Ideas for Halo5

odst007

I have many ideas for Halo 5, but there is one idea that always sticks in my mind. It's something that's always been overlooked. The history of the SPARTAN IIs. Yes, we read about it in the book "Halo the Fall of Reach" but I wanna see something that actually strikes you right in the chest. I've actually come up with a scenario of my own for this idea. Please give it a read and like this if you think it would be a good idea.

At some point during the campaign, we see a cutscene where John (in complete Mjolnir) Armour and he's basically got a moment to himself. It goes quiet, and some soft strings play. The camera pans towards his golden visor. As the camera flies into his visor, we are taken back in time to when he was a child. He's waking up in this strange place along with 74 other children and big men shouting "Up! Get out of bed! Trainee, get OUT of your bed!" The sounds of those trainers voices echoing through his head.

Then we see him with Sam and Kelly. "I'm Sam, we can be friends if you want, I mean it's no big deal."

Then we see the Spartans training like crazy. Being pushed to the very limit. I want to see them learning how to shoot, stab, kick, punch and survive. I read somewhere that they often had exercise battle contests with Tango Company (A platoon of battle hardened marines) while being at the age of 10 - 14 (And winning).

I think we only need to see defining moments of the Spartan's lives. Moments they never forget. Imagine this as a 3 minute cutscene/flashback that finishes with John waking up after the augmentations being much bigger (and taller) than he was before, and only seeing 32 Spartans remaining. I think that just seeing all those children slowly becoming killing machines would be both fascinating, and saddening. Something Halo does beautifully. I think that that would definitely be a cutscene no Halo fan would ever forget.

• Like 1

come onnnn please dont bring cortana, master chief, and the arbitor, or the flood , non like that cuz they been on halo 123 just talk about the characters they forgot about which was the team ODST with buck,dairs,rookie, romeo,mickey,dutch, and i think im forgeting someone bc come one people seriosly talkin about chief just idk like eating the same food every day for too week ofcorse u get tired of it just dont weapons need to be silencer, like in halo 3 odst they where silencer weapons and the songs while walkin in new bombusum was just realaxing and the song they were just idk made me sad cuz they were touchy but if halo 5 come with the same stuff as halo 12 and 3 with chief and halo 4 then 343 bungie was just better then you all bc they knew that samething just gets boring like call of duty they dont do the same story ove and over againg they do another like from black ops they went to mw3 then from there they went to black ops 2 just dont talk about the same stuff dont forget about the other characters and the ODST team was better then all them bc with marine armory the acomplish soo much just imagine with spartan armory just please dont dont the same stuff with halo 5 other wise it just sucks and i not een gona wast money on the same game about the same person over and over againg

come onnnn please dont bring cortana, master chief, and the arbitor, or the flood , non like that cuz they been on halo 123 just talk about the characters they forgot about which was the team ODST with buck,dairs,rookie, romeo,mickey,dutch, and i think im forgeting someone bc come one people seriosly talkin about chief just idk like eating the same food every day for too week ofcorse u get tired of it just dont weapons need to be silencer, like in halo 3 odst they where silencer weapons and the songs while walkin in new bombusum was just realaxing and the song they were just idk made me sad cuz they were touchy but if halo 5 come with the same stuff as halo 12 and 3 with chief and halo 4 then 343 bungie was just better then you all bc they knew that samething just gets boring like call of duty they dont do the same story ove and over againg they do another like from black ops they went to mw3 then from there they went to black ops 2 just dont talk about the same stuff dont forget about the other characters and the ODST team was better then all them bc with marine armory the acomplish soo much just imagine with spartan armory just please dont dont the same stuff with halo 5 other wise it just sucks and i not een gona wast money on the same game about the same person over and over againg

I have many ideas for Halo 5, but there is one idea that always sticks in my mind. It's something that's always been overlooked. The history of the SPARTAN IIs. Yes, we read about it in the book "Halo the Fall of Reach" but I wanna see something that actually strikes you right in the chest. I've actually come up with a scenario of my own for this idea. Please give it a read and like this if you think it would be a good idea.

At some point during the campaign, we see a cutscene where John (in complete Mjolnir) Armour and he's basically got a moment to himself. It goes quiet, and some soft strings play. The camera pans towards his golden visor. As the camera flies into his visor, we are taken back in time to when he was a child. He's waking up in this strange place along with 74 other children and big men shouting "Up! Get out of bed! Trainee, get OUT of your bed!" The sounds of those trainers voices echoing through his head.

Then we see him with Sam and Kelly. "I'm Sam, we can be friends if you want, I mean it's no big deal."

Then we see the Spartans training like crazy. Being pushed to the very limit. I want to see them learning how to shoot, stab, kick, punch and survive. I read somewhere that they often had exercise battle contests with Tango Company (A platoon of battle hardened marines) while being at the age of 10 - 14 (And winning).

