New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games, says report

SuperIntendant

With just two weeks to go until we "see the future" of PlayStation, we're starting to hear more details on the future of Xbox. Edge magazine reports that Microsoft's new console will require an internet connection with activation codes for games on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs. Citing sources with "first-hand experience" of the new Xbox console, Edge says it's likely that purchased games will not be able to be resold.

We've heard rumors about Microsoft's Blu-ray plans and an anti-used-game system before, but an activation system coupled with an online requirement sounds like a key way to prevent piracy for the next-generation of console games. If Microsoft locks out the second-hand market for its next Xbox console then that will not sit well with a number of gamers, so we'd hope that Microsoft has plans to support game sharing somehow.

Edge also backs up previous rumors that an AMD CPU will power the next Xbox, but doesn't shed light on any further specifications. Microsoft is widely expected to fully detail its next-generation Xbox at E3 in the summer, with a release date later this year.

Text taken from The Verge

Link to the original article:

http://www.theverge....ion-codes-rumor

If this is true then that means that you would not be able to play your xbox if you lose connection to the internet and you would have to be online to play any game. While this would get rid of the predatory used game industry, which is probably a good thing, it would turn many people off of the new console. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Edited by SuperIntendant

It could work in one of two ways:

1. The game would constantly require an internet connection to play and it would cut out if you lose that connection.

2. When you first try to play the game it would first check it's servers to make sure that your specific disc hasn't been used before, it would then register the game on your console allowing you to always play it in the future. Like a one time entrance kind of thing.

How about when you pay for a used game, the retailer gives a new activation code.....

The retailer is the cause of this who thing. If they gave the devs a cut of used game sales then they wouldn't care. The problem is that if you currently buy a used game not a cent goes to the people who actually made it and instead all of the money goes to the store that sells it.

The retailer is the cause of this who thing. If they gave the devs a cut of used game sales then they wouldn't care. The problem is that if you currently buy a used game not a cent goes to the people who actually made it and instead all of the money goes to the store that sells it.

Yea and seeing as a good number of people buy used games the money Dev's miss out on can pile up. I dont think it would end well for Playstation or Xbox if they only allowed new games. If Microsoft really wanted to do something against used games why not just everything themselves? Its not like they are lacking in bank.

i see the always a connection to internet can be a issue

but how i see they do it with the used game maket is to have digital games like steam,

i think that would be the best and if you buy a new game in store you get a pre paid code like XBOX live codes that you enter and then download the game

in that way they can get rid of the used game market and also they can lower the price on the game if they dont need to make DVDs (but i really hope then that they add the old games so they don't get lost when they are 6 years and sell bad)

but i really don't want to get rid of used games because that's the only way to get old games like you can't get the game TWO WORLD on the stores any more

If anything changes in the way we purchase and play games, it will not be a MS only thing...everyone wants the used game market to get killed. Gaming is going to change, period, we just dont know how yet. I see something happening like Games will have a product key, like most computer software, and it has to ge activated, similar to most MS software now. You log into your profile on XBOX Live, activate your game, then the game will only work if that profile is signed in on whatever console. Like it will tie the game to YOU. Most Downloaded games work this way now. When I purchased Minecraft for xbox, I downlaoded it on all my consoles, the game works for every profile on the xbox it was purchased from no matter what, but the other consoles, my profile has to be signed in before the game will start, then I can sign out and let the kids sign in to play. This is the direction I see every console going in the future.

Personally, I dont see the big game makers deal with the used game market, I mean if they want to make it illegal (and they do) to sell used games....then only to be fare, we should not be able to buy used cars, used furniture, used clothing, used records, or used ANYTHING. Cause GM didnt make a DIME when I purchesed my wifes 1995 Z28, and I guess thats just not fare. I think me, you and anyone else should be free to do whatever the hell we want with what we purchase after we pay our hard earned money for it, PERIOD.

If I have to have a constant internet connection to be able to play and can't buy used games then I will not be buying the new console. I don't always want to pay $60 for a game I don't know if I'll like and then I won't be able to return it if I don't like it. Gamefly will go out of business pretty quickly once the 360 and PS3 start to get out dated. This will be a bad move for the video game industry IMO. If this does happen I will not buy another console past the 360 or PS3.

i hope that this intert cocction thing dosent happen but i dont mind to much but the second hand games thing is aload of ****** what happens if u buy the newest halo get it out the box and drop it and it breaks yay need to pay the same price agin if these rumors become true then

TIME TO BECOME A PC GAMER

also i hope micsoft realise that if they do this they will not have as much sales

It's quite impossible to stop used games with no drawbacks or gamesharing. They want to put out a code for one console per game? What do I do if I have to buy a new console? Well, I'm not buying Halo 5 again, hell no. Put out a code for one profile per game? Might just let my buddy recover my account to play it. Either way, something is majorly wrong and has dumb drawbacks that make the whole system useless or worthless.

That is why used games will never be stopped unless the law steps in. Frankly, why would they?

• 3 weeks later...

soo this is going to like  xbox arcade games licenses? but in xbox games, play station cofirmed that the new ps4 will no block used games, i hope the new xbox will not, and if it will block i'm going to become a pc gamer again or buy the steam console. ( the steam console promise but not sure at 100%).

Most likely, the "Always On" connection is an effort to stop people from using modified Xbox's.  If an always on connection is required to play, that also suggests that a connection is needed to be there when the Xbox boots up.  If this feature was included, it would almost with 100% certainty, prevent Jtags of the future as well as mod chipped consoles.  While this is a good thing, it can be bad as an unknown number of gamers out there, may not be able to afford Live or internet, and play strictly offline 100% of the time.

As far as second hand discs go, there are a number ways to make this work, and why it would be a good thing.  I don't really feel like posting a huge expo on this, so I'll just continue to watch you guys hash it out, and jump in when I finally see a response that is close enough or heading in the right direction.  Think people think!