Gun Control

NJL

I have not seen anything discussing this so i figured why not...

Anyways my personal view on it, universal background check/checks in general, thats not gun control thats common sense.. USA has a lot of real morons im wondering why i live here. Then again, parts of the country arent so bad. i agree that we should have better gun control procedure but this is a proven fact, it's not going to stop anything. in Chicago, there's a ban on guns everywhere yet they reached their milestone of 500 homicides involving firearms. it wont even stop mass shootings from happening.

Me personally, i own 2 guns .45 cal 1911 and a semi-auto M-16 you dont see me going out shooting people flashing it all over the place. Myself and many others are prime examples of responsible gun owners but as many as there are responsible, there are equal or more that are irresponsible. just a take on what everyone thinks.

yes there should be stricter gun laws but the way the government (american) is approaching it, its more so along the lines of common sense and this should have been done a long time ago.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I may not be in the States, but I think it may want to be enforced... All those innocent deaths have to be a BIG wake up call

Its not that it isnt enforced. When people are caught breaking the laws they get punished simple as that. The problem is catching them in the first place. People are becoming increasingly clever in obtaining weapons that they shouldnt have.

While the laws might need to be updated a bit that still wont stop people from buying a gun when they shouldnt be able to. They always find ways around it if they are really serious about getting one. Just like any other law really.

In my opinion..Assault weapons should be completely banned.

Any other weapons need to be closely monitored, with a limit on how many guns and ammo you can have at any one time.

In Aus, weapon restrictions are REALLY tough....thats why we rarely have school shootings or other such tragedies...

But i also know our system would be VERY difficult if not impossible for the US to enforce.

• Like 2

whats the point of gun controll all your really going to do is stop the law abiding citizens from buying these guns. the Criminals can still get them if they want.. Assault rifles are already banned. the problem is They should have been banned them years ago Now so many people have them theres no way you can ban them. But I find it silly when the goverment talks about banning them when there bodygaurds have these military grade weapons to protect them.

My opinion with this is simple. They shouldn't change gun control laws but rather should change the environment to where these massacring maniacs can no longer go into a school unopposed and such. These criminals know that they can do whatever they want at schools because there is no system in place to stop them. I think the way to go would be to station full time police in the schools (and maybe even giving them access to shotguns or "assault weapons").

Also I don't think that it is correct to counter one evil (school shootings) with another evil (ban on guns). Let's be honest here someone could go into a school with ANY kind of gun and inflict an unacceptable number of casualties. Any regulation on any type of weapons is a slippery slope. In 3 years they'll be calling for the complete ban of all firearms all together.

Though I do think that this topic hasn't been posted on here before for good reason. Passionate Americans simply will not be able to discuss such a polemical topic in a quiet manner... I know that it's hard for me too...

The simple facts are...

We had an assault weapons ban, it expired. During that time gun violence went UP. Its also very, very rare that a firearm is acuired legally when used in a crime. So, gun control laws are a waist of time and money. Not to mention the REAL numbers when it comes to assualt and murder. The number one thing used to kill in the US is a baseball bat, dont see anyone needing back ground checks to buy those. Why are they still legal if we use them the most to kill people. Sure, we can make it illegal for law abiding people to own firearms, but guess what, the criminals in this country will still have them, period. And if you think somehow we can pass a law and all guns will be gone tomorrow, guess what, these crazy idiots will find a different method to kill people. The blame lies with the people, not the guns, period.

Also, every one of these mass shootings has occured at a so called GUN FREE ZONE.

And you guys realise they are trying to ban Assualt rifles...based on the shock from the CT shooting....Hand guns were used for that one. This is all an excuse by the gov to put people in a place that they cannot defend themselves from a tyrantic goverment.

• Like 6

My opinion on gun control is that there are three types of crimes, convenience killing(man that guy at work really made me angry today I'll show him!), targeted 'hits'(Heavily planned killings normally gang stuff), and mass shootings(also heavily planned). 2 and 3 are difficult to stop since the people behind them are willing to go to extraordinary measures to get the materials they need and likely have their minds set on what they're doing. However the most common one, the first one, could probably be avoided by a month or so long waiting period since then whatever issue the person has will have probably resolved itself or the person will have calmed down.

As for dealing with 3 there isn't any clear cut way. Probably the best way would be going after ammunition and reducing magazine size. However I'm also in favor of a ban on Assault Weapons because there is no reason not to, they can't be used for hunting, are irrelevant in home defense, and it's not like they are just carried around enough by standard civilians to be effectively used against shooters in public.

EDIT: In response to Doc's remark about the tyrannical government thing, due to the size and strength of the US military any armed uprising would be crushed instantly, if you wanted a fair fight you would have to also legalize Tanks, RPGs, Fighter Jets, Anti Ar Missiles, and nuclear bombs. A few hicks armed with semi-automatic AR-15s wouldn't have much of a chance against an FA-22 Raptor, a B-2, a Missile Cruiser, or even just a properly trained army unit. Also if you are really worried up a tyrannical government than we are clearly doing this whole Democracy thing wrong.

Edited by SuperIntendant
  • Like 1

And you guys realise they are trying to ban Assualt rifles...based on the shock from the CT shooting....Hand guns were used for that one. This is all an excuse by the gov to put people in a place that they cannot defend themselves from a tyrantic goverment.

True and not true. i was watching a video couple of months back. Basically stating there was more than one shooter and the shots on the kids from the examiner were from an assualt weapon. not sure but media only gets pieces parts of it never the entire thing.