I think we only need to see defining moments of the Spartan's lives. Moments they never forget. Imagine this as a 3 minute cutscene/flashback that finishes with John waking up after the augmentations being much bigger (and taller) than he was before, and only seeing 32 Spartans remaining. I think that just seeing all those children slowly becoming killing machines would be both fascinating, and saddening. Something Halo does beautifully. I think that that would definitely be a cutscene no Halo fan would ever forget.

I really like this and the part were it closes in on John's visor while in the back round you here the emotional theme from Halo2.....Watch it here
It is the Gondola Ride during a mission....The part the song is at=5:37 HAVE FUN ITS GOOD

Anyways then he look up at the sun bluring down onto whatever planet he might be on.

I do and i Dont They have to bring back the Chief but cortana might be gone except because of Hasey they could replicate her to make another A.I. but if that doesnt happen will be stuck with some other jackass whom we will proboly end up liking anyways. But the flood are not gone....yes in Halo3 you think that their gone but in Halo Annivursary its shows the flood crash land on a planet...THAT IS NOT THE RING THE CHIEF WAS ON.

Thank you for the reply

I'd like to see the return of 2 characters. The Arbiter and the Didact. If you think about it the Arbiter is still on Earth because his half of the Forward Unto Dawn got through the Slip space portal in Halo 3. The Didact should return because he is far too important to just kill off like it seems apparent in Halo 4. But I think that he the orange spiral he fell into was a Slip space portal and he is just lost in space somewhere. He is pretty much the most important Antagonist of the entire Halo story and I think it would be a great shame if 343 was to discard the Didact. Halo 4 is the first in the Reclaimer trilogy and I would really like to see the Didact and the Arbiter in at least Halo 5 if not the probable epic end to the story in Halo 6. The Hornet from Halo 3 would be nice to see again and I think more customization in the armour in multiplayer would be nice, like the option to change the colour of separate limbs etc. Also I prefer the Xp that was used in Halo Reach to the new SP (Spartan Points) in Halo 4, maybe going back to that could happen. But apart from those things, 343 you're doing a great job! Thanks.

I think the Carbine should kill in six shots instead of seven, have a larger clip, and have a 3x zoom. Even though it is not a plasma weapon, it could be balanced out with an overheat feature that disables the gun for a second after seven rapidly fired shots. This ensures that people can't spam bullets; they have to manage the overheat.

• Like 1

I think the Carbine should kill in six shots instead of seven, have a larger clip, and have a 3x zoom. Even though it is not a plasma weapon, it could be balanced out with an overheat feature that disables the gun for a second after seven rapidly fired shots. This ensures that people can't spam bullets; they have to manage the overheat.

I agree

Great thread and you basicly listed everything I have wanted added since halo 3, also the coding with the 4 ODST's on that firefight map is probably different then an actual editable firefight map. And I also like your idea on wreckage as I always wanted to build a map inside a shipyard, halo reach's map didn't quite fulfill that feeling. Anyways nice post, and since your new, welcome!

I'd like to see the return of 2 characters. The Arbiter and the Didact. If you think about it the Arbiter is still on Earth because his half of the Forward Unto Dawn got through the Slip space portal in Halo 3. The Didact should return because he is far too important to just kill off like it seems apparent in Halo 4. But I think that he the orange spiral he fell into was a Slip space portal and he is just lost in space somewhere. He is pretty much the most important Antagonist of the entire Halo story and I think it would be a great shame if 343 was to discard the Didact. Halo 4 is the first in the Reclaimer trilogy and I would really like to see the Didact and the Arbiter in at least Halo 5 if not the probable epic end to the story in Halo 6. The Hornet from Halo 3 would be nice to see again and I think more customization in the armour in multiplayer would be nice, like the option to change the colour of separate limbs etc. Also I prefer the Xp that was used in Halo Reach to the new SP (Spartan Points) in Halo 4, maybe going back to that could happen. But apart from those things, 343 you're doing a great job! Thanks.

Sorry to double post but the arbiter isn't on earth, if you read the books he's back on sanghellos.

Alot of people want placeable AI's ..... This is difficult and requires work, it worked in Far Cry 3 since there was a limit to how many you could place, so thats the only way it would work in Halo.

Other then that these are some good ideas.

Most of them have probably already been thought up by 343, just chose not to implement them for one reason or another.

• 2 weeks later...

hey dude great ideas but i just wanted to add some things i think would be neat to that. 

1st i want a terrain editor in forge where you can make hills, mountains, valleys, rivers that kind of stuff

2nd i think it would be so cool to have useable boats as vehicles in forge and maybe even campaign

3rd which has been said  before is larger air vehicles or human flying vehicles

4th also and maybe most of all i want  firefight to come back with the ability to use custom maps

these are my top recommendations but with a game like halo they really cant go wrong

forge world in the unsc infinety and around the ship

1.pelican in forge

2.phantom in forge

3.felcon in forge and campaine 

4.scarab in forge

5.hornet in forge

and 6. mac gun in forge and campaine

be able to go into frigates and shoot mac weapons from infinity and a frigate also forunner vehical we should be able to go into a covenet frigate like blue base in the 2 covenet frieget and red in unsc infinity and unsc frigate also be able to desroy frigates an infinity    

also trip mine from halo 3

• 11 months later...

