listening to their fan base. A BS nerf is also proof of this. So people complaining about something that I basically preference anyway just illustrates how ignorant they really are. It's not a winning or losing argument it's simply preference.

Theatre let me down. Mostly because I couldn't capture the campaign or Spartan Ops. I understand that it wouldn't be realistic to capture the campaign and be able to review something happening "real time" but that's an option I would've sacrificed as a game developer for functionality over realism.

Armor. Okay, maybe Halo Reach spoiled me but I think the Helmets particularly look like Grade A horse crap. They just look so goofy. Like the Recon helmet. It looked so cool in Halo 3 but in Halo 4 they put in these weird cheek guard things that just make it look like a joke. More than a handful of armor permutations look like garbage. So in that regard I will give Halo 3 the tip of the hat.

All in all, I would say Halo 4 is better. But once again that's just my preference. There is no ultimate way of telling which one is the better game. Just which one you would prefer to play more. People who are bashing and whining like school girls with bad report cards will say the same thing when Halo 5 comes out. "Oh well I remember Halo 4 was WAY better" puh lease.

• Like 1

Halo 3 had far better maps. Since there were no ordnance drops you had to fight to control power weapons and move strategically through the map. Example: The Pit. Most people tried to keep control of the energy sword and the building it was found in by huddling in the small room, although the sword wielder could be flushed out by tossing grenades through the window near the ceiling on either side. Now you can just spawn a scattershot and take out anyone you see on radar if they're close enough.

I could keep going on about why Halo 3 is better but this argument is really all that's needed. Maps are everything.

If you added sprint to Halo 3, the pit would play out just like it would in Halo 4. There's more to factor in than just map layouts. 

• 1 year later...

We want recon now
UWe want recon now
I have been playing halo3 for about 3 to 4 years and never got recon I'm going to try to get enough people help me where 343industries will start unlocking ****en recon again
I have been playing halo3 for about 3 to 4 years and never got recon I'm going to try to get enough people help me where 343industries will start unlocking ****en recon again

Edited by Minnesota Nice
Thread locked, please do not revive dead threads.