I believe that people who have...psychological problems should not have guns, because that may cause them to do things, which are what a lot of gun cases are, they are either mentally gone or are depressed, and it causes stupid things, so i think before they get a gun, they should have a week to wait while people can check their medical records and so they have no past history of gun abuse or mental issues, or, if they have moved past it and being cured, they should be allowed it then.

• Like 1

First off, the word "Assault" is just a word. You need a Class 3 license to own a fully automatic weapon. And there's already heavy, heavy restrictions, fines and backround checks to obtain one of those. Let alone the price tag for a full auto on the common market. An "assault" rifle in the eyes of anti-gun supporters is a high cap mag, semi-auto, rail-supported weapon. But it really doesn't matter how many bullets a rifle can hold, a person can simply reload a mag in 3 seconds. Semi-auto doest make a weapon more devastating, I can shoot just as well with a bolt action. and rail supports are just for toys to put on a rifle. I've spent my time in the infantry, just be glad you don't have killers walking around with 7.62 240B Light machine guns.

I live in Chicago and the local news is absolutely depressing. Hearing gunshots is not uncommon in the dead of night or even broad daylight.

I personally think guns just shouldn't exist, but people will argue that we need them for self-defense against animals and other people. I would contend that society would be better if we were a weaponless one. Not just guns, but things like nukes, computer viruses, biolgical weapons, etc... However, people will just argue that is just a "pie in the sky" and unrealistic because it is against human nature.

To that last argument I would say human nature has been corrupted, this is evident. Living here has taught me that, but just giving up on people like that seems like taking the cheap way out. I believe there is something better for us than simply gunning each other down or raining napalm on our enemies. I believe there is basic good in people that shines through the rough exteriors. Unfortunately our current circumstances makes us victims of our own doing.

Call me a stupid idealist, but that is how I feel. If people would just surrender and yield to one another out of mutual respect it would go a long way. Gun control isn't about politics. It us more about self-control. People lack the self-control to just live on a day-to-day basis in harmony rather than conflict. With over 7 Billion people in the world I realize this is easier said than done. Doing the right thing is never the "easier" option. You have to swallow your pride and your ego. But it is never too late for a change. I think if people lived more like that there would be less homicides. Call it unrealistic if you like but you know that is how it ought to be. That is why it is ideal-istic.

So where does all that fit within the scope of this topic? Simple, eliminate guns and eliminate the need for gun control in the first place. Simpler than everyone thought, ain't it? That is my stance and I won't argue it.

Nah, I won't sell out like that though. In the real world where guns continue to be manufactured and distrubuted, there is no good way to control them. Bad guys will always get their guns and good people will always die. It is a sad and unfortunate fact. Even if you flat out abolished the 2nd Ammendment it would not stop violent crimes and illegal activities from occurring. Guns are just a symptom of a larger issue and that issue is a sick society. Not giving Crazy-Steve access to a gun doesn't get rid of Crazy-Steve. Nor does it stop Drug Dealer Mike from strangling the guy that just ripped him off $1,200 in cocaine. If you feel having stricter gun laws will make you safer than you are mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...

like what some people said above, no matter what there can be no stop to any of these things, we might not be able to stop it but we sure can slow it down. there always will be ways around gun violence no matter what. if we stop the production of guns there will be some people still getting guns to kill. i do think everyone should have a gun but only for self defense. but that will lead to more killings and violence. i honestly hate guns and want all guns out of existence in this world. but there is no way to stop that. even if we could travel in time and prevent war, one we couldn't and two if we somehow we did then the future would be totally different and maybe we wouldn't have computers and TV and electricity.

my point is... we can't solve every problem out there. we just have to deal with it and do the best we can at stopping the crazy messed up sycho people, and not just murderers also sociopaths, rapists, molesters, etc... are included. there is really nothing we can do except prevent these thing as best we can. but in my perspective in gun control i think we should bank all guns period! but of course that won't stop anything from happening.

No matter what the government labels as legal or illegal, if you want to kill someone you're not going to care. It's not like:

"That guy at school called me a dumb, I'm going to KILL him! Aww shucks, having a gun is illegal, never mind, call it off."

Even if someone couldn't get a gun (and believe me, the only people who really couldn't are the ones who actually care about not breaking the law), if they really wanted to kill someone there are near limitless ways to do it. You can get drowned, stabbed, run over, strangled, etc.

If anything it should be regulated, not banned! One day when I have my own land I'd like to purchase an assortment of produce and firearms then blow it all up! I'd also like to shoot an RPG at a junk car but I think that might be where the government draws the line. I still wish I could though, and it' totally lame that I'll probably never get to use such a weapon irresponsibly for fun because these messed up killers want to use it for murder, which is why it was made but still.

I think what I'm getting at is if everyone shot at fruit instead of other people, we'd be a lot better off.

• Like 1

i agree with stab stab stab. and i for one is one person that really cares about the law and other rules. I would dread breaking the law. the only reason i'd EVER want a gun is for the fun of shooting cans, targets on trees, hunting, and to just shoot things that are non living and or animals. but i don't think animals are here for our fun and game either. i just like to hunt and fish, and eat meat depending on the animal. other wise i'd NEVER want to touch a real gun in my life.

• Like 1

Oh, gun laws will prevent school shootings?

Please, do tell me all about how criminals follow laws.

Guns are good in the right hands, used for self-defense. It's wrong to place the punishment of gun restriction on people who don't use their guns for evil things.

• Like 1