Slums

IR3CON

GT: IR3CON ST34LTH

Map: Slums

Recommended party size: 12

Description: Slums is a middle sized map that works with every gametype except griffball and extraction.

The whole map takes place on a hill which is where the name slums comes from. The teams will initially spawn at either sides of the middle of the map. Having height advantage isn't as much of an advantage as you may think. There are corridors and shortcuts that allow you to quickly move around the map.

There are 2 warthogs and 4 mongooses for fast travel.

Also a zipline is present on the map and that will take you from the very top of the slum, to the bottom.

I recommend playing infection with my Custom Gametype - NecroFlood... or try it out with CTF or infinity slayer.

CGT KOTH: Jugg

post-55757-0-94384800-1359931316.jpg

post-55757-0-20699600-1359931319.jpg

post-55757-0-45801300-1359931321.jpg

post-55757-0-00631700-1359931324.jpg

post-55757-0-47549500-1359931326.jpg

post-55757-0-67993100-1359931328.jpg

post-55757-0-41674900-1359931331.jpg

post-55757-0-81742300-1359931336.jpg

post-55757-0-17368500-1359931340.jpg

post-55757-0-26212400-1359931343.jpg

• Like 1

OK so I've had a good look around and this is what I think...

Things I like:

-I really like the way you used the natural rocks of impact to help give shape to your map, this was done well.

-I liked the large central room; I think it had a decent flow to it and would make for some fun moments in game.

-I liked the way the map was laid out, A-symmetrical maps can be difficult to do.

-I also liked your use of monitors as windows.

Things I didn't like / didn't understand:

-The inclines are just way too steep for their size, the height variation is just too much to the point where it would become a hindrance in a competitive game.

-The aesthetic pieces you have put in the map such as pallets, barricades and dominion pieces add too much clutter to the map, which outweighs any kind of aesthetic benefit those pieces create for the map.

-All the dead ends aren't a good idea. A lot of the rooms have only got one way in or out which will lead to frustrating gameplay. A good map always has a nice flow to it, with at least two ways in and out of each room.

-The little tunnels and gaps in the walls are a bit too numerous as well, just one of two in key points of the map should be plenty.

-It was also way to easy to get to places that I shouldn't have been able to get to, such as rooftops.

Things that need some work:

-The spawning looks too simple, especially for the amount of game types you have set the map up for. If you take a look at some of the 343 maps, or even better, some bungie maps, you will appreciate how complex things can get.

-The kill boundaries need some work, it was really easy to get outside the map and the safe boundary is too low for jet packers. There is a place inside the map that isn't soft killed but probably should be.

-The zip line is a really cool idea, but it wasn't implemented into the map that well. It's a big sightline blocker and doesn't make a very good center piece for the map.

-Some of the walkways are quite narrow which will create awkward situations when you are playing against people.

-The map is too small and to restrictive for vehicles, while it is possible to drive around the map, it would be very difficult to manage in a game with people shooting at you. I don't think many people would use the vehicles.

-I would also encourage you to think about weapons on map and what effect each weapon would have on game play and then positioning the weapon accordingly. The weapon placement seems a little bit random in some cases here.

Overall I think there are some really good ideas present in this map, but you need to work on how those ideas are put together to create the map as a whole. None of the elements in the map really fit well together. they are all there but they aren't linked well enough.

You've got to think about the effects that things will have on gameplay and how players will behave because of it. Cause and effect. Risk vs Reward.

Don't take all this criticism to hard, like I said you've got some really good ideas, just keep working at piecing them together in the right way.

And don't forget it's all about "The Flow"

• Like 1

OK so I've had a good look around and this is what I think...

Things I like:

-I really like the way you used the natural rocks of impact to help give shape to your map, this was done well.

-I liked the large central room; I think it had a decent flow to it and would make for some fun moments in game.

-I liked the way the map was laid out, A-symmetrical maps can be difficult to do.

-I also liked your use of monitors as windows.

Things I didn't like / didn't understand:

-The inclines are just way too steep for their size, the height variation is just too much to the point where it would become a hindrance in a competitive game.

-The aesthetic pieces you have put in the map such as pallets, barricades and dominion pieces add too much clutter to the map, which outweighs any kind of aesthetic benefit those pieces create for the map.

-All the dead ends aren't a good idea. A lot of the rooms have only got one way in or out which will lead to frustrating gameplay. A good map always has a nice flow to it, with at least two ways in and out of each room.

-The little tunnels and gaps in the walls are a bit too numerous as well, just one of two in key points of the map should be plenty.

It was also way to easy to get to places that I should have been able to get to, such as rooftops.

Things that need some work:

-The spawning looks too simple, especially for the amount of game types you have set the map up for. If you take a look at some of the 343 maps, or even better, some bungie maps, you will appreciate how complex things can get.

-The kill boundaries need some work, it was really easy to get outside the map and the safe boundary is too low for jet packers. There is a place inside the map that isn't soft killed but probably should be.

-The zip line is a really cool idea, but it wasn't implemented into the map that well. It's a big sightline blocker and doesn't make a very good center piece for the map.

-Some of the walkways are quite narrow which will create awkward situations when you are playing against people.

-The map is too small and to restrictive for vehicles, while it is possible to drive around the map, it would be very difficult to manage in a game with people shooting at you. I don't think many people would use the vehicles.

-I would also encourage you to think about weapons on map and what effect each weapon would have on game play and then positioning the weapon accordingly. The weapon placement seems a little bit random in some cases here.

Overall I think there are some really good ideas present in this map, but you need to work on how those ideas are put together to create the map as a whole. None of the elements in the map really fit well together. they are all there but they aren't linked well enough.

You've got to think about the effects that things will have on gameplay and how players will behave because of it. Cause and effect. Risk vs Reward.

Don't take all this criticism to hard, like I said you've got some really good ideas, just keep working at piecing them together in the right way.

And don't forget it's all about "The Flow"

You have my dear appreciation for taking your time writing this out :D

I took some of the points into consideration and applied various changes to the map.

The sniper rifle is now located in a small tunnel that connect the 2 rooms which used to have 1 entrance.

I also want to playtest the map first before I do anything to the spawns and as for the aesthetic feel of the map, I started removing and placing more objects in a different way.

The ramps also have a 15* incline in order to get rid of all the bumpy-ness of the map. I hope this will encourage vehicle use a bit more, but at the same time I don't want them to dominate the map which is why the turns are tight.

The zip line stays! ;A; ... XD

• Like 1