Why did the UNSC never try chemical/bio weapons?

Benchimus

Wasnt sure where to post this but the topic says it all. I dont think any kind of weapons of war ban would matter when it comes to fighting aliens bent on your total annihilation. Over the decades that the war went on, why didnt some scientist of Halsey's caliber (although more in the field of biology and such) create some kind of bio weapon tailored to the Elites? Surely they came across enough dead bodies and possibly captured enough live ones to experiment on to come up with some kind highly contagious and deadly disease or something. Idk, just a thought.

I doubt the UNSC would ever go as far as trying to infect the covenant with a disease. That could turn into a genocide if not controlled or kept in check and I doubt that's something the government would even risk. Although I do wonder why the UNSC didn't use a Nuke until Halo 4. You think they would have tried to hit High Charity with a Nuke.

I doubt the UNSC would ever go as far as trying to infect the covenant with a disease. That could turn into a genocide if not controlled or kept in check and I doubt that's something the government would even risk. Although I do wonder why the UNSC didn't use a Nuke until Halo 4. You think they would have tried to hit High Charity with a Nuke.

If I remember correctly, in the books they did. They intentionally let a NOVA nuke (that they had rigged to explode when an engineer messed with it) get captured. I think the planet it went off on was a staging base for the covenant. IIRC, the planet was rendered uninhabitable.

Well aside from a Nuke I think biological warfare is something that the UNSC thinks themselves above it. Using bio warfare to the degree of manufacturing diseases is kind of extreme and more of a last measure when nothing else is working because of the possibility I said earlier.

But, the games don't exactly follow the books. I'm talking in the game's story line not anything from the books.

The games do follow the books. The only game that doesn't is Reach and that's because it's contradictory to the story but aside from that all the other games follow the books. And they did use nukes during the war, they even constructed one that could destroy a planet.

Using a bio-weapon would have been more dangerous to the UNSC than it would be to the Covenant. It seems to me that it would be more likely to escape and destroy humanity than successfully cripple or defeat the Covenant. A manufactured disease's only use is when defeat is inevitable and you no longer care about self-preservation, only about causing pain for everyone. They are the epitome of evil.

It would be a massive waste of resources.

How would they deliver it?

How would it transmit?

How long would it take to kill?

How visible is it?

How long does it take for elites to become immune?

And the Covenant was never above glassing it's own troops to prevent the spread of a fatal disease.

Now compare that to a nuke.

Biological warfare is... uncertain at best. You have to figure out a way to infect your enemy while at the same time providing your own troops/people an immunity to said toxin/gas/chemical. Wouldnt do much good if you killed off your own people too.

Tailoring a virus/gas/toxin to do such a thing is unbelievably difficult. Not to mention the possible variations of the alien DNA/genetic structure which could make only a portion of the species vulnerable to said virus/gas/toxin. More over the Covenant is made up of various species which complicates the matter further. Do you design it with the intent to kill everything in the Covenant or just a select species?

How do you introduce said virus/gas/toxin to the battlefield? What kind of effects might it have on different planets with different ecological developments?

There are just so many factors in biological warfare that you have to take into account that it is nearly unpredictable. Your just as likely to destroy yourself as you are your enemy and or whatever the environment around you.

• Like 1

They had nerve gas; its seen on crates in halo 2.

Nukes they had many. For instance, the one that destroyed Cote D'Azur it what ever it was called.

Gas I think they used, but bio-weapons would be a last resort.

In The Thursday War, they begin testing altered food on Jul, they were going to spread a virus into the Sangheili food chain; it would make them all sick and have diarrhoea. Nice, I know. This was post-war, remember.

First off, the Bio weapon would only ever infect one species. Secondly, it would only affect a very controlled area, even with a super weapon, all they could infect is a whole planet. I am pretty sure the UNSC has gased covenant barracks, and then sent in HAZOP kill teams to dispose of the grunts. (Who gas would not effect.) the fact that sanghellios is the home world of the elites is the only reason ONI is trying to use a bio weapon.

I would think that after the flood most bio-weapons would probably frowned upon by everyone.

Before that I would say that a bio weapon might become far less useful when the enemy is scattered across hundreds (thousands?) of planets and can jump to any of them in a few hours.

Edited by WonderWombat

Leads me to an interesting thought. Would the Didact be so bold as to unleash the Flood on mankind as he could just set off the Halos after to restart everything again and assure Forerunner ascendancy?

He believes humans brought the Flood to the Forerunners so I doubt he would hesitate.