Should money be on Forge?

Left4NewVegas

The budget is there for a reason. it represents the games ability to process information. The game engine can only handle a certain amount of information. The budget keeps you from crashing the game with more objects on the map than it can handle. I know its a bummer to have limitations, but they actually make forge playable. With out them people would try and use a million pieces on a map and no one would be able to play on it.

• Like 8

I think there should be a budget to make sure the map will work. However I do not like how there are only so many available for a certain item. Sometimes I want to use a lot of building blocks and it just won't work with the item limit.

• Like 2

The problem comes down to the items themselves. More vertices, planes and faces = more collision detection. An object like tank or even a hallway, is more taxing than the 4 sided Colosseum wall. That is why certain objects have an abnormally low amount of spawnable slots. Aside from that, the visual mesh is very taxing as well. You may not notice framerate drops when playing alone or with 1 to 2 friends, but open a map with no limit up to players of 6 or more, and you would see and feel the lag.

It's like I said before, they don't add stuff like that just to be dicks or just because they can. It's there for a reason and whether or not you understand it, you have to except it.

The problem comes down to the items themselves. More vertices, planes and faces = more collision detection. An object like tank or even a hallway, is more taxing than the 4 sided Colosseum wall. That is why certain objects have an abnormally low amount of spawnable slots. Aside from that, the visual mesh is very taxing as well. You may not notice framerate drops when playing alone or with 1 to 2 friends, but open a map with no limit up to players of 6 or more, and you would see and feel the lag.

It's like I said before, they don't add stuff like that just to be dicks or just because they can. It's there for a reason and whether or not you understand it, you have to except it.

Considering I know absolutely nothing about Forge and the game design process this actually makes sense to me. I have forged only one map with a bunch of other people and it can be a pain when the collision detection on objects gets mucked up.

I always understood there was a reason for a limit (a game with out limits just isnt functional) but you put into words what I never could.

• 1 month later...

I think there should be a budget to make sure the map will work. However I do not like how there are only so many available for a certain item. Sometimes I want to use a lot of building blocks and it just won't work with the item limit.

I agree. I have always felt that there should be not limit to individual items, but still have the budget for the reasons others have stated. I have had many times I could have used more blocks, or more doors, etc, but ran out and had to make adjustments to my

Pretty much this^

Have you played on a modded map? I have, and the FPS is very slow if looking at many objects. Hopefully the next gen console will have higher budgets.

Hopefully the next gen will allow this, as I have heard that it will be 30 times faster. And given the advances with hardware, I should hope so. CV

design. This would still be keeping in tune with the notion of the budget to keep maps from being too heavy and glitched, while opening up a forger's options without corrupting the creative incentive to have limits such as the budget.