I hate to be the one to come in a piss on everyones parade, but a lot of the ideas or wants are just too "out of the ballpark".

I see a lot of talk about AI.  Firstly, you have to understand that a thing called "triggers", "zones" and "pathfinding" is needed to make AI function properly.  There is a reason why AI was on Installation 01, and it wasn't because it was easy to do.  The ODST bipeds were specifically compiled into that map for a scenario file for players using Chief.  In order to allow any kind of AI or NPC character, we would have to be able to edit/write/rewrite certain fields only accessable to the core scenario_file tag.  As many do not know, the edits we make in Forge are simple top layer variant settings, and not core .map edits.

The other thing that bothers me, is the need for a terrain editor.  Terrain just like any or most geometry in halo is a BSP.  A BSP has collision (coll) and physics (phmo) compiled and assigned to each plane/face/edge/vertice when the map level mesh is compiled into a proper sbsp tag.  Editing the terrain would require us the ability to recompile physics and collision on the level mesh, which aint happening on a console.  At least not to any true working degree.

While I agree that things like this would be cool, it just isn't going to happen.  If it were possible to do these things, we would have seen some of it in Halo 4.  And for the record, the crappy lighting thing they tried to pass off as groundbreaking or next-gen....it sucked.  It was just a form of using prebaked lighting schemas to simulate actual shadow casting, and most of the lighting shiz had to do with first person camera, not environmental lighting.

• Like 1

I hate to be the one to come in a **** on everyones parade, but a lot of the ideas or wants are just too "out of the ballpark".

The other thing that bothers me, is the need for a terrain editor.  Terrain just like any or most geometry in halo is a BSP.  A BSP has collision (coll) and physics (phmo) compiled and assigned to each plane/face/edge/vertice when the map level mesh is compiled into a proper sbsp tag.  Editing the terrain would require us the ability to recompile physics and collision on the level mesh, which aint happening on a console.  At least not to any true working degree.

Well terrain editing did happen in Far Cry 2 (did a very good job too it puts Halo 4's forge to shame) and it is happening in Project Spark so it is possible on a console. I don't think 343i would want to do it though purely out of resources and possibly time constraints. 

The difference is the engine.  Cryengine 2 and 3 use a static form of collision detection, meaning that the collision isn't precompiled, since the levels themselves use static non bsp formats.  That alone is why it was able to be done in Far Cry.  Unless M$ wants to start a completely new engine and have to completely redo or scrap all previous assets from the Halo franchise, there is no way to do it.

As for the possabilities of it on a console, yes and no.  While simple things like collision are easily do-able, there are a myriad of others that aren't possible or not easy to do.  Like with AI, you would need a separate memory space and executable process to compile needed tags, and then add them to a map source, then compile or "bake" the level.  Xbox isn't written to allow separate execution of apps, everything outside of the actual game is a simple widget API.

All I want is custom water.

Adjustable Depth, color, Temperature (icebergs and glaciers form when you make water cold, and bubbles and steam comes when you make it hot), Current/wave directions, and water flow speed (Stagnant water, or rivers moving so fast they kill you if you step in them).

I'm digging these ideas but some of them seem a little difficult to implement in the game. Maybe not since they're working with next-gen hardware now. 

I'd appreciate a quick timed counter attack system during assassinations. Now I know you're probably thinking of Battlefield 4's counter knife attacks and that IS where I drew my inspiration from but trust me, this is different. Say a button prompt pops up on your screen as you about to be assassinated. If pressed at the correct time it would prevent a player from killing you and a second prompt would become available but whoever presses it first finishes off the other.  For example say a player controlled spartan (or possibly even elite if they return) is about to stab you in neck from behind. You press the button prompted at the correct time and your character grabs the others' arm and flips 'em over your shoulder but the person you just flipped trips you and you fall as well. Your enemy climbs on top of you and raises the blade, the second prompt pops up and the following occurs:

1. The enemy pressed the prompt first and shoves the blade in your chest

2. You pressed the prompt first and your character twists the blade around and forces your enemy to shove it through their throat or visor

A counter prompt type of mechanic could even work for vehicle hijacks. One example could be you're driving the warthog and an enemy hops in the passenger seat like how they usually do so they can pummel you out. In this situation you'd hold down the melee button for the amount of time it takes to perform an assassination and you character kicks the guy out of the passenger seat and they fall out only to have the rear tire roll over their face causing instant death. If the other person performs this on you then you would meet the same fate only on the driver side and they get to commandeer the vehicle after you have fallen.